Some more remarks

Ted Bracht-2
Hi Andy and Blair,

some more remarks:

- The simple class browser now has all the new features added to it, which
makes it a very advanced browser. Either drop it altogether or keep it
simple (functionality as in the old versions)

- create accessors - 'all' option, showing the old select list dialog to
remove some (the new method, three menus down, one at a time,, is almost
slower than to create the accessors manually). Should it really be under the
'refactorings' submenu?

shift-ctrl-s doesn't always work - don't know how yet, but it doesn't do
anything then, even though ctrl-s does work then (I think it is when the
whole method is in bold blue like the selector). Create new method, then
everything becomes the selector colour - bold blue. Shift-ctrl-s doesn't
work, ctrl-s does and after that shift-ctrl-s works as well.

In the chb: when changing the instance variables in the class definition and
then change class, the unsaved changes dialog shows up. Select yes to retain
the changes, it still changes class. However the method list still shows the
methods of the original class (in grey - as inherited methods). Also a
problem when having two chb's open on the same class. Change one, the other
still shows the old definition, when change focus to the old definition and
then change class, 'retain changes' dialog shows but whatever you answer is
ignored and chb doesn't work properly.

The inspector is impressive. How is it decided whether an instance variable
is a published aspect? I've got a simple subclass of Model, all instance
variables for which I've got accessors are shown, except a collection.

Cheers

(enjoying myself playing with the sunit test suite)

Ted

Re: Some more remarks

Ted Bracht-2
"Ted Bracht" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Hi Andy and Blair,
>
> some more remarks:

 From package browser with a selected package have an option to open a system
browser on that package

Create new package with directory selected. After creation of package,
directory tree is back at the top. I would expect it to stay where it is.

In the system browser have a way to find a package and have a way to find a
package directory

In the system browser either have a way to see the package comment or open a
package browser on the selected package

The package browser - scripts tab doesn't have a currently selected tab. I
would expect to first tab (pre-install) to be selected, up until the user
selects a different one.

The inherited methods are rightly shown read-only. But they don't have a
scrollbar if they need one so they can't be read in full

When changing class in the CHB with an inherited method selected, but the
class comment shown, the tab changes back to the method. When having a local
method selected or no method selected at all, the comment tab stays selected
when changing class.

Not sure about the dictionary inspector. Keys are neatly listed in the Value
tab, but I would like to see the value that is associated with that key.
Maybe as a tooltip? Didn't really grasp the use of the 'add' button on the
Value tab there.

Ted

Re: Some more remarks

Blair McGlashan
Ted

You wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

> some more remarks:
>
> - The simple class browser now has all the new features added to it, which
> makes it a very advanced browser. Either drop it altogether or keep it
> simple (functionality as in the old versions)

That isn't really true. It has picked up some of the changes by virtue of
"inheriting" the ClassHierarchySelector default view, but it certainly does
not have all the features. Its main purpose is to consume less screen real
estate for use on small screens (the tool bar is shorter so it does not
wrap, for example), and to generally be less resource intensive.

> - create accessors - 'all' option, showing the old select list dialog to
> remove some (the new method, three menus down, one at a time,, is almost
> slower than to create the accessors manually). Should it really be under
the
> 'refactorings' submenu?

It is a refactoring, just one of the few that Dolphin happened to do before.
There is also the related "Abstract Variable" refactoring that is usually
more appropriate for anything other than a new class, and hence it makes
sense to group these two operations under the Refactorings menu.

To create more than one set of accessors at once, switch to the variables
pane of the method filter, select the variables you want (it is a
multi-select list), and then use the context menu.

> shift-ctrl-s doesn't always work - don't know how yet, but it doesn't do
> anything then, even though ctrl-s does work then (I think it is when the
> whole method is in bold blue like the selector). Create new method, then
> everything becomes the selector colour - bold blue. Shift-ctrl-s doesn't
> work, ctrl-s does and after that shift-ctrl-s works as well.

Thanks, this is due to an error in the command enablement. Defect # 481.

