Some new book chapters :)

stepharo

Re: Some new book chapters :)

kilon.alios
great work guys.

there is also one incoming for UPBE , an intro to OOP.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 11:39 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys

Here are new book chapters

   Teapot Rest extension on top of Zinc
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/EnterprisePharo/tree/master/Teapot

   Mustache: template system
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/EnterprisePharo/tree/master/Mustache

    TinyChat: a small chat
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoInProgress/tree/master/TinyChat

you can find the pdf versions in https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/

Re: Some new book chapters :)

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks!

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Some new book chapters :)

jfabry

And an almost ready chapter on Zinc Client also :-)
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/EnterprisePharo/tree/master/Zinc-HTTP-Client

> On Mar 28, 2015, at 18:39, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi guys
>
> Here are new book chapters
>
>   Teapot Rest extension on top of Zinc
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/EnterprisePharo/tree/master/Teapot
>
>   Mustache: template system
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/EnterprisePharo/tree/master/Mustache
>
>    TinyChat: a small chat
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoInProgress/tree/master/TinyChat
>
> you can find the pdf versions in https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Some new book chapters :)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
kilon.alios wrote
there is also one incoming for UPBE , an intro to OOP.
I read this. It is a great student exercise, but IMHO it should not be considered for integration. It does not emphasize the key features of OOP - message sending and late binding - or the tremendous benefits. This is an important topic that should be written about by a master OOP practitioner. New users would be better off contributing to nuts and bolts - do this, then do that - sort or things, or finding parts that are unclear from their perspective.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Some new book chapters :)

kilon.alios
"It does not emphasize the key features of OOP -
message sending and late binding - or the tremendous benefits."

I am glad it does not , because if it did , it would be not a Introductory chapter to OOP.

"This is an
important topic that should be written about by a master OOP practitioner."

Good luck, are you willing to wait another 5 years ? Because newcomers to Pharo with no clue to OOP finding fragmented information around the book about classes and objects, dont think will wait that long. I doubt if they last even a day.

On the subject of message passing there is dedicate chapter for it in Chapter 4 and its also explained in Chapter 5.  Late binding again its an advanced subject that will need its own chapter.

For now my focus is making sure the reader understand the very basics of OOP. Without such basic knowledge is pointless to talk about advanced OOP features in Pharo.  One can easily write a book on OOP with Pharo to explain the full potential, but since there are very few people contributing to documentation it comes down to the fact that every single contribution counts and the fact that UPBE must have an Introduction to OOP 5 years ago.

Furthermore, if people are so willing to help out, the repo is open to every potential contributor, you can edit the chapter or even erase and replace it with your own if you believe you are up to the task.

Until a better alternative comes up , the work will go on. By the way I am supervising the chapter , even though the student writes it, I will be editing and improving it along the way and as it is , is very far from finished. It will be included to the book as a pull request when its finished.

My personal opinion , rejecting an effort on documentation, whether its something that satisfy high standards or not, is something that the Pharo community cannot afford with the serious problem in the lack of documentation. Its an area that Pharo can use any help it can get.

Re: Some new book chapters :)

NorbertHartl
Great! Thank you!

Norbert

> Am 28.03.2015 um 22:39 schrieb stepharo <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi guys
>
> Here are new book chapters
>
>   Teapot Rest extension on top of Zinc
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/EnterprisePharo/tree/master/Teapot
>
>   Mustache: template system
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/EnterprisePharo/tree/master/Mustache
>
>    TinyChat: a small chat
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoInProgress/tree/master/TinyChat
>
> you can find the pdf versions in https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/

Re: Some new book chapters :)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
> rejecting an effort on documentation, whether its something that satisfy high standards or not, is something that the Pharo community cannot afford

IMHO this is the exception to that obvious rule. OOP in particular is misunderstood by almost everyone. If we as Smalltalkers describe it from a forensic CS perspective that sounds to me like C++, I believe it is better that we say nothing on the subject.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Some new book chapters :)

HilaireFernandes
Le 29/03/2015 13:19, kilon alios a écrit :
> "It does not emphasize the key features of OOP -
> message sending and late binding - or the tremendous benefits."
>
> I am glad it does not , because if it did , it would be not a
> Introductory chapter to OOP.

Hello,

I don't know the article Sean is talking about so I am only discussing
the point about message and late binding.

What Sean explains is that message sending and late binding is at the
essence of Smalltalk (and therefore Pharo). More over it is an *easy*
concept to understand, and finally and probably more important: a
learner getting it right at the first time will learn and understand
*more easily* the way the Class libraries are built and practised.

Hopefully there are already valuable resources on the topic one can reuse:
http://www.smalltalk.org/articles/article_20100320_a3_Getting_The_Message.html

Probably more: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=smalltalk+essence+to+OOP

And the points from Smalltalk creator:
http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?AlanKaysDefinitionOfObjectOriented