Sources location inconsistency between WIndows and OSX

Sources location inconsistency between WIndows and OSX

Aliaksei Syrel
Hi,

I just realised that on OSX it is enough to put .sources in the same folder with Pharo.app which is extremely cool because there is no need to carry them around with images.

However, in case of Window it is different. I tried to put .source in the same folder with Pharo.exe but got a notification that sources in the *image* folder were not found.

It would be great to unify this behaviour among platforms :)
I prefer OSX .sources location strategy.

Cheers,
Alex

Re: Sources location inconsistency between WIndows and OSX

Henrik-Nergaard

Are you sure you have the correct version of .sources?.

It has allways been possible to have the .sources at the .exe (I have allways done it that way), (are you sure that the right vm is started, clicking on an image might launch a different vm if you have multiple).

What is the output of `OSPlatform current potentialLocationsOfSourcesFile` ?

To debug:

Change PharoFilesOpener>>#ignoreIfFail: no not send ifError: []. and the do `SourceFiles ensureOpen`

Best regards,

Henrik

Cheers,
Alex

Re: Sources location inconsistency between WIndows and OSX

Aliaksei Syrel
Hi Henrik,

Here is what `OSPlatform current potentialLocationsOfSourcesFile`  gives me:

Inline images 2

Are you sure you have the correct version of .sources?
 Yes, I use v60 sources with 60503 Pharo and stable VM. If I put sources in the image folder it works... Very strange.

Cheers,
Alex

On 28 June 2017 at 19:59, Henrik Nergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you sure you have the correct version of .sources?.
>
> It has allways been possible to have the .sources at the .exe (I have allways done it that way), (are you sure that the right vm is started, clicking on an image might launch a different vm if you have multiple).
>

> What is the output of `OSPlatform current potentialLocationsOfSourcesFile` ?
>

> To debug:
>
> Change PharoFilesOpener>>#ignoreIfFail: no not send ifError: []. and the do `SourceFiles ensureOpen`
>

> Best regards,
>
> Henrik
>

> ________________________________

Aha! I found the problem... very strange.
So, there is a difference:

If I run Pharo.exe from Coherence mode in Parallels then VM directory is given relative to \Mac and sources can not be found:

 Inline images 1

If I run Pharo.exe from "Virtual machine" mode in Parallels then VM directory is correct and source work from VM folder:
Inline images 2

I think it is an interesting discovery :)

Cheers,
Alex

On 28 June 2017 at 20:20, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Henrik,

Here is what `OSPlatform current potentialLocationsOfSourcesFile`  gives me:

Inline images 2

Are you sure you have the correct version of .sources?
 Yes, I use v60 sources with 60503 Pharo and stable VM. If I put sources in the image folder it works... Very strange.

Cheers,
Alex

On 28 June 2017 at 19:59, Henrik Nergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you sure you have the correct version of .sources?.
>
> It has allways been possible to have the .sources at the .exe (I have allways done it that way), (are you sure that the right vm is started, clicking on an image might launch a different vm if you have multiple).
>

> What is the output of `OSPlatform current potentialLocationsOfSourcesFile` ?
>

> To debug:
>
> Change PharoFilesOpener>>#ignoreIfFail: no not send ifError: []. and the do `SourceFiles ensureOpen`
>

> Best regards,
>
> Henrik

Ben Coman

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 1:10 AM, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I just realised that on OSX it is enough to put .sources in the same folder with Pharo.app which is extremely cool because there is no need to carry them around with images.

IIUC this won't work with Pharo 7, since a new sources file will be delivered with each new build.
cheers -ben