Some problems installing gst 2.2

Michael Fellinger-3
Hey list,

I'm just learning about smalltalk and found that gst is probably the best
implementation there is atm for linux.
However, i've had some trouble installing, nothing critical, but still
annoying.

First i just ran
./configure --prefix=/usr

which resulted in an error at the end of the make && make install

Compiling /home/manveru/pkgbuilds/smalltalk/src/smalltalk-2.2/elc.13490/gst-mode.el...

While compiling toplevel forms in
file /home/manveru/pkgbuilds/smalltalk/src/smalltalk-2.2/elc.13490/gst-mode.el:
  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "comint"))
>>Error occurred processing gst-mode.el: Cannot open load file: "comint"

which i solved by searching on google and finding out that most likely
xemacs-sumo is missing for compilation of the el-file.
now i must say that xemacs-sumo is having its own long tail of dependencies
and to make this pkg as leightweight as possible i decided to see what
options ./configure has to offer.
i found --without-emacs

Yeah! just what i need - i thought...
some compilations and recheckings and make clean and extractions later i found
that the option doesn't do anything at all, and so it forced me to install
xemacs-sumo with everything (i think that in total it's got a 40MB, not to
mention that it has further dependencies on X11...)

oh well, i hope this will be fixed in a new version, or at least with some
patch... i guess it's just a mislead iffi or something :) [sorry for the
lengthy bugreport]

the next thing, after installing - no infopages were installed... they just
hang around in the /doc directory
the gst-manpage is there though.

hope this didn't sound too negative, i'm really fascinated by this language
and gst works flawless, it's just my concerns for packaging GST for a broader
audience (archlinux), since i'm sure they don't like the perspective of being
forced to install emacs just for generating of some emacs-el-file they won't
even use ;)

Thanks in advance
Michael 'manveru' Fellinger

Re: Some problems installing gst 2.2

Paolo Bonzini

> Compiling /home/manveru/pkgbuilds/smalltalk/src/smalltalk-2.2/elc.13490/gst-mode.el...
>
> While compiling toplevel forms in
> file /home/manveru/pkgbuilds/smalltalk/src/smalltalk-2.2/elc.13490/gst-mode.el:
>   !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "comint"))
>
>>> Error occurred processing gst-mode.el: Cannot open load file: "comint"

This I just fixed.  I'm now checking for comint.el and not installing
gst-mode.el unless it is present.

You will find it in a short while in the CVS version of GNU Smalltalk.

> which i solved by searching on google and finding out that most likely
> xemacs-sumo is missing for compilation of the el-file.
And, I must say, it seems weird that you have to install X11 in order to
get something as important as comint.  So this is something you should
complain about with your distro makers.
> now i must say that xemacs-sumo is having its own long tail of dependencies
> and to make this pkg as leightweight as possible i decided to see what
> options ./configure has to offer.
> i found --without-emacs
>
> Yeah! just what i need - i thought...

In fact it should be just what you need.  Except that there's a
cut-n-paste bug and --disable-emacs would work instead. :-(
> some compilations and recheckings and make clean and extractions later i found
> that the option doesn't do anything at all, and so it forced me to install
> xemacs-sumo with everything (i think that in total it's got a 40MB, not to
> mention that it has further dependencies on X11...)
>
> oh well, i hope this will be fixed in a new version, or at least with some
> patch... i guess it's just a mislead iffi or something :) [sorry for the
> lengthy bugreport]

No problem.
> the next thing, after installing - no infopages were installed...
I see them in $prefix/info.  I don't know if your distro still has the
symlink from there to $prefix/share/info.  If not, you may want to use
--infodir=/usr/share/info to have the pages installed in the right place.

>  they just
> hang around in the /doc directory
> the gst-manpage is there though.
>
> hope this didn't sound too negative, i'm really fascinated by this language
> and gst works flawless, it's just my concerns for packaging GST for a broader
> audience (archlinux), since i'm sure they don't like the perspective of being
> forced to install emacs just for generating of some emacs-el-file they won't
> even use ;)

Don't worry -- packaging bugreports are even more useful than crashes to
some extent, because packaging hiccups are what will convince users to
move away and do not use GNU Smalltalk at all.

Re: Some problems installing gst 2.2

Paolo Bonzini

>> the next thing, after installing - no infopages were installed...
> I see them in $prefix/info.  I don't know if your distro still has the
> symlink from there to $prefix/share/info.  If not, you may want to use
> --infodir=/usr/share/info to have the pages installed in the right place.

BTW, I am upgrading to autoconf 2.60 which will fix this problem.

Paolo