({Some.Classname}--neverUsed)? what does this mean?

J G

({Some.Classname}--neverUsed)? what does this mean?

J G
Hi,

(VWNC 7.4.1 on Windows XP.)
VW shows on Transcript repeatedly:
'({A.Classname}--neverUsed)'

Now, I wander what's wrong with my A.Classname?

Thanks!
--
Best Regards,

Jim G

Re: ({Some.Classname}--neverUsed)? what does this mean?

kobetic
Jim Guo wrote:
> (VWNC 7.4.1 on Windows XP.)
> VW shows on Transcript repeatedly:
> '({A.Classname}--neverUsed)'
>
> Now, I wander what's wrong with my A.Classname?

There's usually more information included, something like

Net.MailMessageTest class #example1 - smtpClient - neverUsed

meaning that in the class method #example1 on class
Net.MailMessageTest there's a temporary variable smtpClient that is
never used and can probably be removed.

Is what you show the exact description that you get ?

HTH,

Martin

J G

Martin Kobetic <kobetic <at> rogers.com> writes:

> Jim Guo wrote:
> > (VWNC 7.4.1 on Windows XP.)
> > VW shows on Transcript repeatedly:
> > '({A.Classname}--neverUsed)'
> >
> > Now, I wander what's wrong with my A.Classname?
>
> There's usually more information included, something like
>
> Net.MailMessageTest class #example1 - smtpClient - neverUsed
>
> meaning that in the class method #example1 on class
> Net.MailMessageTest there's a temporary variable smtpClient that is
> never used and can probably be removed.
>
> Is what you show the exact description that you get ?
>
> HTH,
>
> Martin

Thank you Martin, but that's exactly what I get.

({namespaceHere.StockSplit} -  - neverUsed)  ({namespaceHere.StockSplit} -  -
neverRead) ....(repeats).....

It seems to appear when I try to publish to store, but I'm not very sure. Since
I only notice it when I'm about to save and leave the system.

Thanks again!

Yours,

Jim

J G

Re: ({Some.Classname}--neverUsed)? what does this mean?

J G
I may have solved the problem. It must have been a variable that named in
Chinese characters which not used and VW somewhat failed to display the name.

thanks!

RE: Re: ({Some.Classname}--neverUsed)? what does this mean?

Steven Kelly

I'm not so sure the cause is Chinese characters. I know I've seen this
warning in the Transcript, and we certainly don't have any Asian
characters. I can't find an instance with neverUsed, but in a 7.1 image
the following method gives the following error when loaded from Store:

MetaCase.GF.PathFill>>
originShapeFor: baseShape apex: shapeApex maxRadius: maxRadius
        ^baseShape translatedBy: shapeApex negated

({MetaCase.GF.PathFill} -  - neverRead)

The maxRadius argument is indeed not read, but its name is missing from
the error message.

However, in a 7.4.1 image that loaded the same method, I don't see the
corresponding error in the transcript, so maybe this is already
corrected.

HTH,
Steve

J G

Steven Kelly <stevek <at> metacase.com> writes:

> I'm not so sure the cause is Chinese characters. I know I've seen this
> warning in the Transcript, and we certainly don't have any Asian
> characters. I can't find an instance with neverUsed, but in a 7.1 image
> the following method gives the following error when loaded from Store:
>
> MetaCase.GF.PathFill>>
> originShapeFor: baseShape apex: shapeApex maxRadius: maxRadius
> ^baseShape translatedBy: shapeApex negated
>
> ({MetaCase.GF.PathFill} -  - neverRead)
>
> The maxRadius argument is indeed not read, but its name is missing from
> the error message.
>
> However, in a 7.4.1 image that loaded the same method, I don't see the
> corresponding error in the transcript, so maybe this is already
> corrected.
>
> HTH,
> Steve

Yes, you're right. I failed to check this list first when I saw this warning
this evening again, and I finally created a super class to the problemed one and
refactored each of the instance variables and methods up to find that there was
a temp var not used in one method.
After that I deleted the original one and renamed the new super class. All seems
to be OK this time :(

Thanks,

Jim G