classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Some question regarding portability

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Hi All,

I would like to improve the portability of Zinc HTTP Components ( http://zn.stfx.eu ) to Squeak. During the development of Zn I have regulary tested on Squeak (currently 4.2 #10977), and most of the code works unmodified. Recently, I had another look, and I would like to fix some issues, if possible.

- Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?

- How does one do MD5 hashing in Squeak ? We used to fall back to either CMD5Hasher or TCryptoRandom, but none are in the standard image. What has to be loaded to make this work (again) ?

- Has there ever been a MIMEType class ? This is not crucial at all, I am just wondering why it is not there.

- I guess that ByteTextConverter class>>#encodeTable and ByteTextConverter class>>#decodeTable play the same role as ByteTextConverter class>>#unicodeToByteTable and ByteTextConverter class>>#byteToUnicodeTable ?

Thanks,

Sven

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Some question regarding portability

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Tue, 10 May 2011, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to improve the portability of Zinc HTTP Components ( http://zn.stfx.eu ) to Squeak. During the development of Zn I have regulary tested on Squeak (currently 4.2 #10977), and most of the code works unmodified. Recently, I had another look, and I would like to fix some issues, if possible.
>
> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?

There are at least four different implementations of the announcements
framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question
is: which one is required by Zinc?

>
> - How does one do MD5 hashing in Squeak ? We used to fall back to either CMD5Hasher or TCryptoRandom, but none are in the standard image. What has to be loaded to make this work (again) ?

The MD5 class is in the Cryptography package.

>
> - Has there ever been a MIMEType class ? This is not crucial at all, I am just wondering why it is not there.

I don't think so.

>
> - I guess that ByteTextConverter class>>#encodeTable and ByteTextConverter class>>#decodeTable play the same role as ByteTextConverter class>>#unicodeToByteTable and ByteTextConverter class>>#byteToUnicodeTable ?

It's hard to answer your question without knowing what ByteTextConverter
class >> #unicodeToBytTable and ByteTextConverter class >>
#byteToUnicodeTable are.

Levente

>
> Thanks,
>
> Sven
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 10 May 2011, at 11:48, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Tue, 10 May 2011, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I would like to improve the portability of Zinc HTTP Components ( http://zn.stfx.eu ) to Squeak. During the development of Zn I have regulary tested on Squeak (currently 4.2 #10977), and most of the code works unmodified. Recently, I had another look, and I would like to fix some issues, if possible.
>>
>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?
>
> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question is: which one is required by Zinc?

I am not aware of that many versions.
I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and #on:send:do to it, that's all.
Would Announcements from http://www.squeaksource.com/AXAnnouncements do ? What is the AX variant by the way ? This repository has not seen many recent updates, I assume it still works for Squeal 4.2.

>>
>> - How does one do MD5 hashing in Squeak ? We used to fall back to either CMD5Hasher or TCryptoRandom, but none are in the standard image. What has to be loaded to make this work (again) ?
>
> The MD5 class is in the Cryptography package.

I guess you mean the main Cryptograhy package from http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography, I can't seem to find any loading instructions. I will try.

>>
>> - Has there ever been a MIMEType class ? This is not crucial at all, I am just wondering why it is not there.
>
> I don't think so.

OK

>> - I guess that ByteTextConverter class>>#encodeTable and ByteTextConverter class>>#decodeTable play the same role as ByteTextConverter class>>#unicodeToByteTable and ByteTextConverter class>>#byteToUnicodeTable ?
>
> It's hard to answer your question without knowing what ByteTextConverter class >> #unicodeToBytTable and ByteTextConverter class >> #byteToUnicodeTable are.

I will just try then.

> Levente

Thanks for the reply,

Sven

Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas.Raab
On 5/10/2011 12:21, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

>
> On 10 May 2011, at 11:48, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 May 2011, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I would like to improve the portability of Zinc HTTP Components ( http://zn.stfx.eu ) to Squeak. During the development of Zn I have regulary tested on Squeak (currently 4.2 #10977), and most of the code works unmodified. Recently, I had another look, and I would like to fix some issues, if possible.
>>>
>>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?
>>
>> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question is: which one is required by Zinc?
>
> I am not aware of that many versions.
> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and #on:send:do to it, that's all.

