Sources location and name, PharoLauncher

Sources location and name, PharoLauncher

Stephan Eggermont-3
After Peter's tweet about the automatic downloading of a vm  I decided
to try the improved PharoLauncher myself. I like the automatic
downloading of a vm. When trying it, I noticed that the sources
dependency changed to a very unusable one: each image needs its own
specific sources file.

Stephan

Re: Sources location and name, PharoLauncher

Peter Uhnak
That's not related to Pharo Launcher. Pharo 7 sources (for alpha images) are now shipped with the image, not the VM.

Peter

On 14-09-17 14:52, Peter Uhnák wrote:
> That's not related to Pharo Launcher. Pharo 7 sources (for alpha images)
> are now shipped with the image, not the VM.

That's an issue. I have hundreds of images, and definitely don't need so
many different sources.

Stephan

Re: Sources location and name, PharoLauncher

Stephane Ducasse-3
Kill some images :).
We did that for good reasons I do not remember why but this is due to
the bootstrap.
Stefan we will never be perfect day one. This is not possible for us.

Stef

On 14-09-17 20:00, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Kill some images :).
> We did that for good reasons I do not remember why but this is due to
> the bootstrap.
> Stefan we will never be perfect day one. This is not possible for us.

Don't worry. Break it to improve it. I have to change my workflow, so I
am running into lots of things.

Stephan

Re: Sources location and name, PharoLauncher

Pavel Krivanek-3

On 14-09-17 14:52, Peter Uhnák wrote:
That's not related to Pharo Launcher. Pharo 7 sources (for alpha images) are now shipped with the image, not the VM.

That's an issue. I have hundreds of images, and definitely don't need so many different sources.

You can share sources for as many images as you want as soon these images are based on the same bootstrapped image build.

-- Pavel

Stephan

Re: Sources location and name, PharoLauncher

Guillermo Polito
Actually, in latest bootstrapped images, images are shipped with sources instead of changes. So, as before you had a changes file per image, now you have a sources file per image. So there is no really an extra overhead...

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Sources location and name, PharoLauncher

Denis Kudriashov

Actually, in latest bootstrapped images, images are shipped with sources instead of changes. So, as before you had a changes file per image, now you have a sources file per image. So there is no really an extra overhead...

Cool. But changes mechanism is still in image? At what point changes are created?

And did we plan to remove old changes in Pharo 7? ( Epices is working fine now)

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 14-09-17 14:52, Peter Uhnák wrote:
That's not related to Pharo Launcher. Pharo 7 sources (for alpha images) are now shipped with the image, not the VM.

That's an issue. I have hundreds of images, and definitely don't need so many different sources.

You can share sources for as many images as you want as soon these images are based on the same bootstrapped image build.

-- Pavel

Stephan

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: <a href="tel:+33%206%2052%2070%2066%2013" value="+33652706613" target="_blank">+33 06 52 70 66 13

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Actually, in latest bootstrapped images, images are shipped with sources instead of changes. So, as before you had a changes file per image, now you have a sources file per image. So there is no really an extra overhead...

Cool. But changes mechanism is still in image? At what point changes are created?

Yes, as soon as you start coding, new code will go to the changes file as usual.

And did we plan to remove old changes in Pharo 7? ( Epices is working fine now)

Epicea is good for logs, but the changes file also stores versions and source code. As soon as we don't have a new solution to store method's source code, the changes file will be there.

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Sources location and name, PharoLauncher

Pavel Krivanek-3

Actually, in latest bootstrapped images, images are shipped with sources instead of changes. So, as before you had a changes file per image, now you have a sources file per image. So there is no really an extra overhead...

Cool. But changes mechanism is still in image? At what point changes are created?

And did we plan to remove old changes in Pharo 7? ( Epices is working fine now)

when the image is is bootstrapped, it does have no sources nor changes file. But as soon as you start to load packages into it using compiler, all loaded sources are placed in the changes file.
When everything is loaded, we condense changes to the sources file so you have all sources in the changes file and empty sources ready for changes done by the image user.

-- Pavel

[...]

Ah, right. I should know it :)