Some simple questions

Bruno-2
Hi all,

I'm thinking to use Amber for a personal project at my job but first i need to know if it possible do it with Amber.

The global picture is:

We have a form server (orbeon.com) and my idea is to create a test tool in Amber for Orbeon forms.

In order to do this we need some functionallity:

1- Is it possible to get html inputs and append some text to it ? (to simulate user entry)
2- Is it possible to simulate a click on a button ? (to simulate user send button)
3- Is it possible to ask pages from the server ? (to do some stress test)

I just played around with Amber, very cool...

thanks very much...

Regards,
Bruno

PS: i'm Smalltalker using Dolphin Smalltalk since 1999.

Re: Some simple questions

Bruno-2
Hi,

I forgot to mention.
Points 1 and 2 are very likely but point 3 (stress test) i do not know because we have to load amber into the forms which it will penalize the performance.

Regards,
Bruno

El sábado, 15 de junio de 2013 21:43:12 UTC-3, Bruno escribió:
Hi all,

I'm thinking to use Amber for a personal project at my job but first i need to know if it possible do it with Amber.

The global picture is:

We have a form server (orbeon.com) and my idea is to create a test tool in Amber for Orbeon forms.

In order to do this we need some functionallity:

1- Is it possible to get html inputs and append some text to it ? (to simulate user entry)
2- Is it possible to simulate a click on a button ? (to simulate user send button)
3- Is it possible to ask pages from the server ? (to do some stress test)

I just played around with Amber, very cool...

thanks very much...

Regards,
Bruno

PS: i'm Smalltalker using Dolphin Smalltalk since 1999.

Re: Some simple questions

Herby Vojčík

Bruno wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking to use Amber for a personal project at my job but first i
> need to know if it possible do it with Amber.
>
> The global picture is:
>
> We have a form server (orbeon.com) and my idea is to create a test tool
> in Amber for Orbeon forms.
>
> In order to do this we need some functionallity:
>
> 1- Is it possible to get html inputs and append some text to it ? (to
> simulate user entry)
> 2- Is it possible to simulate a click on a button ? (to simulate user
> send button)
> 3- Is it possible to ask pages from the server ? (to do some stress test)

Everything you mentioned and lot of other things are not explicitly part
of amber (nor is there plan to). The reason is, amber integrates so well
with JavaScript that it uses JavaScript libraries for everything except
core Smalltalk itself.

So all of this is possible, using jQuery, which is already included.
So just 'myInputSelector' asJQuery text: 'foo' etc. works.

See wiki/docs, if you need to see more examples of JavaScript calls from
amber.

> I just played around with Amber, very cool...
>
> thanks very much...
>
> Regards,
> Bruno

Herby

Re: Some simple questions

Nicolas Petton
Hi!

Yes, for 1 and 2 I would simply use jQuery (see the example below) from within Amber. If you're not familiar with it, there's an excellent documentation on their website (jquery.com). And of course, if you run into trouble don't hesitate to post here!

 | input |

"get an input with the css class 'foo'"
input := window jQuery: 'input.foo'.

"set its contents to hello world"
input val: 'hello world'.

Cheers,
Nico

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Yes, for 1 and 2 I would simply use jQuery (see the example below) from
> within Amber. If you're not familiar with it, there's an excellent
> documentation on their website (jquery.com <http://jquery.com>). And of
> course, if you run into trouble don't hesitate to post here!
>

> | input |
>
> "get an input with the css class 'foo'"
> input := window jQuery: 'input.foo'.

Stylistic question: why you used
   window jQuery: ...
instead of
   ... asJQuery
?

> Cheers,
> Nico

Re: Some simple questions

Nicolas Petton
To answer something that is closer to javascript, I thought it would help understanding and then one can pick the jQuery doc and start writing it in Amber from there.

Nico
On Jun 17, 2013, at 12:13 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Yes, for 1 and 2 I would simply use jQuery (see the example below) from
>> within Amber. If you're not familiar with it, there's an excellent
>> documentation on their website (jquery.com <http://jquery.com>). And of
>> course, if you run into trouble don't hesitate to post here!
>>

>> | input |
>>
>> "get an input with the css class 'foo'"
>> input := window jQuery: 'input.foo'.
>
> Stylistic question: why you used