Sound volume control in navigator bar

Karl Ramberg
Hi
I made a sound volume control in the navigator bar.
I'm on Windows, so I don't know if there are platform issues.
Could someone test on Mac ?
I can test Linux my self.

http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sugar-kfr.17.mcz

Karl

Re: Sound volume control in navigator bar

Steve Thomas
Works on Mac.

One thing I noticed (on Mac and Windows) is that when you drag the slider it makes "noises" as you move.  Perhaps its because I am used to the way the Mac works, but would it be better to simply play the sound on Mouse Up and not as you drag?  or perhaps a continuous tone as you drag?

Also the sound is a bit "harsh"  is there a more pleasant tone we could use?

Last comment, when I change the sound on my Mac one click on the slider changes the sound.  Of course the slider in Etoys does not work that way, you have to drag the slider to move it.

Thanks,
Stephen

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Works on Mac.
>
> One thing I noticed (on Mac and Windows) is that when you drag the slider it
> makes "noises" as you move.  Perhaps its because I am used to the way the
> Mac works, but would it be better to simply play the sound on Mouse Up and
> not as you drag?  or perhaps a continuous tone as you drag?

Thanks for feedback.
Changed to only play sound on mouse up.

> Also the sound is a bit "harsh"  is there a more pleasant tone we could use?

Not many nice sounds to choose from ;-)
Trying with 'coyote' now.

> Last comment, when I change the sound on my Mac one click on the slider
> changes the sound.  Of course the slider in Etoys does not work that way,
> you have to drag the slider to move it.

I tested to make it work Mac way in
http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sugar-kfr.18.mcz

Karl

By the way, sound on Linux is not easy to test :-(
Anyone with a Linux with working sound out there ?
I have a XO but it is not working. Battery has failed and charger is broken ...

> Thanks,
> Stephen
>
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> I made a sound volume control in the navigator bar.
>> I'm on Windows, so I don't know if there are platform issues.
>> Could someone test on Mac ?
>> I can test Linux my self.
>>
>> http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sugar-kfr.17.mcz
>>
>> Karl

Re: Sound volume control in navigator bar

Ricardo Moran

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
(...)

By the way, sound on Linux is not easy to test :-(
Anyone with a Linux with working sound out there ?
I have a XO but it is not working. Battery has failed and charger is broken ...

My brother's computer has Linux, I'll test it there.

Cheers,
Richo

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
(...)

By the way, sound on Linux is not easy to test :-(
Anyone with a Linux with working sound out there ?
I have a XO but it is not working. Battery has failed and charger is broken ...

My brother's computer has Linux, I'll test it there.

In my brother's computer (Ubuntu 10.04) the coyote howls but the volume does not change, the slider is always at top.
It seems the sound plugin is broken here because doing the following doesn't work either:

SoundPlayer setVolumeLeft: 0.0 volumeRight: 0.0.
SoundPlayer soundVolume "always returns #(1.0 1.0)"

Cheers,
Richo

Cheers,
Richo

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> (...)
>>

>>> By the way, sound on Linux is not easy to test :-(
>>> Anyone with a Linux with working sound out there ?
>>> I have a XO but it is not working. Battery has failed and charger is
>>> broken ...
>>

>> My brother's computer has Linux, I'll test it there.
>

> In my brother's computer (Ubuntu 10.04) the coyote howls but the volume does
> not change, the slider is always at top.
> It seems the sound plugin is broken here because doing the following doesn't
> work either:
>
> SoundPlayer setVolumeLeft: 0.0 volumeRight: 0.0.
> SoundPlayer soundVolume "always returns #(1.0 1.0)"

I saw something similar on my Ununtu. I heard no sound from Etoy but
the slider was always at the top.

I guess the volume control in the navigator bar can be hidden on Linux

Thanks

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for feedback.
Changed to only play sound on mouse up.
Works great. When I click it set to where I click.

Some more comments:
  1. When I click, the setting is fine, but the slider instantly disappears.  May want to put in a slight delay before disappearing so there is a visual clue as to the change.
  2. When I drag to bottom it Mutes the volume.  This is good.  Not sure if we should have a visual mute below the slider, will look at other implementations.
  3. If I click the speaker multiple times it opens multiple sliders.  Would be nice if only opened once.
Stephen

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for feedback.
>> Changed to only play sound on mouse up.
>
> Works great. When I click it set to where I click.
>
> Some more comments:
>
> When I click, the setting is fine, but the slider instantly disappears.  May
> want to put in a slight delay before disappearing so there is a visual clue
> as to the change.
> When I drag to bottom it Mutes the volume.  This is good.  Not sure if we
> should have a visual mute below the slider, will look at other
> implementations.
> If I click the speaker multiple times it opens multiple sliders.  Would be
> nice if only opened once.

I changed volume bar to delete only on mouseLeave.

