Source Currently Unavailable message in Class Browser

Source Currently Unavailable message in Class Browser

Michael W. Ryder
I am using the Community Edition to see to evaluate the language and am
working through the included Tutorials.  When I try to follow the
tutorial where it says to display the source for a method the browser
displays ""Source currently unavailable" in green.  Is this because I am
using the Community Edition or is there another problem I am seeing?

Re: Source Currently Unavailable message in Class Browser

Steve Alan Waring
Hi Michael,

> Is this because I am
> using the Community Edition or is there another problem I am seeing?

I think some source code is missing in the Community Edition, but most
should be there.

If you open a browser, and select the "Animal" class (in the top left
tree) and "ask" in the method list (top-right list) ... do you see the
source?

I have just checked my Community Edition image, and the source should
be there for that method (in fact most classes/methods).

If it is not ... have you renamed or moved the ".img" file? If you
have, you also need to rename/move the corresponding ".sml" and ".chg"
files.

If that doesn't work, try generating a new fresh image which you can do
via the Windows "Start" Menu/Dolphin/Dolphin Smalltalk (Fresh Install).
Failing that, a re-install.

Steve

Steve Alan Waring wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
>> Is this because I am
>> using the Community Edition or is there another problem I am seeing?
>
> I think some source code is missing in the Community Edition, but most
> should be there.
>
> If you open a browser, and select the "Animal" class (in the top left
> tree) and "ask" in the method list (top-right list) ... do you see the
> source?
>
> I have just checked my Community Edition image, and the source should
> be there for that method (in fact most classes/methods).
>
> If it is not ... have you renamed or moved the ".img" file? If you
> have, you also need to rename/move the corresponding ".sml" and ".chg"
> files.
>
> If that doesn't work, try generating a new fresh image which you can do
> via the Windows "Start" Menu/Dolphin/Dolphin Smalltalk (Fresh Install).
> Failing that, a re-install.

My problem is that I moved and renamed the .img file.  After
uninstalling everything and reinstalling in the default location I
figured out that all I had to do was place a shortcut to the .img file
on desktop to bring everything up.   Maybe I missed all this in the
install instructions.  Thank you for your assistance.

> Steve

Re: Source Currently Unavailable message in Class Browser

Andy Bower
Michael,

> My problem is that I moved and renamed the .img file.  After
> uninstalling everything and reinstalling in the default location I
> figured out that all I had to do was place a shortcut to the .img
> file on desktop to bring everything up.   Maybe I missed all this in
> the install instructions.  Thank you for your assistance.

I've just checked the documentation and it appears that a section that
warned about keeping the IMG, SML and CHG files together as a unit has
gone missing. I guess this happpened during the upgrade of the help
files to X6. I've raised a support request #2196 and so, hopefully,
this will get fixed for the 6.03 release.

--
Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Andy Bower wrote:

> Michael,
>
>> My problem is that I moved and renamed the .img file.  After
>> uninstalling everything and reinstalling in the default location I
>> figured out that all I had to do was place a shortcut to the .img
>> file on desktop to bring everything up.   Maybe I missed all this in
>> the install instructions.  Thank you for your assistance.
>
> I've just checked the documentation and it appears that a section that
> warned about keeping the IMG, SML and CHG files together as a unit has
> gone missing. I guess this happpened during the upgrade of the help
> files to X6. I've raised a support request #2196 and so, hopefully,
> this will get fixed for the 6.03 release.

I think that what screwed me up is that it placed the image in the
\Documents and Settings\...\Dolphin Smalltalk X6 folder but created no
shortcut on the desktop.  I went to the directory where I installed
Smalltalk and created a shortcut on the desktop to dolphin.exe.  When I
went to use this shortcut it complained about not being able to find the
dolphin.img file so I renamed the image and moved it to the install
directory.  Everything worked then except for the source code display.
Unfortunately the only thing the Readme says is that it should work with
previous editions.  After reinstalling and creating the image I
discovered that I could run the program from a shortcut pointing to the
image.