Specifying library dependencies in UFFI

12

Re: Specifying library dependencies in UFFI

Pierce Ng-3
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:31:45AM +0100, Raffaello Giulietti wrote:
> Suppose my code directly accesses "my.dll" which, in turn, depends
> on "her.dll" which my code does not need directly and suppose that
> library is located in folder "<path-to-her-folder>". How can I
> enforce the UFFI to perform the search there?

On Linux, I use a shell script "gopharo" to run the VM:

  #!/bin/sh
  PHAROVMPATH=$(dirname `readlink -f "$0"`)
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PHAROVMPATH" exec "$PHAROVMPATH/pharo" $@

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is customizable. In my case, I place 3rd party files like
libsqlite.so, libunqlite.so together with the standard VM files.

Pierce

Re: Specifying library dependencies in UFFI

philippeback
It is true that you can kill an image or two doing this.

A reason why I added this little thing https://github.com/Pharophile/HOImageSaver and use it quite often.

I also got a debug and assert VM to build for Windows, so I have the full symbols table available.

Running Pharo and, say CodeBlocks IDE side by side, and connecting GDB in CodeBlocks through attach to process using the Pharo PID works pretty well to figure out what is going on.

I am also using Snagit a lot to capture screenshots with values etc for future reference.

Using a remote Pharo image from another image that will stay untouched may be a better way to go in the future but will not really work if one has a breakpoint triggered in the remote one anyway,..

But I found the process of wrapping a  library pretty much painless compared to the sea of wrapping code one gets from Swig for example.

Once we will have wrapped a couple external libraries with UFFI I expect some patterns to emerge and our ability to wrap things to be enhanced drastically, to the point that we will see incredible growth in terms of capabilities.

We will then really up our game on how to load code from a central repo, a la npmjs, or mavencentral, or gems, or pip. Because it sucks big time in a couple of occasions.

With any tech, there is always this hype cycle with the disullusionment after the "peak of excitement" and that is needed to reach the productivity.

I would urge all Pharo users to keep pushing and not let go of the vision, because there is really nothing like Pharo around.

I just got remembered of how good it was yesterday: a given job stopped processing its input because the underlying format of the file changed under its feet. It was a matter of 30 minutes between diagnostic and fix, and I was able to deliver the output for a critical meeting by the client. There is zero way I would have been able to inspect, diagnose, and fix that fast with something else.

Using Pharo makes someone a kind of maverick but the vista is quite good.

Phil

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
My point was that anything you do in Pharo will lower performance quite a bit, but it wont be noticable anyway unless its in a big loop or something.

Second that Pharo cannot debug such issues which is a huge deal when you work with OS stuff and OS calls.

You are far better doing this outside UFFI and straight inside a C IDE because you will have an army of tools that will make your life a ton easier.

Hence why I talked about performance, C coding and Pharo crashes.

In my case I had to write and test the code in C to port it to UFFI because it was impossible to resolve the bugs from inside Pharo. Also crashing Pharo all the time got really annoying and I managed to corrupt a couple of images too in the process.

Of course debugging C code from a C IDE is quite similar to how you work with Pharo.

I also got an experience with loading libraries because I worked with Shared memory mapped files which is the technology OS uses to load DLLs. Its really low level stuff that come directly from OS kernel. It was a ton of fun.

Also C is easier because obviously there is a ton of docs and all you have to do is copy paste. In case of UFFI you have to first figure out the C code and then how to convert it to UFFI so its double the effort for little gain. Its much better thing to just wrap C code and minimize the usage of UFFI.

The benefits of Pharo are lost anyway as soon as you drop so low level.

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 3:05 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Indeed, experimenting using some combination of AddDllDirectory(),
SetDllDirectory() and LoadLibraryEx() was in my plan for next week.

