Some questions about omnibroser framework

Some questions about omnibroser framework

aizcorbe
I have been using the OmniBroser framework to extend the Lint browser (OR2LintBrowser) and i found some strange behavior i would like to comment:

1) When you select an item in the browser, the metagraph define some edges leading to other metanode types.  This is translated sending the edge names to the real nodes and getting all the following nodes, and then, those nodes are displayed on the following column at the browser, and if there isn't a next column it is created.  The strange issue here is that, if the messages for edge taking on the concrete nodes retrieves an empty collection of nodes, the next column is created anyway, because for the browser there is a next metagraph node.  Is this a problem or not? (I had to define much more complex metagraphs because of this, just to avoid an empty column).

2) When you use filters on the metagraph, they are applied over each taken edge leading to the next metagraph.  The filters are usually used for node ordering and here is a problem.  If you have more than one edge from the current metanode, you will get a order filter applied over two different edges and then, the order will be not ok, since there will be some partially ordered concatenated node lists, and not just a fully ordered list.

3) Another issue is not about omnibrowser, but i think is worth to be noted.  If you extend any class in another package using *package-category protocol for new or modified methods, you will see the extended class on the package root, but you won't see it at the cathegory (i think it would be nice and a little more clear seeing the extensions at the specific package-category).  Also i found that TestRunner do not put the unitTest classes under a package unless the class itself where defined at the selected package (even if i added some test using the *package-category protocol name)

I hope some of you found this intresting

cheers

Re: Some questions about omnibroser framework

Stéphane Ducasse
hi juan sebastien

did you try to send this mail to the ob mailing-list?

Stef
On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:12 AM, aizcorbe wrote:

> I have been using the OmniBroser framework to extend the Lint browser
> (OR2LintBrowser) and i found some strange behavior i would like to comment:
>
> 1) When you select an item in the browser, the metagraph define some edges
> leading to other metanode types.  This is translated sending the edge names
> to the real nodes and getting all the following nodes, and then, those nodes
> are displayed on the following column at the browser, and if there isn't a
> next column it is created.  The strange issue here is that, if the messages
> for edge taking on the concrete nodes retrieves an empty collection of
> nodes, the next column is created anyway, because for the browser there is a
> next metagraph node.  Is this a problem or not? (I had to define much more
> complex metagraphs because of this, just to avoid an empty column).
>
> 2) When you use filters on the metagraph, they are applied over each taken
> edge leading to the next metagraph.  The filters are usually used for node
> ordering and here is a problem.  If you have more than one edge from the
> current metanode, you will get a order filter applied over two different
> edges and then, the order will be not ok, since there will be some partially
> ordered concatenated node lists, and not just a fully ordered list.
>
> 3) Another issue is not about omnibrowser, but i think is worth to be noted.
> If you extend any class in another package using *package-category protocol
> for new or modified methods, you will see the extended class on the package
> root, but you won't see it at the cathegory (i think it would be nice and a
> little more clear seeing the extensions at the specific package-category).
> Also i found that TestRunner do not put the unitTest classes under a package
> unless the class itself where defined at the selected package (even if i
> added some test using the *package-category protocol name)
>
> I hope some of you found this intresting
>
> cheers

Re: Some questions about omnibroser framework

aizcorbe
Not really, i couldn't find any OmniBrowser specific mailing list, i found this http://mail.wiresong.ca/mailman/listinfo/ob-dev but seems to be offline.  If you know some other place where omnibrowser people are, please tell me.

Cheers

Stéphane Ducasse wrote

Stef

Re: Some questions about omnibroser framework

hernanmd
http://groups.google.com/group/omnibrowser-dev

2011/1/4 aizcorbe <[hidden email]>:

> Not really, i couldn't find any OmniBrowser specific mailing list, i found
> this http://mail.wiresong.ca/mailman/listinfo/ob-dev but seems to be
> offline.  If you know some other place where omnibrowser people are, please
> tell me.
>
> Cheers
>

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> hi juan sebastien
>>
>> did you try to send this mail to the ob mailing-list?
>>
>> Stef
>> On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:12 AM, aizcorbe wrote:

Hernán Morales
Information Technology Manager,
Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
Internal: 422
Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: Some questions about omnibroser framework

aizcorbe
Great, i'll post this issues there, thanks a lot.
cheers

Hernán Morales Durand wrote

Re: Some questions about omnibroser framework

Alexandre Bergel
A bit outdated, but it may be useful...

http://www.bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg08cOmnibrowser.pdf

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Some questions about omnibroser framework

aizcorbe
Thanks Alexandre, I readed the documentation about omnibrowser found in pharo site, seems to be based on this paper.  I'll take a look on this.

Cheers
Alexandre Bergel wrote