Then how about adding ZnAnnouncement, ZnAnnouncer with the two or three
methods that you actually need? Announcements always struck me as more
of a pattern than a framework.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> Would Announcements from http://www.squeaksource.com/AXAnnouncements do ? What is the AX variant by the way ? This repository has not seen many recent updates, I assume it still works for Squeal 4.2.
>
>>>
>>> - How does one do MD5 hashing in Squeak ? We used to fall back to either CMD5Hasher or TCryptoRandom, but none are in the standard image. What has to be loaded to make this work (again) ?
>>
>> The MD5 class is in the Cryptography package.
>
> I guess you mean the main Cryptograhy package from http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography, I can't seem to find any loading instructions. I will try.
>
>>>
>>> - Has there ever been a MIMEType class ? This is not crucial at all, I am just wondering why it is not there.
>>
>> I don't think so.
>
> OK
>
>>> - I guess that ByteTextConverter class>>#encodeTable and ByteTextConverter class>>#decodeTable play the same role as ByteTextConverter class>>#unicodeToByteTable and ByteTextConverter class>>#byteToUnicodeTable ?
>>
>> It's hard to answer your question without knowing what ByteTextConverter class>>  #unicodeToBytTable and ByteTextConverter class>>  #byteToUnicodeTable are.
>
> I will just try then.
>
>> Levente
>
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> Sven
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Teleplacer wrote
On 5/10/2011 12:21, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I would like to improve the portability of Zinc HTTP Components ( http://zn.stfx.eu ) to Squeak. During the development of Zn I have regulary tested on Squeak (currently 4.2 #10977), and most of the code works unmodified. Recently, I had another look, and I would like to fix some issues, if possible.
>>>
>>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?
>>
>> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question is: which one is required by Zinc?
>
> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and #on:send:do to it, that's all.

Then how about adding ZnAnnouncement, ZnAnnouncer with the two or three
methods that you actually need? Announcements always struck me as more
of a pattern than a framework.

Cheers,
   - Andreas
They really are not, though on the surface they look deceptively simple.

The amount of nuances and quirks in implementing subscribing/unsubscribing, weak versions, delivery guarantees etc. are large enough that you really only want to implement/document/learn them once.

My 2c at least :)

Cheers,
Henry
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe
In reply to this post by Andreas.Raab

On 10 May 2011, at 14:45, Andreas Raab wrote:

>>>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?
>>>
>>> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question is: which one is required by Zinc?
>>
>> I am not aware of that many versions.
>> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and #on:send:do to it, that's all.
>
> Then how about adding ZnAnnouncement, ZnAnnouncer with the two or three methods that you actually need? Announcements always struck me as more of a pattern than a framework.

I agree that Announcements are pretty simple.
Still, if it is available, then why not use it.
Sharing and reusing general purpose classes seems pretty important and elementary to me.

Of course, this sharing and reuse makes package management and dependencies more difficult.

For example, I need MD5, for which it seems to be necessary to load Cryptography in Squeak, a quite large framework that seems to be under development (many unit tests failed, MD5 works OK). You have chosen a shortcut in WebClient by implementing MD5 yourself. This runs against the refactoring rule but makes it easier for users because they don't need to load a dependency.

I think reimplementing something should only be done when the original does not work (properly) and cannot easily be fixed. I do have ZnMimeType, ZnUrl and ZnCharacterEncoding objects, which I wrote after having struggled with the originals for too long.

Sven

Reply | Threaded
|

Igor Stasenko
In reply to this post by Andreas.Raab
On 10 May 2011 14:45, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/10/2011 12:21, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>> On 10 May 2011, at 11:48, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 10 May 2011, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi All,
>>>>
>>>> I would like to improve the portability of Zinc HTTP Components (
>>>> http://zn.stfx.eu ) to Squeak. During the development of Zn I have regulary
>>>> tested on Squeak (currently 4.2 #10977), and most of the code works
>>>> unmodified. Recently, I had another look, and I would like to fix some
>>>> issues, if possible.
>>>>
>>>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is
>>>> the official way to do this ?
>>>
>>> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements
>>> framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question is:
>>> which one is required by Zinc?
>>
>> I am not aware of that many versions.
>> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and
>> #on:send:do to it, that's all.
>
> Then how about adding ZnAnnouncement, ZnAnnouncer with the two or three
> methods that you actually need? Announcements always struck me as more of a
> pattern than a framework.
>

Yes, this is a typical observer pattern.
However, a framework is needed to nicely manage subscriptions.
Because if everyone will start implementing this pattern by own, then
you end up with multiple subsystems which basicly doing the same work
(because pattern is same!).

