Sparing Scrollbars in 7.10.1

Ulli Wenk
In former 7.x-versions of VisualWorks there was (in the "preview" directory of the CD) this package. In version 7.10 it is vanished.

I think that the sparing scrollbars behavior (that you only see scrollbars if you need it) is state of the art in modern GUIs, not an unnecessary feature for freaks.
I don't know how it is solved in VW8.1...

Has anybody an idea how to change the former version to make it run in 7.10.1? If one loads it normally as parcel or step by step from the source file or from the store db, the image is running into an infinite loop (cause someone DNU something and want to open the debugger which seem to DNU something, too, and wants to open a debugger...).

Or can you give me some hints how to solve this problem in another way?

Our customers are annoyed about the old look of our "new" version of our application.

Regards, Ulli

Re: Sparing Scrollbars in 7.10.1 and 8.0.1

Ulli Wenk
Hi all,

I had a short look at VW 8.0.1. There is no way to automatically hide unnecessary scrollbars, too.

6/25/2015 12:10 Ulli Wenk wrote:
Or can you give me some hints how to solve this problem in another way?
Would it be so hard to re-implement this parcel in 7.10.1 and 8.01?
Our customers are annoyed about the old look of our "new" version of our application.

Regards Ulli

Re: Sparing Scrollbars in 7.10.1 and 8.0.1

Steven Kelly
Sounds like a good request for standard behaviour, in 8.x.
By the way, which VW version were you using where they still worked well?

All the best,
Steve

Re: Sparing Scrollbars in 7.10.1 and 8.0.1

Ulli Wenk
Hello Steve,
thank you for your awaked interest.

06/30/2015 17:23 Steven Kelly wrote:
Sounds like a good request for standard behaviour, in 8.x.
Yes, I think so, too. The unnecessary scrollbars a really ugly. Furthermore, often one cannot see the whole text in a form because the bars involve an extra text line which is scrolled off and unnecessary, too. That is very annoying for our customers (doctors and nurses in hospitals and care homes).
By the way, which VW version were you using where they still worked well?
In VW 7.7.1.

Regards, Ulli

All the best,
Steve

Re: Sparing Scrollbars in 7.10.1 and 8.0.1

Steven Kelly

Attached is a rough cut that gets SparingScrollbars working in 7.10.1: just load into visual.im and try out the Sparing Scrollbar Samples. (Sorry, had to 7-zip it to avoid the rather low attachment size limit.)

The problem was that BorderDecorator used to have an instance variable ‘widgetFlags’, which contained the information about whether scrollbars, borders etc. were on. Between 7.7.1 and 7.10.1 that bitmask variable has been replaced with individual instance variables hasVerticalScrollbar etc. The 7.7.1 SparingScrollbars thus looks at widgetFlags, which is now undeclared and hence nil in 7.10.1, and VW blows up trying to send that nil #bitAnd: or similar.

I’ve added a preLoadBlock to the parcel that sets widgetFlags as Undeclared with value 0, so we don’t get errors during loading.

I’ve added widgetFlags as an instanceVariable in BorderDecorator, given it a setter and getter (with lazy initialization to 0, again to avoid problems when loading), and changed all the methods that accessed widgetFlags directly to use the getter/setter for the part that pertains to sparing scrollbars, and the 7.10.1 instance variables for the parts that pertain to non-sparing scrollbars. (Some of that non-sparing information also makes its way into widgetFlags, but we only use the bits for 64 and 128.)

Obviously this could (and should) be refactored so BorderDecorator has two new instance variables for sparingness on the scrollbars, and widgetFlags could then be deleted. But hopefully Ulli can carry on from here :). Maybe the results could be published in the public store?

Or maybe Cincom could finish this work? The package comment does say that this functionality will be integrated in the base…

All the best,

Steve

SparingScrollbars(7.10.1).7z (29K) Download Attachment

Re: Sparing Scrollbars in 7.10.1 and 8.0.1

Ulli Wenk
Hi Steven,

good job! Thank you again for the solution. As far as I have tested, I think it works fine in VW7.10.1 and VW8.0.1 (here i simply modified SettingsManager>windowSpec after loading the parcel).

Best regards, Ulli

July 1, 2015 17:19 Steven Kelly wrote:

[...]

Am 29.07.2015 um 14:23 schrieb Steven Kelly:
Feel free to publish your stuff, e.g. as (8.0.1) - 3. (Shame there isn’t a better mechanism to maintain version numbers in parallel for several VW versions.)
Done! (It's almost the same as in 7.10.1).

Regards, Ulli