Source control version and Pier

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks!

I was trying to see how to manage all my code and resources of a Pier application. There are several things I must manage:

1) My library (css, js, and so on), seaside components, ...
2) External files  ( /files )
3) Pier content (trough import/export utility)

For 1) I use Monticello.

But I don't know how to manage 2) and 3). I tough I could have a SVN project where I can put them. So, what I should do is: export and then commit SVN.

However, I would like to have all in the same control version system. Is there a way I can do 2) and 3) in MC ?

Thanks in advance,

Mariano

Re: Source control version and Pier

johnmci
For WikiServer I SVN all the source code, the image/change, and the /
files.

At release time I ensure MC is updated for my project, quit the VM,
then commit everything to SVN.
This ensure I can later export a source tree from SVN for a particular
version and have everything the same as it was when I made the version
commit point.

Although this tosses 40-50MB of image/changes into SVN, disk space is
cheap.

That said a chore I have this week is to explore import/export to have
it build a zip file of not only the PRKernel, but /files as well.
But I'm not going to expect that should take over from my SVN solution

On 20-Apr-09, at 7:32 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I was trying to see how to manage all my code and resources of a
> Pier application. There are several things I must manage:
>
> 1) My library (css, js, and so on), seaside components, ...
> 2) External files  ( /files )
> 3) Pier content (trough import/export utility)
>
> For 1) I use Monticello.
>
> But I don't know how to manage 2) and 3). I tough I could have a SVN
> project where I can put them. So, what I should do is: export and
> then commit SVN.
>
> However, I would like to have all in the same control version
> system. Is there a way I can do 2) and 3) in MC ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mariano

=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
=
=
=

Re: Source control version and Pier

keith1y
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I was trying to see how to manage all my code and resources of a Pier
> application. There are several things I must manage:
>
> 1) My library (css, js, and so on), seaside components, ...
> 2) External files  ( /files )
> 3) Pier content (trough import/export utility)
>
> For 1) I use Monticello.
>
> But I don't know how to manage 2) and 3). I tough I could have a SVN
> project where I can put them. So, what I should do is: export and then
> commit SVN.
My prefered solution is to use bazaar for 1, and 2, and for the image,
and all support files. This is because bazaar supports a lightweight
checkout for deployment.
> However, I would like to have all in the same control version system.
> Is there a way I can do 2) and 3) in MC
One reason I added files support to Monticello 1.5 was for seaside
css/js. (yes MC can handle files, check squeak-dev announcements)

Keith

John M McIntosh wrote:

> For WikiServer I SVN all the source code, the image/change, and the
> /files.
>
> At release time I ensure MC is updated for my project, quit the VM,
> then commit everything to SVN.
> This ensure I can later export a source tree from SVN for a particular
> version and have everything the same as it was when I made the version
> commit point.
>
> Although this tosses 40-50MB of image/changes into SVN, disk space is
> cheap.
>
> That said a chore I have this week is to explore import/export to have
> it build a zip file of not only the PRKernel, but /files as well.
> But I'm not going to expect that should take over from my SVN solution
>
> On 20-Apr-09, at 7:32 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Since mcz is a zip file anyway perhaps an extension to enable PRKernel
nodes to be exported into mc, in a similar manner to the existing mc1.5
file support, would be an idea worth pursuing

Keith

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I was trying to see how to manage all my code and resources of a Pier
> application. There are several things I must manage:
>
> 1) My library (css, js, and so on), seaside components, ...
> 2) External files  ( /files )
> 3) Pier content (trough import/export utility)
>
> For 1) I use Monticello.
>
> But I don't know how to manage 2) and 3). I tough I could have a SVN
> project where I can put them. So, what I should do is: export and then
> commit SVN.
My prefered solution is to use bazaar for 1, and 2, and for the image,
and all support files. This is because bazaar supports a lightweight
checkout for deployment.

Thank you very much to both of you.

It is a long time since I want to try bazar. I really hate SVN so, this is the perfect exuse for me to use bazar :)

> However, I would like to have all in the same control version system.
> Is there a way I can do 2) and 3) in MC
One reason I added files support to Monticello 1.5 was for seaside
css/js. (yes MC can handle files, check squeak-dev announcements)

Do you know which verion is in Pier 1.1.1 one click image ? and in pharo ?

Thanks a lot.

Mariano

Keith

Re: Source control version and Pier

Mariano Martinez Peck
I wanted to say bazaar not bazar haha

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I was trying to see how to manage all my code and resources of a Pier
> application. There are several things I must manage:
>
> 1) My library (css, js, and so on), seaside components, ...
> 2) External files  ( /files )
> 3) Pier content (trough import/export utility)
>
> For 1) I use Monticello.
>
> But I don't know how to manage 2) and 3). I tough I could have a SVN
> project where I can put them. So, what I should do is: export and then
> commit SVN.
My prefered solution is to use bazaar for 1, and 2, and for the image,
and all support files. This is because bazaar supports a lightweight
checkout for deployment.