UI stuff sure is a lot of minute changes and tweaking ;-)

Karl

>> > Last comment, when I change the sound on my Mac one click on the slider
>> > changes the sound.  Of course the slider in Etoys does not work that
>> > way,
>> > you have to drag the slider to move it.
>>
>> I tested to make it work Mac way in
>> http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sugar-kfr.18.mcz
>>
>> Karl
>>
>> By the way, sound on Linux is not easy to test :-(
>> Anyone with a Linux with working sound out there ?
>> I have a XO but it is not working. Battery has failed and charger is
>> broken ...
>>

>> > Thanks,
>> > Stephen

Re: Sound volume control in navigator bar

Karl Ramberg
Hm, if I leave sound volume down in Etoys, there is no sound in flash
movies in my web browser :-(
The primitive is misbehaving.

Karl

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for feedback.
>>> Changed to only play sound on mouse up.
>>
>> Works great. When I click it set to where I click.
>>
>> Some more comments:
>>
>> When I click, the setting is fine, but the slider instantly disappears.  May
>> want to put in a slight delay before disappearing so there is a visual clue
>> as to the change.
>> When I drag to bottom it Mutes the volume.  This is good.  Not sure if we
>> should have a visual mute below the slider, will look at other
>> implementations.
>> If I click the speaker multiple times it opens multiple sliders.  Would be
>> nice if only opened once.
>>

> I changed volume bar to delete only on mouseLeave.
>
> UI stuff sure is a lot of minute changes and tweaking ;-)
>
> Karl

>>> I tested to make it work Mac way in
>>> http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sugar-kfr.18.mcz
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>
>>> By the way, sound on Linux is not easy to test :-(
>>> Anyone with a Linux with working sound out there ?
>>> I have a XO but it is not working. Battery has failed and charger is
>>> broken ...

Re: Sound volume control in navigator bar

Bert Freudenberg
On 21.02.2012, at 21:21, karl ramberg wrote:

> Hm, if I leave sound volume down in Etoys, there is no sound in flash
> movies in my web browser :-(
> The primitive is misbehaving.

It changes the system volume, yes. That's one reason why we removed it from the nav bar (or rather, did not add it to the Sugar-style tool bar). Also, the XO and I guess most other laptops and Macs do have volume keys, so why would you need that in the Etoys toolbar?

- Bert -

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 21.02.2012, at 21:21, karl ramberg wrote:
>
>> Hm, if I leave sound volume down in Etoys, there is no sound in flash
>> movies in my web browser :-(
>> The primitive is misbehaving.
>

> It changes the system volume, yes. That's one reason why we removed it from the nav bar (or rather, did not add it to the Sugar->style tool bar). Also, the XO and I guess most other laptops and Macs do have volume keys, so why would you need that in the >Etoys toolbar?

The reason I want it in the toolbar is that I may want sound from the
machine like music playing, but I don't want the sounds from Etoys. Or
I want the sounds from Etoys, too, but they are way to loud compared
to the other sounds from my system.

It's kind of like why all flash movie players have sound controls. You
could adjust the volume on the machine, but it's more convenient to
adjust the program making the sound than the whole machine.

But I also would like to be able to set the volume of sounds by tiles
so one can do basic fade in and out and other adjustments.
I looked at Scratch and they use MixedSound and the volume control per
sound. It could be a better solution as the platform issue would
disappear I think/hope. But I have to take a closer look at the how
they use MixedSound...

Anyway, to implement all sound interfaces on just Windows in a
primitive seem to be a total nightmare, so I hope it can be solved in
image.

On 22.02.2012, at 18:46, karl ramberg wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 21.02.2012, at 21:21, karl ramberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hm, if I leave sound volume down in Etoys, there is no sound in flash
>>> movies in my web browser :-(
>>> The primitive is misbehaving.
>>

>> It changes the system volume, yes. That's one reason why we removed it from the nav bar (or rather, did not add it to the Sugar->style tool bar). Also, the XO and I guess most other laptops and Macs do have volume keys, so why would you need that in the >Etoys toolbar?
>
> The reason I want it in the toolbar is that I may want sound from the
> machine like music playing, but I don't want the sounds from Etoys. Or
> I want the sounds from Etoys, too, but they are way to loud compared
> to the other sounds from my system.
>
> It's kind of like why all flash movie players have sound controls. You
> could adjust the volume on the machine, but it's more convenient to
> adjust the program making the sound than the whole machine.
>
> But I also would like to be able to set the volume of sounds by tiles
> so one can do basic fade in and out and other adjustments.
> I looked at Scratch and they use MixedSound and the volume control per
> sound. It could be a better solution as the platform issue would
> disappear I think/hope. But I have to take a closer look at the how
> they use MixedSound...
>
> Anyway, to implement all sound interfaces on just Windows in a
> primitive seem to be a total nightmare, so I hope it can be solved in
> image.
>
> Karl

Yes, modifying the volume in the image should do what you want.

I think this could even work with zero overhead. Modify AbstractSound>>playSampleCount:into:startingAt: by initializing fullVol to something less than AbstractSound scaleFactor. E.g.

