Some questions about pharo

Adrien BARREAU
Hello =)

I have a few questions:

- If I run a headless Pharo, is it possible to display the graphical interface after? (for example, if something raises an exception, I want to open the GUI and use the debugger)

- I wanna run Pharo as a deamon; how can I interact with it after i launched it? (for example, if I want to give it a piece of code to execute).

Adrien.

Re: Some questions about pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/10/18 Adrien BARREAU <[hidden email]>
Hello =)

I have a few questions:

- If I run a headless Pharo, is it possible to display the graphical interface after? (for example, if something raises an exception, I want to open the GUI and use the debugger)

Not that I am aware of. However, what you can do is to run the image as headless and have VNC running on in. Then, from any machine with a VNC client you can connect, see the World, and use it.

Once I was thinking to hack a little and see if I can use the UIDummyMananger of PharoKernel but on a Pharo non-headless. And see if there was a way to not show any way, but then, after if you wanted, you just needed to change the UIManager. But I have no idea if this could work.

- I wanna run Pharo as a deamon; how can I interact with it after i launched it? (for example, if I want to give it a piece of code to execute).

I don't know :(

Adrien.

Re: Some questions about pharo

Lukas Renggli
See <http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/maintaining/vnc>.

Cheers,
Lukas

2010/10/18 Adrien BARREAU <[hidden email]>:

> Hello =)
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> - If I run a headless Pharo, is it possible to display the graphical
> interface after? (for example, if something raises an exception, I want to
> open the GUI and use the debugger)
>
> - I wanna run Pharo as a deamon; how can I interact with it after i launched
> it? (for example, if I want to give it a piece of code to execute).
>
> Adrien.

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Some questions about pharo

Adrien

did you have a look at

Display>>startUp  "DisplayScreen startUp"
        Display setExtent: self actualScreenSize depth: Display nativeDepth.
        Display beDisplay

this is what is happening when an image is launched
can you try to execute
        Display setExtent: self actualScreenSize depth: Display nativeDepth.
        Display beDisplay

in a script?

Or may be you could
        - avoid the headless argument when running the image and
        - have a flag there and make sure that you invoke
                Display setExtent: self actualScreenSize depth: Display nativeDepth.
                Display beDisplay
        when an error have.

Re: Some questions about pharo

Schwab,Wilhelm K
The Windows vm displays a system tray icon that allows the image to leave the headless state.  It has been quite useful, but there should be (hopefully is) a way to prevent that.

2010/10/18 Adrien BARREAU <[hidden email]>:

> Hello =)
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> - If I run a headless Pharo, is it possible to display the graphical
> interface after? (for example, if something raises an exception, I want to
> open the GUI and use the debugger)
>
> - I wanna run Pharo as a deamon; how can I interact with it after i launched
> it? (for example, if I want to give it a piece of code to execute).
>
> Adrien.

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Adrien

did you have a look at

Display>>startUp  "DisplayScreen startUp"
       Display setExtent: self actualScreenSize depth: Display nativeDepth.
       Display beDisplay

this is what is happening when an image is launched
can you try to execute
       Display setExtent: self actualScreenSize depth: Display nativeDepth.
       Display beDisplay

in a script?

The problem I think that if you send -headless to the VM.....you cannot change it...I mean, It doesn't care what you do in the image side.
But maybe i am wrong.

Or may be you could
       - avoid the headless argument when running the image and
       - have a flag there and make sure that you invoke
               Display setExtent: self actualScreenSize depth: Display nativeDepth.
               Display beDisplay
       when an error have.

Yes, I think this way should be easier. Not sure if possible, thought.

Cheers

mariano

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Windows vm displays a system tray icon that allows the image to leave the headless state.  It has been quite useful, but there should be (hopefully is) a way to prevent that.

ahh yes?? That's cool!  do you know if this is possible also with other VMs ?

2010/10/18 Adrien BARREAU <[hidden email]>:
> Hello =)
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> - If I run a headless Pharo, is it possible to display the graphical
> interface after? (for example, if something raises an exception, I want to
> open the GUI and use the debugger)
>
> - I wanna run Pharo as a deamon; how can I interact with it after i launched
> it? (for example, if I want to give it a piece of code to execute).
>
> Adrien.

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Some questions about pharo

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Possible?  Sure :)  You are of course asking whether it has been done, and I do not know the answer to that.  It is indeed a nice feature.  It is also one of those things that can also be classified as a bug ("The stupid user clicked this and caused all kinds of trouble..."), so it should be made conditional allowing truly headless operation when appropriate.

Another option is to remote into a headless image as Lukas suggested.

Bill

2010/10/18 Adrien BARREAU <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>:

> Hello =)
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> - If I run a headless Pharo, is it possible to display the graphical
> interface after? (for example, if something raises an exception, I want to
> open the GUI and use the debugger)
>
> - I wanna run Pharo as a deamon; how can I interact with it after i launched
> it? (for example, if I want to give it a piece of code to execute).
>
> Adrien.

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch<http://www.lukas-renggli.ch>

Re: Some questions about pharo

Pavel Krivanek-3
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Windows vm displays a system tray icon that allows the image to leave the headless state.  It has been quite useful, but there should be (hopefully is) a way to prevent that.

I think that someone asked on squeak-dev some time ago and Andreas
told that it is not possible with the standard VM.

-- Pavel

in this case we should focus on the next item and provide two images one for the debugging scenario and one for normal running of script.

Stef

On Oct 18, 2010, at 9:58 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The Windows vm displays a system tray icon that allows the image to leave the headless state.  It has been quite useful, but there should be (hopefully is) a way to prevent that.
>
> I think that someone asked on squeak-dev some time ago and Andreas
> told that it is not possible with the standard VM.
>
> -- Pavel

laza
2010/10/18 Adrien BARREAU <[hidden email]>:
> - If I run a headless Pharo, is it possible to display the graphical
> interface after? (for example, if something raises an exception, I want to
> open the GUI and use the debugger)

It depends. If your headless Pharo image is running on a unix VM you
could utilize the genius OSProcess/XDisplayControl plugin available
for this VM. Load the appropriate packages from [1] into your Pharo
image and then you can close and reopen the window even on another
machine if it's running X11. For example this

OSProcess thisOSProcess closeXDisplay.
(Delay forSeconds: 5) wait.
OSProcess thisOSProcess displayOnXServer: ':0.0'.

will close the Window (headless) and reopen it (headful) again on the
local X server after five seconds.
If you're using Seaside in that image you could trigger window
open/close via Seaside or you could change the default handler for
errors to make the window open on the local display as a default, ...

Alex

[1] http://www.squeaksource.com/OSProcess

Re: Some questions about pharo

This is neat.