Some beginner questions ....

marten
Hello,

and again some simple questions:

-> what is the state of Unicode support within Gemstone. I thought about
porting ICU to Gemstone to get access to Unicode ...

-> is it possible to start asynchronous API call's

-> if I want to start storing my data - I assume to must have a root
object, where to store the values. Where should this main root object be
located. (this is more a FAQ ...)

Marten

Re: Some beginner questions ....

NorbertHartl

Am 24.11.2011 um 15:52 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:

> Hello,
>
> and again some simple questions:
>
> -> what is the state of Unicode support within Gemstone. I thought about porting ICU to Gemstone to get access to Unicode ...

What do you mean with "get access to Unicode" ?

Have a look at http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/ServiceVMExample I'm not sure what exactly the state is there. But I guess Dale and Nick will tell you something.

> -> if I want to start storing my data - I assume to must have a root object, where to store the values. Where should this main root object be located. (this is more a FAQ ...)

You have several choices. Different to other OODBs where the code is not persistent there is a distinct persisten root. In GemStone all classes are persistent so if you manage your object instances on the class side then they will be persisted, too. If you like to have a special place to attach your objects you can do it in the UserGlobals dictionary.

Norbert

Re: Some beginner questions ....

marten
I mean: sorting, comparing, searching in UTF8, UTF16 and/or UTF32
oriented strings, translating between code pages

Marten

Am 24.11.2011 um 17:03 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:

> I mean: sorting, comparing, searching in UTF8, UTF16 and/or UTF32 oriented strings, translating between code pages

I don't know. I know there is support for reading utf-8 but I never encounteres the other two. There are multibyte character classes in GemStone. But I don't know if there is any collation support in GemStone. Actually I never worked with conversion or transliteration in GemStone. Now I want to know myself what GemStone provides.

Norbert

> Marten
>
> Am 24.11.2011 16:58, schrieb Norbert Hartl:
>>
>> Am 24.11.2011 um 15:52 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> and again some simple questions:
>>>
>>> ->  what is the state of Unicode support within Gemstone. I thought about porting ICU to Gemstone to get access to Unicode ...
>>>
>> What do you mean with "get access to Unicode" ?

Re: Some beginner questions ....

Dale Henrichs
Marten,

Unicode support:

  GemStone has support for the full range of the Unicode character set. The
  classes String, DoubleByteString and QuadByteString are used for internal
  manipulation. As noted in the discussion with Carla and Issue 321[1] we have
  a bug in our collating algorithm with regards to characters with diacritical
  marks. We have primitive support for encoding/decoding Unicode strings into UTf8.

Asynchronous API calls:

  I assume you are talking about FFI and the answer is no.

Persistence:

  Here's an excerpt from the Programming Guide[2]:

    GemStone is based on the Smalltalk object model. Like a single-user Smalltalk
    image, it consists of classes, methods, instances and meta objects. Persistence is
    established by attaching new objects to other persistent objects. All objects are
    derived from a named root (AllUsers). Objects that have been attached and
    committed to the repository are visible to all other users. However, unlike client
    Smalltalks with memory-based images, the GemStone repository is accessed
    through disk caches, so it is not limited in size by available memory. A GemStone
    repository can contain billions of objects. Because each object in a repository has a
    unique object identifier (known as an OOP—object-oriented pointer), GemStone
    applications can access any object without having to know its physical location.

  And here's a different level of detail:

    The mother of all roots is AllUsers a collection of UserProfiles (GemStone users).
    Each UserProfile has a SymbolList which contains a collection of named
    SymbolDictionaries. One of the SymbolDictionaries is named #UserGlobals and is the
    moral equivalent of Smalltalk in a a single user Smalltalk (note that in GLASS, we've
    arranged to map the global Smalltalk onto UserGlobals). Each user has a unique
    UserGlobals SymbolDictionary. You can persist objects by stashing them in UserGlobals.
    Classes are installed in SymbolDictionaries in the users SymbolList...

  If you want an in depth picture of GemStone it is worth reading the Programming Guide[2],
  System Administration Guide[3] and Topaz Programming Guide[4].

Dale

[1] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/detail?id=321
[2] http://community.gemstone.com/download/attachments/6816350/GS64-ProgGuide-3.0.pdf?version=1
[3] http://community.gemstone.com/download/attachments/6816350/GS64-SysAdminGuide-3.0.pdf?version=1