Some questions about Magritte

Göran Krampe
Hi!

I and a collegue are building a "form engine portal"-kinda-thingie and
we are using Seaside3.0 and Magritte. The goal is to create a "standard"
for describing wizard-like-forms and then to use Magritte to create a
good looking "engine" for these wizards.

Now, as I can see it seems that Magritte has no notion of "pages" as in
a wizard or anything wizard-like, right? So my current conclusion is
that it would be best for us to create the Wizard component that uses a
dynamically generated Magritte component for each "page", seems reasonable?

Secondly, how hard is it - or can Magritte already use say JQuery to do
"immediate" validation etc on fields? We need to be a biz snazzy here
and make it look good so I want to be able to do validation when the
user moves focus from a field etc.

Anyway, it is fun to get into Magritte (last time I looked it was
slightly immature and we opted to build our own "similar" thing in
Gjallar instead of reusing Magritte) - but could someone point to more
good examples perhaps? The unit tests are written in an ... "economic"
style which doesn't leave them as easily digested examples IMHO. ;)

regards, Göran

Re: Some questions about Magritte

keith1y

On 24 Nov 2009, at 09:44, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I and a collegue are building a "form engine portal"-kinda-thingie
> and we are using Seaside3.0 and Magritte. The goal is to create a
> "standard" for describing wizard-like-forms and then to use Magritte
> to create a good looking "engine" for these wizards.
>
> Now, as I can see it seems that Magritte has no notion of "pages" as
> in a wizard or anything wizard-like, right? So my current conclusion
> is that it would be best for us to create the Wizard component that
> uses a dynamically generated Magritte component for each "page",
> seems reasonable?
>
> Secondly, how hard is it - or can Magritte already use say JQuery to
> do "immediate" validation etc on fields? We need to be a biz snazzy
> here and make it look good so I want to be able to do validation
> when the user moves focus from a field etc.
>
> Anyway, it is fun to get into Magritte (last time I looked it was
> slightly immature and we opted to build our own "similar" thing in
> Gjallar instead of reusing Magritte) - but could someone point to
> more good examples perhaps? The unit tests are written in an ...
> "economic" style which doesn't leave them as easily digested
> examples IMHO. ;)
>
> regards, Göran

There is a Magritte-package for the immediate validation snazzy stuff.
(I havent ported anything to Seaside3.0)

Keith

Re: Some questions about Magritte

Philippe Marschall
2009/11/24 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> I and a collegue are building a "form engine portal"-kinda-thingie and we
> are using Seaside3.0 and Magritte. The goal is to create a "standard" for
> describing wizard-like-forms and then to use Magritte to create a good
> looking "engine" for these wizards.
>
> Now, as I can see it seems that Magritte has no notion of "pages" as in a
> wizard or anything wizard-like, right? So my current conclusion is that it
> would be best for us to create the Wizard component that uses a dynamically
> generated Magritte component for each "page", seems reasonable?

Yes, you can put custom properties on a description like the page
number and the select on the ones for the first page, second page,
.... The wizard on this page [1] is done like this.

> Secondly, how hard is it - or can Magritte already use say JQuery to do
> "immediate" validation etc on fields? We need to be a biz snazzy here and
> make it look good so I want to be able to do validation when the user moves
> focus from a field etc.
>
> Anyway, it is fun to get into Magritte (last time I looked it was slightly
> immature and we opted to build our own "similar" thing in Gjallar instead of
> reusing Magritte) - but could someone point to more good examples perhaps?
> The unit tests are written in an ... "economic" style which doesn't leave
> them as easily digested examples IMHO. ;)

The hardest part is wrapping your head around the visitors.

 [1] http://juniorwebaward.ch/

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Some questions about Magritte

Julian Fitzell-2
If you haven't already,you may want to check out the magritte port I
have been working on for VA Smalltalk. Before porting to VA, I updated
it all for Seaside 3.0. I don't think the changes were that extensive
compared to Pier, but if you run into anything that's not working, you
may have more luck with that:
http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte2/

Julian

2009/11/24 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> I and a collegue are building a "form engine portal"-kinda-thingie and we
> are using Seaside3.0 and Magritte. The goal is to create a "standard" for
> describing wizard-like-forms and then to use Magritte to create a good
> looking "engine" for these wizards.
>
> Now, as I can see it seems that Magritte has no notion of "pages" as in a
> wizard or anything wizard-like, right? So my current conclusion is that it
> would be best for us to create the Wizard component that uses a dynamically
> generated Magritte component for each "page", seems reasonable?
>
> Secondly, how hard is it - or can Magritte already use say JQuery to do
> "immediate" validation etc on fields? We need to be a biz snazzy here and
> make it look good so I want to be able to do validation when the user moves
> focus from a field etc.
>
> Anyway, it is fun to get into Magritte (last time I looked it was slightly
> immature and we opted to build our own "similar" thing in Gjallar instead of
> reusing Magritte) - but could someone point to more good examples perhaps?
> The unit tests are written in an ... "economic" style which doesn't leave
> them as easily digested examples IMHO. ;)
>
> regards, Göran

Re: Some questions about Magritte

keith1y

On 24 Nov 2009, at 09:44, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I and a collegue are building a "form engine portal"-kinda-thingie
> and we are using Seaside3.0 and Magritte. The goal is to create a
> "standard" for describing wizard-like-forms and then to use Magritte
> to create a good looking "engine" for these wizards.
>
> Now, as I can see it seems that Magritte has no notion of "pages" as
> in a wizard or anything wizard-like, right? So my current conclusion
> is that it would be best for us to create the Wizard component that
> uses a dynamically generated Magritte component for each "page",
> seems reasonable?
>
> Secondly, how hard is it - or can Magritte already use say JQuery to
> do "immediate" validation etc on fields? We need to be a biz snazzy
> here and make it look good so I want to be able to do validation
> when the user moves focus from a field etc.
>
> Anyway, it is fun to get into Magritte (last time I looked it was
> slightly immature and we opted to build our own "similar" thing in
> Gjallar instead of reusing Magritte) - but could someone point to
> more good examples perhaps? The unit tests are written in an ...
> "economic" style which doesn't leave them as easily digested
> examples IMHO. ;)
>
> regards, Göran

I will try that again

There is a "Magritte-Scriptaculous" package for the immediate