Speaking of Oracle limits

Bill Schwab-2
... I've reached mine :)

The most noteworthy problem that I'm not getting very good error messages.
I'm mentioning it mostly because it could be Dolphin's fault, and I might be
able to help track it down.  For example, it's typical to learn that a field
name is invalid, but right about where the field name would appear, there's
a non-printable character, and then nothing.  Maybe the error messages
contain CRs that confuse DBError???  Could it be a buffer size problem?

The problem that I'm trying to solve is on the edge between being a
scripting problem vs. a SQL problem, and since Oracle is being a pain, I'm
losing interest in solving it by SQL.  However, if all goes well, I should
have a failure case or two available after the code is working.  Any
suggestions for how to debug the error messages?  Of course, it's possible
that Oracle is simply giving out incomplete error messages.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Speaking of Oracle limits

Christopher J. Demers
"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:bj8i87$geq86$[hidden email]...
> ... I've reached mine :)
>
> The most noteworthy problem that I'm not getting very good error messages.
> I'm mentioning it mostly because it could be Dolphin's fault, and I might
be
> able to help track it down.  For example, it's typical to learn that a
field
> name is invalid, but right about where the field name would appear,
there's
> a non-printable character, and then nothing.  Maybe the error messages
> contain CRs that confuse DBError???  Could it be a buffer size problem?

This is the error message I get from Oracle when I have an invalid field
name:
 'S0022: [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-00904: invalid column name
' 'S0022: [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-00904: invalid column name
'

There is a line feed character on the end and in the middle.  The error
message seems to repeat it self.  I am using the latest Oracle 9 drivers.

This is the best ADO does:
'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers': '[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-00904:
invalid column name'

So I guess which column name is actually bad is a secret.  I found that
annoying too.

If I run the same query in SQLPLUS it tells me "ORA-00904: invalid column
name" and displays the query with an * under the bad field.  This may just
mean that the Oracle ODBC error messages are really bad.  I guess the best
thing to do is to copy your problem query to Sqlplus and use that to find
the error.  That is what I had a to do a few times.

I expected more from Oracle as it is a big name in database server sector.
I have found it rather unpleasant to deal with in many ways.

Chris

Re: Speaking of Oracle limits

Ronald Hallam
Bill,
     Have you got the Oracle ODBC tester,  which usaully comes with the
Oracle client.
    I have found that it will give you different results than when using
Oracle itself.  One example is taht SQL Server gives an error when import
data from an Oracle DB, usually an incorrect date, which Oracle itself will
not give.  When the data is looked at through the ODBC Tester the year part
of the date is give as 3, which SQL Server cannot convert.

    Ron

Bill Schwab wrote in message ...
>... I've reached mine :)
>
>The most noteworthy problem that I'm not getting very good error messages.
>I'm mentioning it mostly because it could be Dolphin's fault, and I might
be
>able to help track it down.  For example, it's typical to learn that a
field

>name is invalid, but right about where the field name would appear, there's
>a non-printable character, and then nothing.  Maybe the error messages
>contain CRs that confuse DBError???  Could it be a buffer size problem?
>
>The problem that I'm trying to solve is on the edge between being a
>scripting problem vs. a SQL problem, and since Oracle is being a pain, I'm
>losing interest in solving it by SQL.  However, if all goes well, I should
>have a failure case or two available after the code is working.  Any
>suggestions for how to debug the error messages?  Of course, it's possible
>that Oracle is simply giving out incomplete error messages.
>
>Have a good one,
>
>Bill
>
>--
>Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
>[hidden email]

Re: Speaking of Oracle limits

Bill Schwab-2
Ron,

>      Have you got the Oracle ODBC tester,  which usaully comes with the
> Oracle client.
>     I have found that it will give you different results than when using
> Oracle itself.  One example is taht SQL Server gives an error when import
> data from an Oracle DB, usually an incorrect date, which Oracle itself
will
> not give.  When the data is looked at through the ODBC Tester the year
part
> of the date is give as 3, which SQL Server cannot convert.

I have no control over the database itself - is there still something I can
do?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Speaking of Oracle limits

Bill Schwab-2
Chris,

> So I guess which column name is actually bad is a secret.  I found that
> annoying too.
>
> If I run the same query in SQLPLUS it tells me "ORA-00904: invalid column
> name" and displays the query with an * under the bad field.  This may just
> mean that the Oracle ODBC error messages are really bad.  I guess the best
> thing to do is to copy your problem query to Sqlplus and use that to find
> the error.  That is what I had a to do a few times.

I got it working "the hard way" and will probably just leave it alone for
now, but I'll keep sqlplus in mind for any future problems.

> I expected more from Oracle as it is a big name in database server sector.
> I have found it rather unpleasant to deal with in many ways.

Glossy ads - I'm beginning to tire of them :(

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.