Sounds / Silence

Vincent Lesbros-2
Hi,

I am new to Pharo,
I try to get a sound from the SoundPlayer.

I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app

I did :
 BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true

I create an instance of AbstractSound, from the beep example, or an instance ofPluckedSound... whatever.
And, when I send the message play,
the primitive to play the sound fails.

primSoundStartBufferSize: bufferSize rate: samplesPerSecond stereo: stereoFlag
"Start double-buffered sound output with the given buffer size and sampling rate. This version has been superceded by primitive 171 (primSoundStartBufferSize:rate:stereo:semaIndex:)."
"ar 12/5/1998 Turn off the sound if not supported"
<primitive: 'primitiveSoundStart' module: 'SoundPlugin'>
SoundSupported := false.
La primitive échoue et le flag SoundSupported est remis à false.

My environnemt is windows 7 64bits,
I do have a sound card !!

Where is the good plugin and how should I activate it ?

thanks,

VL.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Stéphane Ducasse
vincent

which vm are you using?
On which OS are you?
Because on mac lion I used the cocoa blessed VM and it works that is on jenkins. Now on 64 bits I do not know.

Stef

On Feb 19, 2012, at 10:26 PM, Vincent Lesbros wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Pharo,
> I try to get a sound from the SoundPlayer.
>
> I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
>
> I did :
>  BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true
>
> I create an instance of AbstractSound, from the beep example, or an instance ofPluckedSound... whatever.
> And, when I send the message play,
> the primitive to play the sound fails.
>
> primSoundStartBufferSize: bufferSize rate: samplesPerSecond stereo: stereoFlag
> "Start double-buffered sound output with the given buffer size and sampling rate. This version has been superceded by primitive 171 (primSoundStartBufferSize:rate:stereo:semaIndex:)."
> "ar 12/5/1998 Turn off the sound if not supported"
> <primitive: 'primitiveSoundStart' module: 'SoundPlugin'>
> SoundSupported := false.
> La primitive échoue et le flag SoundSupported est remis à false.
>
> My environnemt is windows 7 64bits,
> I do have a sound card !!
>

> Where is the good plugin and how should I activate it ?
>
> thanks,
>
> VL.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Vincent Lesbros-2
Hi Stef,

Answers are in previous message :
 > I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
(I donwload the last stable version 1.3 one click from http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download )

My environnemt is windows 7 64bits,
for information, I try Squeak 4.2 and the Sound package works on my box.

2012/2/20 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
vincent

which vm are you using?
On which OS are you?
Because on mac lion I used the cocoa blessed VM and it works that is on jenkins. Now on 64 bits I do not know.

Stef

On Feb 19, 2012, at 10:26 PM, Vincent Lesbros wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Pharo,
> I try to get a sound from the SoundPlayer.
>
> I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
>
> I did :
>  BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true
>
> I create an instance of AbstractSound, from the beep example, or an instance ofPluckedSound... whatever.
> And, when I send the message play,
> the primitive to play the sound fails.
>
> primSoundStartBufferSize: bufferSize rate: samplesPerSecond stereo: stereoFlag
>       "Start double-buffered sound output with the given buffer size and sampling rate. This version has been superceded by primitive 171 (primSoundStartBufferSize:rate:stereo:semaIndex:)."
>       "ar 12/5/1998 Turn off the sound if not supported"
>       <primitive: 'primitiveSoundStart' module: 'SoundPlugin'>
>       SoundSupported := false.
> La primitive échoue et le flag SoundSupported est remis à false.
>
> My environnemt is windows 7 64bits,
> I do have a sound card !!
>

> Where is the good plugin and how should I activate it ?
>
> thanks,
>
> VL.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Stéphane Ducasse

> Hi Stef,
>
> Answers are in previous message :
>  > I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
> (I donwload the last stable version 1.3 one click from http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download )
>
> My environnemt is windows 7 64bits,
> for information, I try Squeak 4.2 and the Sound package works on my box.

So can you try the pharo image on the squeak vm because this is probably a problem with a plugin.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Igor Stasenko
On 20 February 2012 16:25, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> Answers are in previous message :
>>  > I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
>> (I donwload the last stable version 1.3 one click from http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download )
>>
>> My environnemt is windows 7 64bits,
>> for information, I try Squeak 4.2 and the Sound package works on my box.
>
> So can you try the pharo image on the squeak vm because this is probably a problem with a plugin.
>
> Stef

Yeah, we should check the status of this thing.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Vincent Lesbros-2
How can I do that ?

