Software Product Lines and Moose

abergel
Hi!

Just to keep you informed.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The field of software product lines is about managing variations in software configuration. The control software systems installed in a car typically reflect the different options one may want on a car. The space of configuration is often ridiculously large. The system of a BMW line has more different configurations than the amount of atoms the Universe is made of.

Software product lines are classically represented as a tree using a simple visual language. Whereas efficient at specification time, this language has several shortcomings, including poor ability to scale and ineffectiveness at understanding a large description.

An ECOSud project has been granted by both the Chilean and the French national research agencies. The project involves the University of Chile and the Polytech Engineering school in Sophia Antipolis.

The topic of the project is to explore new ways to understand and verify large software product lines specified using the Familiar language [*]. First, a parser has been written using PetitParser. Second, a metamodelisation of the product lines has been made with Moose. The parser creates from a Familiar program an instance of the meta-model we designed. Glamour then gives us a navigation browser for free. Roassal is then used to visually represent a model structure and the result of their associated metrics.

A software product line specification involves many dimensions, e.g., the definition of a feature, interaction between features, constraints between group of features. All those dimensions cannot be effectively simultaneously explored. Roassal supports a large range of interactive visualization mechanisms to make a product line exploration effective.

The ECOSud project has been initiated in June 2012. It enables the mobility of researchers and will span until the end of next year.
Stay tuned!

[*] Familiar: https://nyx.unice.fr/projects/familiar/
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Software Product Lines and Moose

Tudor Girba-2
Cool.

It would be cool to have this as a piece of news on moosetechnology.org. Could you add it?

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 Jul 2012, at 23:02, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just to keep you informed.
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> The field of software product lines is about managing variations in software configuration. The control software systems installed in a car typically reflect the different options one may want on a car. The space of configuration is often ridiculously large. The system of a BMW line has more different configurations than the amount of atoms the Universe is made of.
>
> Software product lines are classically represented as a tree using a simple visual language. Whereas efficient at specification time, this language has several shortcomings, including poor ability to scale and ineffectiveness at understanding a large description.
>
> An ECOSud project has been granted by both the Chilean and the French national research agencies. The project involves the University of Chile and the Polytech Engineering school in Sophia Antipolis.
>
> The topic of the project is to explore new ways to understand and verify large software product lines specified using the Familiar language [*]. First, a parser has been written using PetitParser. Second, a metamodelisation of the product lines has been made with Moose. The parser creates from a Familiar program an instance of the meta-model we designed. Glamour then gives us a navigation browser for free. Roassal is then used to visually represent a model structure and the result of their associated metrics.
>
> A software product line specification involves many dimensions, e.g., the definition of a feature, interaction between features, constraints between group of features. All those dimensions cannot be effectively simultaneously explored. Roassal supports a large range of interactive visualization mechanisms to make a product line exploration effective.
>
> The ECOSud project has been initiated in June 2012. It enables the mobility of researchers and will span until the end of next year.
> Stay tuned!
>

> [*] Familiar: https://nyx.unice.fr/projects/familiar/
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: Software Product Lines and Moose

abergel
Sure!
Let me know when done

Alexandre

On Jul 17, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Cool.
>
> It would be cool to have this as a piece of news on moosetechnology.org. Could you add it?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> On 15 Jul 2012, at 23:02, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Just to keep you informed.
>>
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>> The field of software product lines is about managing variations in software configuration. The control software systems installed in a car typically reflect the different options one may want on a car. The space of configuration is often ridiculously large. The system of a BMW line has more different configurations than the amount of atoms the Universe is made of.
>>
>> Software product lines are classically represented as a tree using a simple visual language. Whereas efficient at specification time, this language has several shortcomings, including poor ability to scale and ineffectiveness at understanding a large description.
>>
>> An ECOSud project has been granted by both the Chilean and the French national research agencies. The project involves the University of Chile and the Polytech Engineering school in Sophia Antipolis.
>>
>> The topic of the project is to explore new ways to understand and verify large software product lines specified using the Familiar language [*]. First, a parser has been written using PetitParser. Second, a metamodelisation of the product lines has been made with Moose. The parser creates from a Familiar program an instance of the meta-model we designed. Glamour then gives us a navigation browser for free. Roassal is then used to visually represent a model structure and the result of their associated metrics.
>>
>> A software product line specification involves many dimensions, e.g., the definition of a feature, interaction between features, constraints between group of features. All those dimensions cannot be effectively simultaneously explored. Roassal supports a large range of interactive visualization mechanisms to make a product line exploration effective.
>>
>> The ECOSud project has been initiated in June 2012. It enables the mobility of researchers and will span until the end of next year.
>> Stay tuned!
>>

>> [*] Familiar: https://nyx.unice.fr/projects/familiar/
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Software Product Lines and Moose

Tudor Girba-2
I do not understand :). Do you want me to do it?

