Software update

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys. I am quite confused with software updates.

When you do right button -> system -> software update, what is updated? just the core ?

For example, tools like OB how must be updated ?

Thanks,

Mariano

Re: Software update

The update stream only includes update for the image pharo-core
for the pharo-dev you should use the universe browser.
We do not maintain tools that are build on top of pharo and let
their maintainers act as they wish.

Stef

On Mar 23, 2009, at 12:24 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. I am quite confused with software updates.
>
> When you do right button -> system -> software update, what is
> updated? just the core ?
>
> For example, tools like OB how must be updated ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mariano

Re: Software update

Damien Cassou
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The update stream only includes update for the image pharo-core
> for the pharo-dev you should use the universe browser.

Universe is currently not used anymore to build pharo-dev. I'm
building them using Monticello. The best solution is to save your code
externally using Monticello and use the most recent pharo-dev when it
comes out. That will ensure your code can be loaded in all images.
That's a best practice used by different people.

You can also use the update stream to update the core and MC to update
the packages you want but I do not recommend this solution.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Software update

Mariano Martinez Peck

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The update stream only includes update for the image pharo-core
> for the pharo-dev you should use the universe browser.

Universe is currently not used anymore to build pharo-dev. I'm
building them using Monticello. The best solution is to save your code
externally using Monticello and use the most recent pharo-dev when it
comes out. That will ensure your code can be loaded in all images.
That's a best practice used by different people.

Ok, thanks for explain me this. I will do it this way then.