Some package ports

Phil B
I've started pushing out ports of some existing Squeak/Smalltalk projects I've got running on Cuis.  Right now, that's mainly text processing stuff including regex, html, xml, and xpath.  It's available at https://github.com/pbella/Cuis-Ports

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Some package ports

Juan Vuletich-4
Great Phil!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Phil (list) wrote:

> I've started pushing out ports of some existing Squeak/Smalltalk projects I've got running on Cuis.  Right now, that's mainly text processing stuff including regex, html, xml, and xpath.  It's available at https://github.com/pbella/Cuis-Ports
>
> Thanks,
> Phil
>

> -----
> Se certifico que el correo no contiene virus.
> Comprobada por AVG - www.avg.es
> Version: 2012.0.1913 / Base de datos de virus: 2425/5033 - Fecha de la version: 30/05/2012

Re: Some package ports

Phil B
Added a few new packages: ffi, 3dtransform, and opengl.

Thanks,
Phil

On Jun 4, 2012, at 8:25 PM, Phil (list) wrote:

> I've started pushing out ports of some existing Squeak/Smalltalk projects I've got running on Cuis.  Right now, that's mainly text processing stuff including regex, html, xml, and xpath.  It's available at https://github.com/pbella/Cuis-Ports
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Re: Some package ports

garduino
Thanks!!

El jueves, 7 de junio de 2012, Phil (list) <[hidden email]> escribió:
> Added a few new packages: ffi, 3dtransform, and opengl.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil
>
> On Jun 4, 2012, at 8:25 PM, Phil (list) wrote:
>
>> I've started pushing out ports of some existing Squeak/Smalltalk projects I've got running on Cuis.  Right now, that's mainly text processing stuff including regex, html, xml, and xpath.  It's available at https://github.com/pbella/Cuis-Ports
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Phil

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software  http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
greensecure.blogspot.com germanarduino.blogpost.com

Re: Some package ports

Phil B
Germán,

On Jun 6, 2012, at 7:37 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:

Thanks!!

El jueves, 7 de junio de 2012, Phil (list) <[hidden email]> escribió:
> Added a few new packages: ffi, 3dtransform, and opengl.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

I hope it's useful... just a word of warning: I am having display issues with OpenGL under Linux (it's working fine on OS X) that I'm trying to get some help with on vm-dev.  Hopefully I'll have a solution or workaround for it soon.  Also, most of the packages are several revs behind the current Squeak versions and I plan to incorporate those changes once I'm comfortable that I've got everything running at least as well as it was under older versions of Cuis for other code I'm still working to migrate.

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Some package ports

garduino
Don't worry, I understand.

Your work is really important to Cuis, thanks!!

2012/6/6 Phil (list) <[hidden email]>:

> Germán,
>
> On Jun 6, 2012, at 7:37 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
> Thanks!!
>
> El jueves, 7 de junio de 2012, Phil (list) <[hidden email]> escribió:
>> Added a few new packages: ffi, 3dtransform, and opengl.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Phil
>>

> I hope it's useful... just a word of warning: I am having display issues
> with OpenGL under Linux (it's working fine on OS X) that I'm trying to get
> some help with on vm-dev.  Hopefully I'll have a solution or workaround for
> it soon.  Also, most of the packages are several revs behind the current
> Squeak versions and I plan to incorporate those changes once I'm comfortable
> that I've got everything running at least as well as it was under older
> versions of Cuis for other code I'm still working to migrate.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Re: Some package ports

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Phil,

Thanks, this is great! Lots of cool stuff to play with!

Please note that in https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor
there is also a port of FFI. It would be better if we only maintain one.
I'll try to compare and merge them this weekend.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Phil (list) wrote:

> Added a few new packages: ffi, 3dtransform, and opengl.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil
>
> On Jun 4, 2012, at 8:25 PM, Phil (list) wrote:
>

>> I've started pushing out ports of some existing Squeak/Smalltalk projects I've got running on Cuis.  Right now, that's mainly text processing stuff including regex, html, xml, and xpath.  It's available at https://github.com/pbella/Cuis-Ports
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Phil

> -----
> Se certifico que el correo no contiene virus.
> Comprobada por AVG - www.avg.es
> Version: 2012.0.1913 / Base de datos de virus: 2433/5048 - Fecha de la version: 05/06/2012

Re: Some package ports

Phil B
Juan,

On Jun 8, 2012, at 7:29 AM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Thanks, this is great! Lots of cool stuff to play with!
>
> Please note that in https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor there is also a port of FFI. It would be better if we only maintain one. I'll try to compare and merge them this weekend.

Ah, I didn't realize that one has already been done and agree re: duplication of effort/confusion with multiple versions.  I'll save you some time... there's probably no need to spend the time even diff-ing them.  My port is pretty vanilla based on a version from 3 years ago to support OpenGL so unless you know otherwise, what already exists is probably newer/better.  I'll look into using the existing FFI port with OpenGL and if needed will submit any changes (I don't anticipate much/any as I don't remember needing to change much).   Once everything is working, I'll remove my version and update my docs to reflect using the other version of FFI.

One thing that would be nice (I don't see it for the FFI package but it's also a general request) is if ports of existing Squeak/Pharo/whatever projects could note their source of origin (something like 'originally based on x, merged changes through y') in the project comment.  I've gone as far as to provide hyperlinks to the original if I know them for a few reasons:

1) It allows one, either the person maintaining the package or some future user of it, to quickly identify if there are new changes in the source package that should potentially be merged in.

2) Knowing the lineage also makes it easier to determine the copyright/license status of a particular package for those that are into that sort of thing.

3) In the event that it's decided that some other distro or the package maintainer of the original wants to merge in changes we've made on the Cuis side, it makes their life a little easier and as a result, probably more open to doing so.

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Some package ports

Phil B
On Jun 8, 2012, at 7:29 AM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Please note that in https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor there is also a port of FFI. It would be better if we only maintain one. I'll try to compare and merge them this weekend.

After some preliminary testing, the FFI package you referenced seems to be working fine so I've dropped my version.

I think I've resolved the non-VM OpenGL issues on the image side related to Linux.  However, if you're on Linux please take a look at http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2012-June/008325.html re: some VM issues I ran into and solutions.  It looks like Cog has already incorporated the patch for the last VM issue and I'd expect Squeak to do so shortly.

I've done rudimentary testing on OS X, Linux and Windows and the basics work with the exception of fonts which is on my todo list.

Thanks,
Phil