See
Object>>addDependent: anObject  and Object>>changed:

Then see
Object>>actionMap & Object>>triggerEvent: anEventSelector

and then at some point, a developer get lost, which one he should actually use.
That's why Pharo plans to unify all those subscription/event
triggering mechanisms and replace them with single one -
announcements.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas.Raab
In reply to this post by Sven Van Caekenberghe
On 5/10/2011 15:34, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

>
> On 10 May 2011, at 14:45, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>>>>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?
>>>>
>>>> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question is: which one is required by Zinc?
>>>
>>> I am not aware of that many versions.
>>> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and #on:send:do to it, that's all.
>>
>> Then how about adding ZnAnnouncement, ZnAnnouncer with the two or three methods that you actually need? Announcements always struck me as more of a pattern than a framework.
>
> I agree that Announcements are pretty simple.
> Still, if it is available, then why not use it.
> Sharing and reusing general purpose classes seems pretty important and elementary to me.
>
> Of course, this sharing and reuse makes package management and dependencies more difficult.
>
> For example, I need MD5, for which it seems to be necessary to load Cryptography in Squeak, a quite large framework that seems to be under development (many unit tests failed, MD5 works OK). You have chosen a shortcut in WebClient by implementing MD5 yourself. This runs against the refactoring rule but makes it easier for users because they don't need to load a dependency.
>
> I think reimplementing something should only be done when the original does not work (properly) and cannot easily be fixed. I do have ZnMimeType, ZnUrl and ZnCharacterEncoding objects, which I wrote after having struggled with the originals for too long.

Just a thought. If you prefer additional dependencies that's your choice
to make.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Reply | Threaded
|

garduino
2011/5/10 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:

>
> On 10 May 2011, at 14:45, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>>>>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?
>>>>
>>>> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question is: which one is required by Zinc?
>>>
>>> I am not aware of that many versions.
>>> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and #on:send:do to it, that's all.
>>
>> Then how about adding ZnAnnouncement, ZnAnnouncer with the two or three methods that you actually need? Announcements always struck me as more of a pattern than a framework.
>
> I agree that Announcements are pretty simple.
> Still, if it is available, then why not use it.
> Sharing and reusing general purpose classes seems pretty important and elementary to me.
>
> Of course, this sharing and reuse makes package management and dependencies more difficult.
>
> For example, I need MD5, for which it seems to be necessary to load Cryptography in Squeak, a quite large framework that seems to be under development (many unit tests failed, MD5 works OK). You have chosen a shortcut in WebClient by implementing MD5 yourself. This runs against the refactoring rule but makes it easier for users because they don't need to load a dependency.
>

Hi Sven:

Yes, Cryptography is mostly a name to group different implementations
of crypto related stuff. I agree that may not be the better idea
thinking in reuse.

I'm copying this mail to the crypto list (even when I think that most
of the people is here also) to discuss about better ways to
name/install the things.

Regards.
Germán.

Reply | Threaded
|

garduino
2011/5/10 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:

> 2011/5/10 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On 10 May 2011, at 14:45, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>>>>>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?
>>>>>
>>>>> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question is: which one is required by Zinc?
>>>>
>>>> I am not aware of that many versions.
>>>> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and #on:send:do to it, that's all.
>>>
>>> Then how about adding ZnAnnouncement, ZnAnnouncer with the two or three methods that you actually need? Announcements always struck me as more of a pattern than a framework.
>>
>> I agree that Announcements are pretty simple.
>> Still, if it is available, then why not use it.
>> Sharing and reusing general purpose classes seems pretty important and elementary to me.
>>
>> Of course, this sharing and reuse makes package management and dependencies more difficult.
>>
>> For example, I need MD5, for which it seems to be necessary to load Cryptography in Squeak, a quite large framework that seems to be under development (many unit tests failed, MD5 works OK). You have chosen a shortcut in WebClient by implementing MD5 yourself. This runs against the refactoring rule but makes it easier for users because they don't need to load a dependency.
>>
>
> Hi Sven:
>
> Yes, Cryptography is mostly a name to group different implementations
> of crypto related stuff. I agree that may not be the better idea
> thinking in reuse.
>
> I'm copying this mail to the crypto list (even when I think that most
> of the people is here also) to discuss about better ways to
> name/install the things.
>

I forgot to say that this don't excludes to think in add some of the
more used stuff (as hashing) on the image, "a la Pharo".

Germán.