I did copy the pharo.image (and pharo.change) in the
C:\Tools\Squeak-4.2-All-in-One\Squeak 4.2
All-in-One.app\Contents\Resources
 of Squeak, and try to launch the image with Squeak.exe, but squeak
still opens it's Squeak4.2-10966.image.

Hum.

2012/2/20 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> Answers are in previous message :
>>  > I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
>> (I donwload the last stable version 1.3 one click from http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download )
>>
>> My environnemt is windows 7 64bits,
>> for information, I try Squeak 4.2 and the Sound package works on my box.
>
> So can you try the pharo image on the squeak vm because this is probably a problem with a plugin.
>
> Stef

Re: Sounds / Silence

Igor Stasenko
On 20 February 2012 18:52, Vincent Lesbros <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How can I do that ?
>
> I did copy the pharo.image (and pharo.change) in the
> C:\Tools\Squeak-4.2-All-in-One\Squeak 4.2
> All-in-One.app\Contents\Resources
>  of Squeak, and try to launch the image with Squeak.exe, but squeak
> still opens it's Squeak4.2-10966.image.

go to .ini file and delete the line which hard wires vm with only one image.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Vincent Lesbros-2
Sorry,

I did remove the line in the ini file.
ImageFile="Contents\Resources\Squeak4.2-10966.image"

Squeak doesn't accept to start on pharo.image.
Ii open a file dialog box to select an image file, I select the pharo
image, but... Squeak stops, indicating that there are several ways to
open an image file... etc..

2012/2/20 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> On 20 February 2012 18:52, Vincent Lesbros <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How can I do that ?
>>
>> I did copy the pharo.image (and pharo.change) in the
>> C:\Tools\Squeak-4.2-All-in-One\Squeak 4.2
>> All-in-One.app\Contents\Resources
>>  of Squeak, and try to launch the image with Squeak.exe, but squeak
>> still opens it's Squeak4.2-10966.image.
>>
> go to .ini file and delete the line which hard wires vm with only one image.
>

>> Hum.

>>> So can you try the pharo image on the squeak vm because this is probably a problem with a plugin.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Igor Stasenko
looks like the VM you using quite old and cannot read a new image
format, which pharo using.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Vincent Lesbros-2
I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
(the last stable one)
and Squeak 4.2

2012/2/21 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> looks like the VM you using quite old and cannot read a new image
> format, which pharo using.
>
> On 21 February 2012 11:42, Vincent Lesbros <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry,
>>
>> I did remove the line in the ini file.
>> ImageFile="Contents\Resources\Squeak4.2-10966.image"
>>
>> Squeak doesn't accept to start on pharo.image.
>> Ii open a file dialog box to select an image file, I select the pharo
>> image, but... Squeak stops, indicating that there are several ways to
>> open an image file... etc..

>>> go to .ini file and delete the line which hard wires vm with only one image.

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko.
>>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Igor Stasenko
On 21 February 2012 17:29, Vincent Lesbros <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
> (the last stable one)
> and Squeak 4.2

hmm it should work fine.
i'm out of ideas, why it doesn't like the image :(

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Vincent Lesbros-2
I think a little bit strange to run an image from a system with the VM
of another one.
What waranty for futur evolutions (of one or the other system) ?
If the sound doen't work because of a "pluggin" prehaps it would be
better to change that pluggin.

2012/2/21 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> On 21 February 2012 17:29, Vincent Lesbros <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
>> (the last stable one)
>> and Squeak 4.2
>>
> hmm it should work fine.
> i'm out of ideas, why it doesn't like the image :(
>
>> 2012/2/21 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>>> looks like the VM you using quite old and cannot read a new image
>>> format, which pharo using.

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko.
>>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 22, 2012, at 12:21 AM, Vincent Lesbros wrote:

> I think a little bit strange to run an image from a system with the VM
> of another one.

well you do not know really the full history. So the pharo images are working on the squeakVM.
Now may be there is a problem with the 64bit support.

> What waranty for futur evolutions (of one or the other system) ?

DNU:
Now if you mean that you would love us to have 5 engineers to build our own VM! why not?
Tell me where I should sign.

> If the sound doen't work because of a "pluggin" prehaps it would be
> better to change that plugging.

The problem may not be the plugin code but its compiled version.
Now if you want to give us a chance to fix your problem provide a list of link
and steps so that we can try to reproduce the problem because may be the error is coming
from a different setup.

