classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Some STON Changes

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

Christophe Demarey had a nice idea (and he implemented it too!) that extends the syntax (or more precisely, the usage of the syntax) of STON a bit, and I just integrated it. Thank you, Christophe !

His core idea is to use the colon syntax for Associations. So now you can also write:

#foo:1

which will become

#foo->1

and vice versa.

This does not change the way maps (either for dictionaries or arbitrary objects) work. In practice, this means that there are now 2 closely related expressions:

STON fromString: '[ #foo:1, #bar:2 ]'.

=> { #foo->1. #bar->2 }

STON fromString: '{ #foo:1, #bar:2 }'.

=> a Dictionary(#bar->2 #foo->1 )

In the first case you get an Array of explicit Associations, in the second case you get a Dictionary which uses Associations internally, but that is an implementation detail. And of course you can send #asDictionary to the array.

Note that nesting is also possible ;-)

#foo : 1 : 2

means

#foo->(1->2)

Anyway, I think from a Smalltalk perspective this is totally cool. As far as I can see, this addition does not result in conflicts.

Another addition that was requested by Christophe that I added was a way to control which instance variables get written and/or the order in which they get written.

This can be done by overwriting Object class>>#stonAllInstVarNames

Sven

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Some STON Changes

stepharo
we will have to udpate the chapter.
I added the text in the chapter :)

Stef

Le 27/11/14 12:03, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Christophe Demarey had a nice idea (and he implemented it too!) that extends the syntax (or more precisely, the usage of the syntax) of STON a bit, and I just integrated it. Thank you, Christophe !
>
> His core idea is to use the colon syntax for Associations. So now you can also write:
>
> #foo:1
>
> which will become
>
> #foo->1
>
> and vice versa.
>
> This does not change the way maps (either for dictionaries or arbitrary objects) work. In practice, this means that there are now 2 closely related expressions:
>
> STON fromString: '[ #foo:1, #bar:2 ]'.
>
>   => { #foo->1. #bar->2 }
>
> STON fromString: '{ #foo:1, #bar:2 }'.
>
>   => a Dictionary(#bar->2 #foo->1 )
>
> In the first case you get an Array of explicit Associations, in the second case you get a Dictionary which uses Associations internally, but that is an implementation detail. And of course you can send #asDictionary to the array.
>
> Note that nesting is also possible ;-)
>
> #foo : 1 : 2
>
> means
>
> #foo->(1->2)
>
> Anyway, I think from a Smalltalk perspective this is totally cool. As far as I can see, this addition does not result in conflicts.
>
> Another addition that was requested by Christophe that I added was a way to control which instance variables get written and/or the order in which they get written.
>
> This can be done by overwriting Object class>>#stonAllInstVarNames