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: [Cryptography Team] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Some question regarding portability

Ron Teitelbaum
In reply to this post by garduino
Loading pieces of the code would be nice but most people load everything and
then take what they need to add just that.  If there are tests that fail we
should address those issues.  Until there is a framework for loading parts
of packages I think this would make things harder to use and understand then
allowing people to get a working version and then remove what they don't
want for their own deployment.  Also consider the overlap.  We have a number
of hashes that use the same streaming framework.  It would be easier to load
cryptography and then delete SHA1 then it would be to package up all the
components needed for MD5 and then package all the same components again for
SHA256.  The code base is not so large, that the benefit would be worth the
time it would take and confusion it would cause.

Ron Teitelbaum

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Germán Arduino
> Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:21 PM
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
> Cc: Cryptography Team Development List
> Subject: [Cryptography Team] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Some question regarding
> portability
>
> >
> > On 10 May 2011, at 14:45, Andreas Raab wrote:
> >
> >>>>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ?
> What is the official way to do this ?
> >>>>
> >>>> There are at least four different implementations of the
> announcements framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other.
> The question is: which one is required by Zinc?
> >>>
> >>> I am not aware of that many versions.
> >>> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce:
> and #on:send:do to it, that's all.
> >>
> >> Then how about adding ZnAnnouncement, ZnAnnouncer with the two or
> three methods that you actually need? Announcements always struck me as
> more of a pattern than a framework.
> >
> > I agree that Announcements are pretty simple.
> > Still, if it is available, then why not use it.
> > Sharing and reusing general purpose classes seems pretty important and
> elementary to me.
> >
> > Of course, this sharing and reuse makes package management and
> dependencies more difficult.
> >
> > For example, I need MD5, for which it seems to be necessary to load
> Cryptography in Squeak, a quite large framework that seems to be under
> development (many unit tests failed, MD5 works OK). You have chosen a
> shortcut in WebClient by implementing MD5 yourself. This runs against the
> refactoring rule but makes it easier for users because they don't need to
load
> a dependency.
> >
>
> Hi Sven:
>
> Yes, Cryptography is mostly a name to group different implementations of
> crypto related stuff. I agree that may not be the better idea thinking in
reuse.
>
> I'm copying this mail to the crypto list (even when I think that most of
the
> people is here also) to discuss about better ways to name/install the
things.
>
> Regards.
> Germán.
> _______________________________________________
> Cryptography mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cryptography

Reply | Threaded
|

Tobias Pape

Am 2011-05-11 um 01:20 schrieb Germán Arduino:

>>
>> On 10 May 2011, at 14:45, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>>>>>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?
>>>>>
>>>>> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question is: which one is required by Zinc?
>>>>
>>>> I am not aware of that many versions.
>>>> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and #on:send:do to it, that's all.
>>>
>>> Then how about adding ZnAnnouncement, ZnAnnouncer with the two or three methods that you actually need? Announcements always struck me as more of a pattern than a framework.
>>
>> I agree that Announcements are pretty simple.
>> Still, if it is available, then why not use it.
>> Sharing and reusing general purpose classes seems pretty important and elementary to me.
>>
>> Of course, this sharing and reuse makes package management and dependencies more difficult.
>>
>> For example, I need MD5, for which it seems to be necessary to load Cryptography in Squeak, a quite large framework that seems to be under development (many unit tests failed, MD5 works OK). You have chosen a shortcut in WebClient by implementing MD5 yourself. This runs against the refactoring rule but makes it easier for users because they don't need to load a dependency.
>>
>
> Hi Sven:
>
> Yes, Cryptography is mostly a name to group different implementations
> of crypto related stuff. I agree that may not be the better idea
> thinking in reuse.
>
> I'm copying this mail to the crypto list (even when I think that most
> of the people is here also) to discuss about better ways to
> name/install the things.

FWIW, I just happen to have implemented a Gravatar package for Seaside.
That needs MD5 for generating image urls and I did not want to depend
on the Crypto package, either. Thus I took the MD5 from Cryptography
and built it into a one-method call… not beautiful at all but works :/
Would there have been a better method?

So Long,
        -Tobias

Reply | Threaded
|

Tony Garnock-Jones-3
In reply to this post by Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 2011-05-10 9:13 AM, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
> The amount of nuances and quirks in implementing subscribing/unsubscribing,
> weak versions, delivery guarantees etc. are large enough that you really
> only want to implement/document/learn them once.

FWIW, I agree heartily. Looking at Announcements-klub.1.mcz from the
AXAnnouncements project, a *lot* of thought and careful implementation
has gone into the subscription-management and delivery piece of the
puzzle - and even then, there are areas in which it could be improved.

