Sophie rome vs a cairo binding

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

I would like to understand the difference between rome (the package in
sophie) and
a cairo binding such that one of squeak-GTK.
Thanks

Re: Sophie rome vs a cairo binding

Michael Rueger-6
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to understand the difference between rome (the package in
> sophie) and
> a cairo binding such that one of squeak-GTK.

I'm not sure how the GTK bindings work, so can't say anything about that.

Rome is more than just a Cairo binding, it is basically a new Canvas
hierarchy that support different back-ends. Currently supported are
Cairo and Balloon, but it could be possible to add a BitBlt based
backend as well. Or native bindings to Direct-X etc.

So in my eyes Rome could be a way to migrate off of the current
inconsistent Canvas zoo onto something consistent and extensible.

But then I'm slightly biased ;-)

Michael

Re: Sophie rome vs a cairo binding

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok thanks I thought it was that too.
I will add that for 1.1

Stef

On Feb 28, 2009, at 8:25 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I would like to understand the difference between rome (the package
>> in
>> sophie) and
>> a cairo binding such that one of squeak-GTK.
>
> I'm not sure how the GTK bindings work, so can't say anything about
> that.
>
> Rome is more than just a Cairo binding, it is basically a new Canvas
> hierarchy that support different back-ends. Currently supported are
> Cairo and Balloon, but it could be possible to add a BitBlt based
> backend as well. Or native bindings to Direct-X etc.
>
> So in my eyes Rome could be a way to migrate off of the current
> inconsistent Canvas zoo onto something consistent and extensible.
>
> But then I'm slightly biased ;-)
>
> Michael

Re: Sophie rome vs a cairo binding

Gary Chambers-4
Canvas would be good to abstract for more backends.
Same ethos can apply to higher-level ui things too. Will be needed I think.

Consider Polymorph as an experiment into what is possible. Should be able to
distill things from that in a more general sense along with the flexibility
of host windows etc.

Regards, Gary