And yes we will brand our VM and make sure that the code works. Now we can automatically
build all the vm on their respective OS at each commit of code :)
Stef

> 2012/2/21 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>> On 21 February 2012 17:29, Vincent Lesbros <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
>>> (the last stable one)
>>> and Squeak 4.2
>>>
>> hmm it should work fine.
>> i'm out of ideas, why it doesn't like the image :(

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Vincent Lesbros-2
Hi Stephane & Igor

the steps where :

1/ Download http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/29274/Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.zip
22,0 Mo (23 109 783 octets)

2/ Unzip in My C:\Tools directory.
I get warning messages from the Windows explorer while unzipping :

Comfirmez la perte de chiffrement
Un problème empêche le chiffrement de ce dossier
<Oui> <Ignorer> <Annuler>

I click <Oui> to decompress files, if I ignore, folders are not copied.

Total size (after decompressing) :
73,7 Mo (77 366 677 octets)
51 Fichiers, 9 Dossiers

3/ in C:\Tools\Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick\Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
run Pahro.exe
Windows warns

4/ paste "BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true" and do it, in the
"Welcome to Pharo" window. (has indicated by Stephan).
5/ Open a System Browser
6/ Find class "AbstractSound"
7/ Switch browser to "Class"
8/ Select the bachFugue method.
bachFugue
        "Play a fugue by J. S. Bach using and instance of me as the sound for
all four voices."
        "PluckedSound bachFugue play"

        ^ self bachFugueOn: self default

9/ select "PluckedSound bachFugue play"
10/ try "Debug it'
11/ Exception : an OBTextMorphSelection had the subclass
responsibility to implement : #debugIt
12/ Close the exception, open a Workspace, paste "PluckedSound
bachFugue play"  and debug it.
13/ The first primitive encountered seems to be <primitive:
'primitiveSoundStartWithSemaphore' module: 'SoundPlugin'>
in SoundPlaye class : primSoundStartBufferSize: bufferSize rate:
samplesPerSecond stereo: stereoFlag semaIndex: anInteger

No sounds.

// TEST AVEC PHARO 1.0
1/ Download http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26828/Pharo-1.0-OneClick.zip
30,1 Mo (31 606 018 octets)

2/ Unzip with windows explorer "Extraire tout..."
Same dialog "Comfirmez la perte de chiffrement" <Oui>
Result decompressing :
83,3 Mo (87 368 501 octets)
918 Fichiers, 255 Dossiers

3/ Run the Pharo.exe,
4/ Alert from Avast, I answer "Lancer normalement"

5/ Go to AbstractSound and play the Bach fugue with Karplus-Strong's
plucked string, it Works.

---
> DNU:
> Now if you mean that you would love us to have 5 engineers to build our own VM! why not?
> Tell me where I should sign.
I would love too.

> Now may be there is a problem with the 64bit support.
Apparentty not, because Squeak 4.3 and Pharo 1.0 have sounds working.

>> What waranty for futur evolutions (of one or the other system) ?
Perhaps it his where we disagree. I don't like changes applied on
things that are working.

>> If the sound doen't work because of a "pluggin" prehaps it would be
>> better to change that plugging.
>
> The problem may not be the plugin code but its compiled version.
> Now if you want to give us a chance to fix your problem provide a list of link
> and steps so that we can try to reproduce the problem because may be the error is coming
> from a different setup.
I try to do it, see upper.
But nothing special in setup.

> And yes we will brand our VM and make sure that the code works. Now we can automatically
> build all the vm on their respective OS at each commit of code :)
> Stef
In the 70's we had Lisp machines, I hope we will soon have Pharo machines.

As it works with 1.0, and it doesn't with 1.3, wich version sould I
try to help in finding the problem ?

Best regards,
Vincent

>>> hmm it should work fine.
>>> i'm out of ideas, why it doesn't like the image :(

