Sound

Bernat Romagosa
Hi list,

I'm experiencing a very weird behavior:

I put a wav, mp3, ogg file in my amber root folder and try to access it from localhost:4000/myfile.wav

Results:
From a Mac: No matter the browser, it opens the browser's sound player and the sound plays.
From a Debian box: No matter the browser, it opens the browser's sound player but the sound doesn't play. The player looks broken, notice the bar: http://i.imgur.com/ZTeB6.png

So, to rule out browser/OS problems, I put the exact same file in my apache root folder and try to access it from localhost/myfile.wav

Results:
No matter the OS or browser, the browser player plays the sound as it should.

The node.js and Amber versions are exactly the same in both machines... any ideas?

Thanks,

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Sound

gokr
Can be some chunked transfer thingy or whatever. But why would you want to serve it using server?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

On Sep 23, 2011 11:12, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi list,

I'm experiencing a very weird behavior:

I put a wav, mp3, ogg file in my amber root folder and try to access it from localhost:4000/myfile.wav

Results:
From a Mac: No matter the browser, it opens the browser's sound player and the sound plays.
From a Debian box: No matter the browser, it opens the browser's sound player but the sound doesn't play. The player looks broken, notice the bar: http://i.imgur.com/ZTeB6.png

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Sound

Bernat Romagosa
Because I'm writing a sound layer for Ludus, and it should be as easy as putting the files in the amber folder and doing something like:

sound := Sound newFrom: 'mySound.mp3'.
sound play.

#newFrom: would add a new HTML5 audio tag to the body with src="mySound.mp3"

Of course if I was serving my app via Apache -which will most probably be the case at deploy time- the problem would be gone. No big deal, for now I'm using absolute URLs and fetching the files from Apache to be able to go on with the implementation, but it'd be nice if I could find out where the problem comes from...

Cheers,

2011/9/23 <[hidden email]>
Can be some chunked transfer thingy or whatever. But why would you want to serve it using server?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

On Sep 23, 2011 11:12, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi list,

I'm experiencing a very weird behavior:

I put a wav, mp3, ogg file in my amber root folder and try to access it from localhost:4000/myfile.wav

Results:
From a Mac: No matter the browser, it opens the browser's sound player and the sound plays.
From a Debian box: No matter the browser, it opens the browser's sound player but the sound doesn't play. The player looks broken, notice the bar: http://i.imgur.com/ZTeB6.png

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Sound

Hannes Hirzel
As Göran suggested you might try just a very short *.mp3 file ( < 10kB).

And we might want to construct a test case for the server for this
file (something like having it as data in a method in the test case as
source code, then convert it to binary and compare it to what is
received from the server).

Hannes

On 9/23/11, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Because I'm writing a sound layer for Ludus, and it should be as easy as
> putting the files in the amber folder and doing something like:
>
> sound := Sound newFrom: 'mySound.mp3'.
> sound play.
>
> #newFrom: would add a new HTML5 audio tag to the body with src="mySound.mp3"

Looks good.

> Of course if I was serving my app via Apache -which will most probably be
> the case at deploy time- the problem would be gone. No big deal, for now I'm
> using absolute URLs and fetching the files from Apache to be able to go on
> with the implementation, but it'd be nice if I could find out where the
> problem comes from...
>
> Cheers,
>
> 2011/9/23 <[hidden email]>
>
>> Can be some chunked transfer thingy or whatever. But why would you want to
>> serve it using server?
>>

>> -- Sent from my Palm Pre
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> On Sep 23, 2011 11:12, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm experiencing a very weird behavior:
>>
>> I put a wav, mp3, ogg file in my amber root folder and try to access it
>> from localhost:4000/myfile.wav
>>
>> *Results: *
>> From a Mac: No matter the browser, it opens the browser's sound player and
>> the sound plays.
>> From a Debian box: No matter the browser, it opens the browser's sound
>> player but the sound doesn't play. The player looks broken, notice the
>> bar:
>> http://i.imgur.com/ZTeB6.png
>>
>> So, to rule out browser/OS problems, I put the exact same file in my
>> apache
>> root folder and try to access it from localhost/myfile.wav
>>
>> *Results:*
>> No matter the OS or browser, the browser player plays the sound as it
>> should.
>>
>> The node.js and Amber versions are exactly the same in both machines...
>> any
>> ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Bernat Romagosa.

> Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Sound

Bernat Romagosa
It's been a bit of a pain, but it's done now :)

Thanks and cheers!

--
Bernat Romagosa.