Thank you very much to both of you.

It is a long time since I want to try bazar. I really hate SVN so, this is the perfect exuse for me to use bazar :)

> However, I would like to have all in the same control version system.
> Is there a way I can do 2) and 3) in MC
One reason I added files support to Monticello 1.5 was for seaside
css/js. (yes MC can handle files, check squeak-dev announcements)

Do you know which verion is in Pier 1.1.1 one click image ? and in pharo ?

Thanks a lot.

Mariano

Keith

Re: Source control version and Pier

Randal L. Schwartz

Mariano> It is a long time since I want to try bazar. I really hate SVN so, this is
Mariano> the perfect exuse for me to use bazar :)

Be sure to look at "git" as well.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano> It is a long time since I want to try bazar. I really hate SVN so, this is
Mariano> the perfect exuse for me to use bazar :)

Be sure to look at "git" as well.

Yes. It's true. There are lots of them. I also look Git once because I use Linux and Git author......and there is Mercury also.

But, the truth is that I didn't really work with any of them.

I will look at git then and try to use one of them.

Thanks for the help.

Mariano

Re: Source control version and Pier

keith1y
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Keith Hodges
>
>     Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>     > Hi folks!
>     >
>     > I was trying to see how to manage all my code and resources of a
>     Pier
>     > application. There are several things I must manage:
>     >
>     > 1) My library (css, js, and so on), seaside components, ...
>     > 2) External files  ( /files )
>     > 3) Pier content (trough import/export utility)
>     >
>     > For 1) I use Monticello.
>     >
>     > But I don't know how to manage 2) and 3). I tough I could have a SVN
>     > project where I can put them. So, what I should do is: export
>     and then
>     > commit SVN.
>     My prefered solution is to use bazaar for 1, and 2, and for the image,
>     and all support files. This is because bazaar supports a lightweight
>     checkout for deployment.
>

> Thank you very much to both of you.
>
> It is a long time since I want to try bazar. I really hate SVN so,
> this is the perfect exuse for me to use bazar :)
>

>     > However, I would like to have all in the same control version
>     system.
>     > Is there a way I can do 2) and 3) in MC
>     One reason I added files support to Monticello 1.5 was for seaside
>     css/js. (yes MC can handle files, check squeak-dev announcements)
>

> Do you know which verion is in Pier 1.1.1 one click image ? and in pharo ?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Mariano
Its not MC1.5, and I will say no more to avoid offending anyone

Keith

Re: Source control version and Pier

drush66
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
2) External files  ( /files )
3) Pier content (trough import/export utility)

But I don't know how to manage 2) and 3). I tough I could have a SVN project where I can put them. So, what I should do is: export and then commit SVN.

Interestingly, while we were discussing version control options for Dolphin on the newsgroup, many people also complained that current smalltalk version control systems miss handling of non smalltalk artifacts, like bitmaps , icons, dll's and similar stuff that eds to go hand in hand with particular release of smalltalk stuff.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Keith Hodges
>
>     Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>     > Hi folks!
>     >
>     > I was trying to see how to manage all my code and resources of a
>     Pier
>     > application. There are several things I must manage:
>     >
>     > 1) My library (css, js, and so on), seaside components, ...
>     > 2) External files  ( /files )
>     > 3) Pier content (trough import/export utility)
>     >
>     > For 1) I use Monticello.
>     >
>     > But I don't know how to manage 2) and 3). I tough I could have a SVN
>     > project where I can put them. So, what I should do is: export
>     and then
>     > commit SVN.
>     My prefered solution is to use bazaar for 1, and 2, and for the image,
>     and all support files. This is because bazaar supports a lightweight
>     checkout for deployment.
>

> Thank you very much to both of you.
>
> It is a long time since I want to try bazar. I really hate SVN so,
> this is the perfect exuse for me to use bazar :)
>

>     > However, I would like to have all in the same control version
>     system.
>     > Is there a way I can do 2) and 3) in MC
>     One reason I added files support to Monticello 1.5 was for seaside
>     css/js. (yes MC can handle files, check squeak-dev announcements)
>

> Do you know which verion is in Pier 1.1.1 one click image ? and in pharo ?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Mariano
Its not MC1.5, and I will say no more to avoid offending anyone

Ok. Thanks. Sorry for the noise.

However what I really wanted to know if there was a easy way on managing ALL of a Pier application inside squeak/pharo or if the easy way was to use an external control version system.

Thanks for the replies

Keith