Sparse Matrix in Moose/Pharo

Alberto Bacchelli
Hi all,

 Is there any library for _seriously_ handling/storing sparse matrices
in Pharo/Moose?

I was thinking about something like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_matrix#Yale_format

Thanks.

 Alberto

Re: Sparse Matrix in Moose/Pharo

Tudor Girba-2
I am not aware of it, but it would be a great addition. We had one in VW, but I think you know that one already.

Doru

On 25 Aug 2011, at 11:20, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there any library for _seriously_ handling/storing sparse matrices
> in Pharo/Moose?
>

> I was thinking about something like
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_matrix#Yale_format
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alberto

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: Sparse Matrix in Moose/Pharo

Alberto Bacchelli
I am trying the one in Hapax (e.g., SparseRowMatrix) but it doesn't look so sparse to me…
Maybe I am doing something wrong.

In any case, at least the data structure for the Yale format shouldn't be too hard to write.
I'll keep you posted about it.

On Aug 25, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> I am not aware of it, but it would be a great addition. We had one in VW, but I think you know that one already.
>
> Doru
>

> On 25 Aug 2011, at 11:20, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there any library for _seriously_ handling/storing sparse matrices
>> in Pharo/Moose?
>>

>> I was thinking about something like
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_matrix#Yale_format
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Alberto

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: Sparse Matrix in Moose/Pharo

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks. It would be great.

This could also be used for SmallDude.

Doru

On 25 Aug 2011, at 11:34, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:

> I am trying the one in Hapax (e.g., SparseRowMatrix) but it doesn't look so sparse to me…
> Maybe I am doing something wrong.
>
> In any case, at least the data structure for the Yale format shouldn't be too hard to write.
> I'll keep you posted about it.
>
> On Aug 25, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> I am not aware of it, but it would be a great addition. We had one in VW, but I think you know that one already.
>>
>> Doru
>>

>> On 25 Aug 2011, at 11:20, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there any library for _seriously_ handling/storing sparse matrices
>>> in Pharo/Moose?
>>>

>>> I was thinking about something like
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_matrix#Yale_format
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Alberto
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Re: Sparse Matrix in Moose/Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
+ 1

On Aug 25, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Thanks. It would be great.
>
> This could also be used for SmallDude.
>
> Doru
>

> On 25 Aug 2011, at 11:34, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:
>
>> I am trying the one in Hapax (e.g., SparseRowMatrix) but it doesn't look so sparse to me…
>> Maybe I am doing something wrong.
>>
>> In any case, at least the data structure for the Yale format shouldn't be too hard to write.
>> I'll keep you posted about it.
>>
>> On Aug 25, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> I am not aware of it, but it would be a great addition. We had one in VW, but I think you know that one already.
>>>
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Re: Sparse Matrix in Moose/Pharo

abergel
+ 1

But I suspect Mondrian to not be efficient on rendering it. I am currently working on a new rendering engine, and having such large matrixes are one of my primary case studies.

Alexandre

On 25 Aug 2011, at 11:09, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> + 1
>
> On Aug 25, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Thanks. It would be great.
>>
>> This could also be used for SmallDude.
>>
>> Doru
>>

>> On 25 Aug 2011, at 11:34, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying the one in Hapax (e.g., SparseRowMatrix) but it doesn't look so sparse to me…
>>> Maybe I am doing something wrong.
>>>
>>> In any case, at least the data structure for the Yale format shouldn't be too hard to write.
>>> I'll keep you posted about it.

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Sparse Matrix in Moose/Pharo

simondenier

On 25 août 2011, at 11:34, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:

> I am trying the one in Hapax (e.g., SparseRowMatrix) but it doesn't look so sparse to me…
> Maybe I am doing something wrong.

It's a direct port from the one in VW, so I guess there have been some changes due to different collection classes and implementation details. But I am not knowledgeable enough in VW and sparse matrix to tell what.

> In any case, at least the data structure for the Yale format shouldn't be too hard to write.
> I'll keep you posted about it.
>
> On Aug 25, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> I am not aware of it, but it would be a great addition. We had one in VW, but I think you know that one already.
>>
>> Doru
>>

>> On 25 Aug 2011, at 11:20, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there any library for _seriously_ handling/storing sparse matrices
>>> in Pharo/Moose?
>>>

>>> I was thinking about something like
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_matrix#Yale_format
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Alberto
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Simon Denier