One way of thinking about it, that I'm becoming more and more convinced
by is this:

If Objects are abstract representations of computers, then
   Announcers are abstract representations of networks.

The communication channel between two objects is normally a regular
message send. Regular message sends provide Plain Old RPC (with
Exceptions). Sometimes, however, you want one or more of the following
things to happen:

- a message to be delivered to more than one recipient
  - a message to be delivered to an arbitrary or unknown number
    of recipients
  - a message to be delivered asynchronously, or without reply
  - a message to be delivered across a real network to some remote
    object

Combinations of the above are useful and interesting too.

It's in situations like these that having a first-class representation
of the *medium of communication* between objects becomes important. And
that's just what Announcers are.

(I'm working at the moment a little on thinking about how to generalise
Announcers to take into consideration more than just the first two of
the four points listed above.)

Regards,
   Tony

Reply | Threaded
|

garduino
In reply to this post by Tobias Pape
Well, are the two ways:

1. Reuse; or

2. Implement in your own code

Each one with their advantages and drawbacks :)

2011/5/11 Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>:

>
> Am 2011-05-11 um 01:20 schrieb Germán Arduino:
>
>> 2011/5/10 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> On 10 May 2011, at 14:45, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>>
>>>>>>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question is: which one is required by Zinc?
>>>>>
>>>>> I am not aware of that many versions.
>>>>> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and #on:send:do to it, that's all.
>>>>
>>>> Then how about adding ZnAnnouncement, ZnAnnouncer with the two or three methods that you actually need? Announcements always struck me as more of a pattern than a framework.
>>>
>>> I agree that Announcements are pretty simple.
>>> Still, if it is available, then why not use it.
>>> Sharing and reusing general purpose classes seems pretty important and elementary to me.
>>>
>>> Of course, this sharing and reuse makes package management and dependencies more difficult.
>>>
>>> For example, I need MD5, for which it seems to be necessary to load Cryptography in Squeak, a quite large framework that seems to be under development (many unit tests failed, MD5 works OK). You have chosen a shortcut in WebClient by implementing MD5 yourself. This runs against the refactoring rule but makes it easier for users because they don't need to load a dependency.
>>>
>>
>> Hi Sven:
>>
>> Yes, Cryptography is mostly a name to group different implementations
>> of crypto related stuff. I agree that may not be the better idea
>> thinking in reuse.
>>
>> I'm copying this mail to the crypto list (even when I think that most
>> of the people is here also) to discuss about better ways to
>> name/install the things.
>
>
> FWIW, I just happen to have implemented a Gravatar package for Seaside.
> That needs MD5 for generating image urls and I did not want to depend
> on the Crypto package, either. Thus I took the MD5 from Cryptography
> and built it into a one-method call… not beautiful at all but works :/
> Would there have been a better method?
>
> So Long,
>        -Tobias
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

MD5 for Squeak (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Some question regarding portability)

Levente Uzonyi-2
There was a plan to add the whole Cryptography package (split to three
packages) to the Trunk. Some older versions are waiting in the Inbox (see
CryptoCore, CryptoCerts and CryptoExtras). IIRC this process is stalled
because the proper renaming of the packages didn't happen (Cryptography
instead of Crypto). If the renaming is done, then Squeak will have a
working MD5 implementation out of the box.

Another solution is to grab the MD5 implementation from WebClient (which
is probably the same as in Croquet, since it uses the CroquetPlugin if
available).

What do you think?

Levente

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Tue, 10 May 2011, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

>
>
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>>
>>
>
IIRC the first implementation was done for OB - it was really simple, it
contained only what OB needed. Then Lukas wrote his own based on the OB
version. Soon after that Balázs Kósi and I extracted our implementation
from our ajax based web framework (that's where the AX prefix is coming
from). Recently Pharo developers started a new implementation based on
Lukas' version which was already part of Pharo.

I guess those will work with the simplest announcements implementations.

> Would Announcements from http://www.squeaksource.com/AXAnnouncements do ? What is the AX variant by the way ? This repository has not seen many recent updates, I assume it still works for Squeal 4.2.

The AXAnnouncements repo is not frequently updated, because the framework
reached a stable state, the same will happen to Zinc soon ;). If you've
found a bug or need new features, let us know. The repository used to be
writeable, but it's read only now, probably because of incomplete
restoration of SqueakSource after crashes. Of course a world writable repo
doesn't mean that we don't review code and remove broken versions from it.