> In the chb: when changing the instance variables in the class definition
and
> then change class, the unsaved changes dialog shows up. Select yes to
retain
> the changes, it still changes class. However the method list still shows
the
> methods of the original class (in grey - as inherited methods).

Thanks, defect #482.

>...Also a
> problem when having two chb's open on the same class. Change one, the
other
> still shows the old definition, when change focus to the old definition
and
> then change class, 'retain changes' dialog shows but whatever you answer
is
> ignored and chb doesn't work properly.

Thanks, I'll record this under the same defect since I suspect it is
related.

> The inspector is impressive. How is it decided whether an instance
variable
> is a published aspect? I've got a simple subclass of Model, all instance
> variables for which I've got accessors are shown, except a collection.

See Object>>publicAccessorAspects

Regards

Blair

Re: Some more remarks

Blair McGlashan
Ted

You wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

> "Ted Bracht" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> > Hi Andy and Blair,
> >
> > some more remarks:
> >

> From package browser with a selected package have an option to open a
system
> browser on that package

Thanks, already recorded as defect #475.

> Create new package with directory selected. After creation of package,
> directory tree is back at the top. I would expect it to stay where it is.

I'd agree, and this is recorded as defect #483. I don't know whether there
will be time to improve the refresh behaviour of the package folder tree
before the release though.

> In the system browser have a way to find a package and have a way to find
> package directory

Can you elaborate? Presumably you mean find by name?

> In the system browser either have a way to see the package comment or open
> package browser on the selected package

The latter (see above).

> The package browser - scripts tab doesn't have a currently selected tab. I
> would expect to first tab (pre-install) to be selected, up until the user
> selects a different one.

I believe that is deliberate. Andy to confirm.

> The inherited methods are rightly shown read-only. But they don't have a
> scrollbar if they need one so they can't be read in full

Do you mean that the scrollbar is disabled?

> When changing class in the CHB with an inherited method selected, but the
> class comment shown, the tab changes back to the method. When having a
local
> method selected or no method selected at all, the comment tab stays
selected
> when changing class.

Defect #484.

> Not sure about the dictionary inspector. Keys are neatly listed in the
Value
> tab, but I would like to see the value that is associated with that key.
> Maybe as a tooltip?

I'll record that as an enhancement (#485), but it may not be actioned for
this release.

>...Didn't really grasp the use of the 'add' button on the
> Value tab there.

It is to allow you to add new {key,value} pairs, just as one could do in the
old dictionary inspector.

Regards

Blair

Re: Some more remarks

Ted Bracht-2
Hi Blair,

> > In the system browser have a way to find a package and have a way to
find
> > package directory
>
> Can you elaborate? Presumably you mean find by name?

Find package by name like you find a class would do I guess (wildcards
supported). When found, open the directory where the package resides.

> > The inherited methods are rightly shown read-only. But they don't have a
> > scrollbar if they need one so they can't be read in full
>
> Do you mean that the scrollbar is disabled?

I think I came across a method with lots of comment that actually didn't
have a scrollbar, but not sure which method it was. Anyway, I guess the
scrollbar shouldn't be disabled?

> >...Didn't really grasp the use of the 'add' button on the
> > Value tab there.
>
> It is to allow you to add new {key,value} pairs, just as one could do in
the
> old dictionary inspector.

Never noticed - have a look in the 'old' D4 ;-)

> Regards
>
> Blair

Cheers,

Ted

Re: Some more remarks

Ted Bracht-2
Hi Blair,

> > - create accessors - 'all' option, showing the old select list dialog to
> > remove some (the new method, three menus down, one at a time,, is almost
> > slower than to create the accessors manually). Should it really be under
> the
> > 'refactorings' submenu?
>
> It is a refactoring, just one of the few that Dolphin happened to do
before.
> There is also the related "Abstract Variable" refactoring that is usually
> more appropriate for anything other than a new class, and hence it makes
> sense to group these two operations under the Refactorings menu.
>
> To create more than one set of accessors at once, switch to the variables
> pane of the method filter, select the variables you want (it is a
> multi-select list), and then use the context menu.

Thanks, I'll document that ;-)

> Regards
>
> Blair

Cheers,