Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Something wrong with changes?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I might have a corrupt change log.  It is not particularly large, so I doubt it is size related.  The problem is that I am not getting temporary names (lots of t1, t2, ... where there should be meaningful names).  I recently copied the image from Linux to Windows and back; the timing is interesting. I also sometimes find that Ubuntu takes a LONG time to complete writes to flash sticks and wonder whether that might be an accident waiting to happen??

I have a backup from not quite a week ago and will check the image on the Windows box.  Between the two of them and some recovery, I can probably be back in action quickly.  It is also time for me to move from 1.1 RC2 to release anyway.

Does any of this (possible changes woes and/or problems moving between Linux and Windows) sound familiar?

Bill

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Something wrong with changes?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I was able to get a very recent image from the Windows box and it seems to work correctly after re-saving on Linux.  I am not sure exactly what I would lose by stopping at this point, hence my next question.

Not knowing whether the change log from the broken image is at fault, I hesitate to use it as the basis for future work.  If I understand how to recover lost changes, that is exactly what I would do: use it as the change log for the working image and recover changes into it.  Is there another, perhaps safer, way to do that?

Bill

Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 3:24 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Pharo-project] Something wrong with changes?

I might have a corrupt change log.  It is not particularly large, so I doubt it is size related.  The problem is that I am not getting temporary names (lots of t1, t2, ... where there should be meaningful names).  I recently copied the image from Linux to Windows and back; the timing is interesting. I also sometimes find that Ubuntu takes a LONG time to complete writes to flash sticks and wonder whether that might be an accident waiting to happen??

I have a backup from not quite a week ago and will check the image on the Windows box.  Between the two of them and some recovery, I can probably be back in action quickly.  It is also time for me to move from 1.1 RC2 to release anyway.

Does any of this (possible changes woes and/or problems moving between Linux and Windows) sound familiar?

Bill