Software copy protection

drtau-4
I'm looking at copy protecting a Dolphin application and was wondering
if anyone had any suggestions regarding third party products.  I've tried
two products (ASProtect and PC Guard) which provide protection by
"wrapping" the executable in a protective layer.  However, both products
don't seem to work with Dophin executables - when I launch and unlock
the application, Dolphin complains that the image is corrupt; I believe that
this is because the protection software does some "massaging" of the
executable to prevent trace tools from tracking what is going on.  Does
anyone have any other suggestions for copy protection tools that work
with Dolphin?  Thanks.

Re: Software copy protection

Christopher J. Demers
drtau <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> I'm looking at copy protecting a Dolphin application and was wondering
> if anyone had any suggestions regarding third party products.  I've tried
> two products (ASProtect and PC Guard) which provide protection by
> "wrapping" the executable in a protective layer.  However, both products
> don't seem to work with Dophin executables - when I launch and unlock

I have used Protection Plus from Concept Software
 http://www.softwarekey.com/ ).  I used the DLL version with Dolphin a few
years ago.  There is a bit more work involved in this type of approach as
you have to code the DLL calls.  However it gives you a higher level of
control.  There can be risks regarding the use of an external library vs. an
EXE wrapper, but they include some encoding functions in the library to make
it harder to tamper with.

If it is too much trouble to use a DLL then you could still use an EXE
wrapper on a launcher EXE (coded in C, VB, or whatever) that would call your
Dolphin program with a special code as the argument.  You could apply an
algorithm to the time stamp in the launcher, then bury it in a string padded
with random numbers, then decode it in the Dolphin application, and make
sure it is close to the current time stamp (to discourage tampering).

There is no such thing as absolute protection, there is always some level of
risk.  It just depends how much risk you are comfortable with vs. the amount
of effort you are willing to expend.

Chris