>
>>>
>>> - How does one do MD5 hashing in Squeak ? We used to fall back to either CMD5Hasher or TCryptoRandom, but none are in the standard image. What has to be loaded to make this work (again) ?
>>
>> The MD5 class is in the Cryptography package.
>
> I guess you mean the main Cryptograhy package from http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography, I can't seem to find any loading instructions. I will try.

It's a simple all-in-one mcz from the old days.

Levente

snip

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: MD5 for Squeak (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Some question regarding portability)

garduino
In reply to this post by Levente Uzonyi-2
I don't know deeply the WebClient implementation, but is not the same
than in Crypto package?

Apart of this I prefer pure image code (not relying in plugins).

Finally, if some work ordering/renaming/etc the Crypto packages is
needed, let me know, I can help because I'm also doing somethings to
myself with these code.

Cheers.
Germán.

2011/5/11 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> There was a plan to add the whole Cryptography package (split to three
> packages) to the Trunk. Some older versions are waiting in the Inbox (see
> CryptoCore, CryptoCerts and CryptoExtras). IIRC this process is stalled
> because the proper renaming of the packages didn't happen (Cryptography
> instead of Crypto). If the renaming is done, then Squeak will have a working
> MD5 implementation out of the box.
>
> Another solution is to grab the MD5 implementation from WebClient (which is
> probably the same as in Croquet, since it uses the CroquetPlugin if
> available).
>
> What do you think?
>
>
> Levente
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: MD5 for Squeak (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Some question regarding portability)

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 11 May 2011, Germán Arduino wrote:

> I don't know deeply the WebClient implementation, but is not the same
> than in Crypto package?

No, it's not.

>
> Apart of this I prefer pure image code (not relying in plugins).

Both the WebClient version and the one in the Cryptography package work
with or without plugin support.

>
> Finally, if some work ordering/renaming/etc the Crypto packages is
> needed, let me know, I can help because I'm also doing somethings to
> myself with these code.

It depends on the community's decision.

Levente

>
> Cheers.
> Germán.
>
>
> 2011/5/11 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>> There was a plan to add the whole Cryptography package (split to three
>> packages) to the Trunk. Some older versions are waiting in the Inbox (see
>> CryptoCore, CryptoCerts and CryptoExtras). IIRC this process is stalled
>> because the proper renaming of the packages didn't happen (Cryptography
>> instead of Crypto). If the renaming is done, then Squeak will have a working
>> MD5 implementation out of the box.
>>
>> Another solution is to grab the MD5 implementation from WebClient (which is
>> probably the same as in Croquet, since it uses the CroquetPlugin if
>> available).
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>>
>> Levente
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

garduino
2011/5/11 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 11 May 2011, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
>> I don't know deeply the WebClient implementation, but is not the same
>> than in Crypto package?
>
> No, it's not.
>
>>
>> Apart of this I prefer pure image code (not relying in plugins).
>
> Both the WebClient version and the one in the Cryptography package work
> with or without plugin support.
>
>>
>> Finally, if some work ordering/renaming/etc the Crypto packages is
>> needed, let me know, I can help because I'm also doing somethings to
>> myself with these code.
>
> It depends on the community's decision.
>
>

ok, I checked the inbox and how are built the packages.

If the community decide something I can help updating the packages and
making them availables.

I personally am not sure about the better way of separate and package
all these stuff, but is a matter of discussion also.

As far as I saw exist different opinions, from maintain all together
until split in lot of different packages.

Cheers.

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: MD5 for Squeak (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Some question regarding portability)

Ron Teitelbaum
In reply to this post by Levente Uzonyi-2
Hi All,

I think that works.  The basic separation from core and extra functionality
is a good move.  3 packages is better than dozens.  I know that Andreas also
made a SqueakSSL repository which is specifically for TLS/SSL.  That
certainly works since it will get used there and fixed but it is also likely
that SSL will bit rot here if everyone is focused there.  It might make
sense to move our SSL and cert stuff to Andreas' repository (if there is
anything still here that is needed by developers that doesn't exist there
and Andreas wants it, or include his package here with the rest)  and focus
on Core functions here?

In general cleaning things up so that what we have posted works is a good
idea.  If we can get things loaded by default, and have other things
loadable in small understandable packages, then that works for me too.

Other thoughts?

Ron Teitelbaum

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:squeak-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Levente Uzonyi
> Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:49 PM
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
> Subject: MD5 for Squeak (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Some question
> regarding portability)
>
> There was a plan to add the whole Cryptography package (split to three
> packages) to the Trunk. Some older versions are waiting in the Inbox (see