Spec: InputWidget question

Brad Selfridge
I've been trying for several days to get the Spec InputWidget to work as expected. I've been running the "example2" example.  If you enter text in the input field and press the "enter" key, then the input text is returned. But, if you click the "Ok" button rather than "enter" key, then the input text field is empty. I've tried to dig into why, but I stymied.

Can someone please help me with this?
Brad Selfridge

Re: Spec: InputWidget question

Nicolai Hess-3-2

I've been trying for several days to get the Spec InputWidget to work as
expected. I've been running the "example2" example.  If you enter text in
the input field and press the "enter" key, then the input text is returned.
But, if you click the "Ok" button rather than "enter" key, then the input
text field is empty. I've tried to dig into why, but I stymied.

Can someone please help me with this?

Hi Brad,

what pharo version ?
For me, the example does not work at all (Pharo 5 and Pharo 6).
Pressing OK, or pressing the Enter-Key shows a DNU
"MessageNotUnderstood: PluggableTextFieldMorph>>acceptContents"

-----
Brad Selfridge

Re: Spec: InputWidget question

jfabry
Hi Brad,

the magic of the OK and Cancel buttons is due to the opening of the UI with openDialogWithSpec (instead of openWithSpec).

There is info on that in the Spec documentation, in the ‘Managing Windows’ chapter (which I finished last week :-) ). You can find a pdf of that chapter here: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/BuildingUIWithSpec/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/ManagingWindow/ManagingWindow.pdf

HTH
--
Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

> On Sep 6, 2016, at 18:14, Brad Selfridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been trying for several days to get the Spec InputWidget to work as
> expected. I've been running the "example2" example.  If you enter text in
> the input field and press the "enter" key, then the input text is returned.
> But, if you click the "Ok" button rather than "enter" key, then the input
> text field is empty. I've tried to dig into why, but I stymied.
>
> Can someone please help me with this?
>

> -----
> Brad Selfridge

Re: Spec: InputWidget question

Brad Selfridge
Read the chapter. Being new to Spec, I'm still confused because I don't see clear evidence in the chapter that would fix the problems that are occurring in the InputWidget.

I did, however, read your documentation referring to the TextFieldInputModel example. After reading that, I created a TextPrompterWidget, (which is a direct copy of InputWidget). I changed the super class to DynamicComposableModel. I modified the "initializeWidgets" method, removed the "OK" method, and made a few other small modifications and got the widget to work as expected. I DID have to open the widget with "openDialogWithSpec" as that was the only way to auto-magically get the OK-Cancel toolbar widget. I'd share my code if you want.
Brad Selfridge

Re: Spec: InputWidget question

jfabry
Apologies for not being clear in my mail. The key is that the UI is being opened as a dialog box, generating the OK and Cancel buttons. All this logic is explained in the section "Opening a dialog box and its configuration options”. This also talks about configuring what to do when these buttons are clicked.