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Sounds / Silence

Igor Stasenko
On 22 February 2012 18:59, Vincent Lesbros <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stephane & Igor
>
> the steps where :
>
> 1/ Download http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/29274/Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.zip
> 22,0 Mo (23 109 783 octets)
>
> 2/ Unzip in My C:\Tools directory.
> I get warning messages from the Windows explorer while unzipping :
>
> Comfirmez la perte de chiffrement
> Un problème empêche le chiffrement de ce dossier
> <Oui> <Ignorer> <Annuler>
>
> I click <Oui> to decompress files, if I ignore, folders are not copied.
>
> Total size (after decompressing) :
> 73,7 Mo (77 366 677 octets)
> 51 Fichiers, 9 Dossiers
>
> 3/ in C:\Tools\Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick\Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
> run Pahro.exe
> Windows warns
>
> 4/ paste "BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true" and do it, in the
> "Welcome to Pharo" window. (has indicated by Stephan).
> 5/ Open a System Browser
> 6/ Find class "AbstractSound"
> 7/ Switch browser to "Class"
> 8/ Select the bachFugue method.
> bachFugue
>        "Play a fugue by J. S. Bach using and instance of me as the sound for
> all four voices."
>        "PluckedSound bachFugue play"
>
>        ^ self bachFugueOn: self default
>
> 9/ select "PluckedSound bachFugue play"
> 10/ try "Debug it'
> 11/ Exception : an OBTextMorphSelection had the subclass
> responsibility to implement : #debugIt
> 12/ Close the exception, open a Workspace, paste "PluckedSound
> bachFugue play"  and debug it.
> 13/ The first primitive encountered seems to be <primitive:
> 'primitiveSoundStartWithSemaphore' module: 'SoundPlugin'>
> in SoundPlaye class : primSoundStartBufferSize: bufferSize rate:
> samplesPerSecond stereo: stereoFlag semaIndex: anInteger
>
> No sounds.
>

> // TEST AVEC PHARO 1.0
> 1/ Download http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26828/Pharo-1.0-OneClick.zip
> 30,1 Mo (31 606 018 octets)
>
> 2/ Unzip with windows explorer "Extraire tout..."
> Same dialog "Comfirmez la perte de chiffrement" <Oui>
> Result decompressing :
> 83,3 Mo (87 368 501 octets)
> 918 Fichiers, 255 Dossiers
>
> 3/ Run the Pharo.exe,
> 4/ Alert from Avast, I answer "Lancer normalement"
>
> 5/ Go to AbstractSound and play the Bach fugue with Karplus-Strong's
> plucked string, it Works.

Thanks for instructions. WIll try to see which VM(s) support it and
which ones doesnt.

> ---
>> DNU:
>> Now if you mean that you would love us to have 5 engineers to build our own VM! why not?
>> Tell me where I should sign.
> I would love too.
>
>> Now may be there is a problem with the 64bit support.
> Apparentty not, because Squeak 4.3 and Pharo 1.0 have sounds working.
>
>>> What waranty for futur evolutions (of one or the other system) ?
> Perhaps it his where we disagree. I don't like changes applied on
> things that are working.

AFAIK, in this case there was no intended changes to sound.
It should remain working, unless broken by something unintentionally.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Sounds / Silence

thanks!

Stef

On Feb 22, 2012, at 5:59 PM, Vincent Lesbros wrote:

> [...]
> things that are working.
>
>>> If the sound doen't work because of a "pluggin" prehaps it would be
>>> better to change that plugging.
>>
>> The problem may not be the plugin code but its compiled version.
>> Now if you want to give us a chance to fix your problem provide a list of link
>> and steps so that we can try to reproduce the problem because may be the error is coming
>> from a different setup.
> I try to do it, see upper.
> But nothing special in setup.
>

>> And yes we will brand our VM and make sure that the code works. Now we can automatically
>> build all the vm on their respective OS at each commit of code :)
>> Stef
> In the 70's we had Lisp machines, I hope we will soon have Pharo machines.
>
> As it works with 1.0, and it doesn't with 1.3, wich version sould I

Re: Sounds / Silence

Marcus Denker-4

This bug report might be related:

  Issue 5250: Clicking on sound in Setting does not anything

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> vincent
>
> which vm are you using?
> On which OS are you?
> Because on mac lion I used the cocoa blessed VM and it works that is on jenkins. Now on 64 bits I do not know.
>
> Stef
>
> On Feb 19, 2012, at 10:26 PM, Vincent Lesbros wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to Pharo,
>> I try to get a sound from the SoundPlayer.
>>
>> I use : Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.app
>>
>> I did :
>>  BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true
>>
>> I create an instance of AbstractSound, from the beep example, or an instance ofPluckedSound... whatever.
>> And, when I send the message play,
>> the primitive to play the sound fails.
>>
>> primSoundStartBufferSize: bufferSize rate: samplesPerSecond stereo: stereoFlag
>>       "Start double-buffered sound output with the given buffer size and sampling rate. This version has been superceded by primitive 171 (primSoundStartBufferSize:rate:stereo:semaIndex:)."
>>       "ar 12/5/1998 Turn off the sound if not supported"
>>       <primitive: 'primitiveSoundStart' module: 'SoundPlugin'>
>>       SoundSupported := false.
>> La primitive échoue et le flag SoundSupported est remis à false.
>>
>> My environnemt is windows 7 64bits,
>> I do have a sound card !!
>>

>> Where is the good plugin and how should I activate it ?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> VL.

Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de