        AbstractSound scaleFactor * SoundPlayer soundVolume // 100

(assuming that soundVolume was changed to not use the primitive but just be a class var)

- Bert -

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22.02.2012, at 18:46, karl ramberg wrote:

>>> It changes the system volume, yes. That's one reason why we removed it from the nav bar (or rather, did not add it to the Sugar->style tool bar). Also, the XO and I guess most other laptops and Macs do have volume keys, so why would you need that in the >Etoys toolbar?
>>
>> The reason I want it in the toolbar is that I may want sound from the
>> machine like music playing, but I don't want the sounds from Etoys. Or
>> I want the sounds from Etoys, too, but they are way to loud compared
>> to the other sounds from my system.
>>
>> It's kind of like why all flash movie players have sound controls. You
>> could adjust the volume on the machine, but it's more convenient to
>> adjust the program making the sound than the whole machine.
>>
>> But I also would like to be able to set the volume of sounds by tiles
>> so one can do basic fade in and out and other adjustments.
>> I looked at Scratch and they use MixedSound and the volume control per
>> sound. It could be a better solution as the platform issue would
>> disappear I think/hope. But I have to take a closer look at the how
>> they use MixedSound...
>>
>> Anyway, to implement all sound interfaces on just Windows in a
>> primitive seem to be a total nightmare, so I hope it can be solved in
>> image.
>>
>> Karl
>

> Yes, modifying the volume in the image should do what you want.
>
> I think this could even work with zero overhead. Modify AbstractSound>>playSampleCount:into:startingAt: by initializing fullVol to something less than AbstractSound scaleFactor. E.g.
>
>        AbstractSound scaleFactor * SoundPlayer soundVolume // 100
>
> (assuming that soundVolume was changed to not use the primitive but just be a class var)

Cool.
I added a class variable to SoundPlayer called Volume and just changed
the SoundPlayer accessors.

This works really well on Windows XP.
Could someone try this on other platforms ?

http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sound-kfr.22.mcz
http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sugar-kfr.19.mcz

On 22.02.2012, at 21:49, karl ramberg wrote:

> I added a class variable to SoundPlayer called Volume and just changed
> the SoundPlayer accessors.
>
> This works really well on Windows XP.
> Could someone try this on other platforms ?
>
> http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sound-kfr.22.mcz
> http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sugar-kfr.19.mcz
>
> Karl

Works on Mac, and really should work everywhere since it's done all in-image.

For performance, you should make sure fullVol is an integer.

Also, the volume slider in the tool bar feels odd. Maybe it should appear in a fixed position below the button and be larger?

- Bert -

On 23.02.2012, at 13:36, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 22.02.2012, at 21:49, karl ramberg wrote:
>
>> I added a class variable to SoundPlayer called Volume and just changed
>> the SoundPlayer accessors.
>>
>> This works really well on Windows XP.
>> Could someone try this on other platforms ?
>>
>> http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sound-kfr.22.mcz
>> http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sugar-kfr.19.mcz
>>
>> Karl
>

> Works on Mac, and really should work everywhere since it's done all in-image.
>
> For performance, you should make sure fullVol is an integer.
>
> Also, the volume slider in the tool bar feels odd. Maybe it should appear in a fixed position below the button and be larger?
>
> - Bert -

And there is no need to take the average of the volume - why not use left and right separately, as intended?

- Bert -

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23.02.2012, at 13:36, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> On 22.02.2012, at 21:49, karl ramberg wrote:
>>
>>> I added a class variable to SoundPlayer called Volume and just changed
>>> the SoundPlayer accessors.
>>>
>>> This works really well on Windows XP.
>>> Could someone try this on other platforms ?
>>>
>>> http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sound-kfr.22.mcz
>>> http://source.squeak.org/etoysinbox/Sugar-kfr.19.mcz
>>>
>>> Karl
>>

>> Works on Mac, and really should work everywhere since it's done all in-image.
>>
>> For performance, you should make sure fullVol is an integer.
>>
>> Also, the volume slider in the tool bar feels odd. Maybe it should appear in a fixed position below the button and be larger?
>>
>> - Bert -
>

> And there is no need to take the average of the volume - why not use left and right separately, as intended?
>
> - Bert -

I'll look at it.
It crashed hard without a debug stack when I passed the array,  so I
used average instead.

I'll fix the position of the scroll bar, too.

On 23.02.2012, at 15:45, karl ramberg wrote:

> I'll fix the position of the scroll bar, too.
>
> Karl

Getting there, but still not good enough ;)

When you click the sound button three times, you get three sliders. Perhaps it would be better if the behavior was like the old volume slider? It would pop up on mouse down, you could adjust volume while moving, and it would go away on mouse up. Actually the code is still there, maybe you can resurrect it?

For making it look nicer I think the slider should start below the button, like the other flaps. Or cover the button completely, perhaps? Not sure.

Also, the old button's balloon help was 'Change sound volume'. We should keep that, there's no need to add another phrase to translate.

And I think when running in Sugar we should not show the volume control. There is not enough space in the tool bar.

- Bert -