Sound in 1.4 or 2.0?

Bernat Romagosa
Hi list,

Is it possible to get sound working in either 1.4 or 2.0? In 2.0 almost all sound-related classes seem to have disappeared from the library, in 1.4 they haven't, but even copying the Scratch alsa (or OSS) plugin and running the image with the correct plugin parameters doesn't work for me.

I asked this question before, but got no answer. Anybody else interested in working with sound in Pharo?

Thanks!

Bernat.

p.s. I'm using Debian.

Bernat Romagosa.

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Sound in 1.4 or 2.0?

philippeback
I do have sound working properly in 1.4

Works on MacOSX and iPad for me.

You should load the Sound packages from the right repo which I don't remember. Someone please help.

I have attached a copy of my Monticello package-cache as saved.

Also, you can use it this way (inspect and debug around to understand how all of this works, SoundPlayer isn't SoundSystem...)

Test class>>soundSamples
"Test hardware"

| ss |
SoundPlayer boinkScale. "See if sound is enabled"
SoundService soundEnabled. "This should answer the BaseSoundSystem class"
SoundService registeredClasses.
SoundService reset.
BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true.
SoundService default. "Let's make some noise"
ss := SoundService default new.
ss class soundEnabled.
ss class soundEnabled: true.
ss beep.
(FMSound lowMajorScaleOn: FMSound pluckedElecBass) play.
(FMSound lowMajorScaleOn: FMSound randomWeird1) play.
(FMSound majorScaleOn: FMSound oboe1) play.
FMSound testFMInteractively.
(SampledSound bachFugueVoice2On: SampledSound new) play.
SoundPlayer shutDown

Hope it helps. And keep in touch!

Phil

2012/9/3 Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
Is there anybody out there?

2012/8/29 Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
Hi list,

Is it possible to get sound working in either 1.4 or 2.0? In 2.0 almost all sound-related classes seem to have disappeared from the library, in 1.4 they haven't, but even copying the Scratch alsa (or OSS) plugin and running the image with the correct plugin parameters doesn't work for me.

I asked this question before, but got no answer. Anybody else interested in working with sound in Pharo?

Thanks!

Bernat.

p.s. I'm using Debian.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

Sound-PhilippeBack.66.mcz (360K) Download Attachment

Re: Sound in 1.4 or 2.0?

Bernat Romagosa
Thanks! Got it working now!

However, I had to replace the vm-sound-ALSA plugin that comes bundled in the 1.4 one-click image with the so.vm-sound-ALSA one that comes in Squeak 4.3. Couldn't we include that one by default? The one that comes with Pharo doesn't work and reports "could not find module vm-sound-ALSA".

Cheers,

Bernat Romagosa.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Sound in 1.4 or 2.0?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Bernat Romagosa wrote
should have done this myself...
We will all get to the system of our dreams as a team ;) Thank you for being persistent and pushing to get this handled - sound is an important part of the foundation for users, even if we don't necessarily miss it while hacking on the system :)

Sean
Cheers,
Sean