Doru

On 17 Jul 2012, at 23:10, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Sure!
> Let me know when done
>
> Alexandre
>

> On Jul 17, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Cool.
>>
>> It would be cool to have this as a piece of news on moosetechnology.org. Could you add it?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> On 15 Jul 2012, at 23:02, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Just to keep you informed.
>>>
>>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>> The field of software product lines is about managing variations in software configuration. The control software systems installed in a car typically reflect the different options one may want on a car. The space of configuration is often ridiculously large. The system of a BMW line has more different configurations than the amount of atoms the Universe is made of.
>>>
>>> Software product lines are classically represented as a tree using a simple visual language. Whereas efficient at specification time, this language has several shortcomings, including poor ability to scale and ineffectiveness at understanding a large description.
>>>
>>> An ECOSud project has been granted by both the Chilean and the French national research agencies. The project involves the University of Chile and the Polytech Engineering school in Sophia Antipolis.
>>>
>>> The topic of the project is to explore new ways to understand and verify large software product lines specified using the Familiar language [*]. First, a parser has been written using PetitParser. Second, a metamodelisation of the product lines has been made with Moose. The parser creates from a Familiar program an instance of the meta-model we designed. Glamour then gives us a navigation browser for free. Roassal is then used to visually represent a model structure and the result of their associated metrics.
>>>
>>> A software product line specification involves many dimensions, e.g., the definition of a feature, interaction between features, constraints between group of features. All those dimensions cannot be effectively simultaneously explored. Roassal supports a large range of interactive visualization mechanisms to make a product line exploration effective.
>>>
>>> The ECOSud project has been initiated in June 2012. It enables the mobility of researchers and will span until the end of next year.
>>> Stay tuned!
>>>

>>> [*] Familiar: https://nyx.unice.fr/projects/familiar/
>>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre
>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

Re: Software Product Lines and Moose

abergel
Posted on
        http://www.moosetechnology.org/
        http://www.moosetechnology.org/news/2012-07-18

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Jul 17, 2012, at 5:10 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> The ECOSud project has been initiated in June 2012. It enables the mobility of researchers and will span until the end of next year.
>>> Stay tuned!
>>>

>>> [*] Familiar: https://nyx.unice.fr/projects/familiar/
>>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre
>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Thanks.

Doru

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Posted on
>         http://www.moosetechnology.org/
>         http://www.moosetechnology.org/news/2012-07-18
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On Jul 17, 2012, at 5:10 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Sure!
>> Let me know when done
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On Jul 17, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Cool.
>>>
>>> It would be cool to have this as a piece of news on moosetechnology.org. Could you add it?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."
>>>

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Software Product Lines and Moose

abergel
by the way, it automatically tweet ? Really cool techno!

Alexandre

On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Doru
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Alexandre Bergel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Posted on
>>        http://www.moosetechnology.org/
>>        http://www.moosetechnology.org/news/2012-07-18
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On Jul 17, 2012, at 5:10 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Sure!
>>> Let me know when done
>>>
>>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Software Product Lines and Moose

Tudor Girba-2
I have a service setup (twitterfeed.com) to tweet the entry from RSS
feed of moosetechnology.org/blog.

Doru

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> by the way, it automatically tweet ? Really cool techno!
>
> Alexandre
>

> On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Doru
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Alexandre Bergel
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Posted on
>>>        http://www.moosetechnology.org/
>>>        http://www.moosetechnology.org/news/2012-07-18
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing has its own flow"

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Software Product Lines and Moose

SergeStinckwich
Great work Alex!

I play a little bit with your implementation.

Do you plan to add assets to features ?

Regards,

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just to keep you informed.
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> The field of software product lines is about managing variations in software configuration. The control software systems installed in a car typically reflect the different options one may want on a car. The space of configuration is often ridiculously large. The system of a BMW line has more different configurations than the amount of atoms the Universe is made of.
>
> Software product lines are classically represented as a tree using a simple visual language. Whereas efficient at specification time, this language has several shortcomings, including poor ability to scale and ineffectiveness at understanding a large description.
>
> An ECOSud project has been granted by both the Chilean and the French national research agencies. The project involves the University of Chile and the Polytech Engineering school in Sophia Antipolis.
>
> The topic of the project is to explore new ways to understand and verify large software product lines specified using the Familiar language [*]. First, a parser has been written using PetitParser. Second, a metamodelisation of the product lines has been made with Moose. The parser creates from a Familiar program an instance of the meta-model we designed. Glamour then gives us a navigation browser for free. Roassal is then used to visually represent a model structure and the result of their associated metrics.
>
> A software product line specification involves many dimensions, e.g., the definition of a feature, interaction between features, constraints between group of features. All those dimensions cannot be effectively simultaneously explored. Roassal supports a large range of interactive visualization mechanisms to make a product line exploration effective.
>
> The ECOSud project has been initiated in June 2012. It enables the mobility of researchers and will span until the end of next year.
> Stay tuned!
>

> [*] Familiar: https://nyx.unice.fr/projects/familiar/
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Software Product Lines and Moose

abergel
Well... This is not really in the roadmap as far as I know.

Alexandre