Thanks

On 16/03/17 11:59, Mark Bestley wrote:
> [...]
>>>     to do the call of SetDllDirectory() or whatever is needed on
>>>     Windows for me or to use other mechanisms on other platforms.
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>> Do you mean you link OTHER.DLL to YOUR.DLL at compile time?
>>>     >>>>>> But still, YOUR.DLL it not loaded until called via Pharo
>>>     FFI, so neither
>>>     >>>>>> is OTHER.DLL,
>>>     >>>>>> and Dynamic-Link Library Search Order [1] says... "If a DLL
>>>     with the
>>>     >>>>>> same module name
>>>     >>>>>> is already loaded in memory, the system uses the loaded
>>>     DLL, no matter
>>>     >>>>>> which directory it is in.
>>>     >>>>>> The system does not search for the DLL."
>>>     >>>>>>
>>>     >>>>>> So maybe before calling any of YOUR.DLL,
>>>     >>>>>> do a SetDllDirectory followed by a LoadLibrary(OTHER.DLL)
>>>     >>>>>> and later when you call into YOUR.DLL,
>>>     >>>>>> OTHER.DLL is already loaded.
>>>     >>>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>> Yes, this might work but is rather contrived.
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>> Otherwise it would seems(?) your options are either Manifests
>>>     >>>>>> or Dynamic-Link Library Redirection, both done outside of
>>>     Pharo.
>>>     >>>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>> What if neither YOUR.DLL nor OTHER.DLL are under my control?
>>>     The only thing I know is where the .dll and the corresponding .lib
>>>     + .h are.
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>> Thanks for your interest
>>>     >>>>> Raffaello
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>>  But I'll try whether SetDllDirectory also affects
>>>     load-time searches.
>>>     >>>>>>
>>>     >>>>>>  Anyway, I hope future versions of the UFFI to offer
>>>     setting the
>>>     >>>>>>  search paths more easily.
>>>     >>>>>>
>>>     >>>>>>
>>>     >>>>>>
>>>     >>>>>>  Greetings
>>>     >>>>>>  Raffaello
>>>     >>>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>>
>>>     >>>>
>>>     >>>>
>>>     >>>
>>>     >>>
>>>     >>
>>>     >>
>>>     >
>>>     >

Re: Specifying library dependencies in UFFI

raffaello.giulietti
Hi Pierce,

sure, this works on any Unix-like system.

On 17/03/17 03:37, Pierce Ng wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:31:45AM +0100, Raffaello Giulietti wrote:
>> Suppose my code directly accesses "my.dll" which, in turn, depends
>> on "her.dll" which my code does not need directly and suppose that
>> library is located in folder "<path-to-her-folder>". How can I
>> enforce the UFFI to perform the search there?
>

> On Linux, I use a shell script "gopharo" to run the VM:
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>   PHAROVMPATH=$(dirname `readlink -f "$0"`)
>   LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PHAROVMPATH" exec "$PHAROVMPATH/pharo" $@
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is customizable. In my case, I place 3rd party files like
> libsqlite.so, libunqlite.so together with the standard VM files.
>
> Pierce

Recreating Live Coding experience in C++ and Python [ was: Re: Specifying library dependencies in UFFI]

kilon.alios

With any tech, there is always this hype cycle with the disullusionment after the "peak of excitement" and that is needed to reach the productivity.

I would urge all Pharo users to keep pushing and not let go of the vision, because there is really nothing like Pharo around.

The one things I love about Pharo is Live Coding. The ability to change the code while it executes without all this recompile-restart nonsense.

I also was under the assumption you were when it came to live coding that none is doing better than Smalltalk and Lisp. So just for fun I went on to experiment how easy it would be to re implement live coding in C++ and Python. I was not expecting much if anything.

With Python it was super easy, I only need a main loop, wrap the loop inside an exception that in case of an error would catch the error , not stop the execution but rather using the import tools that come with Python will import the module. Worked like a charm.

I use this to develop a blender addon.

But the really shock was how easy it was to do this with C++. I thought that memory leaks would make live coding with C++ impossible , I was dead wrong. Apparently OS exceptions can capture even crashes, they wont allow the executable to crash. Instead of python modules I use DLLs on windows , .dylibs on MacOS and .so on Ubuntu. Executable is a tiny loop reloading the dlls and providing to them a pointer to a very large array that contains the entire memory of the app, DLLs handle the memory to share it between objects etc.

https://github.com/kilon/LiveCPP

Next step is integrating iPython and also python debugger and testing unit testing with live coding.

So yes definetly learn Pharo because it has many hidden gems , if you are newcomer. But if you miss Pharo , like me, when you code in other language, despair not, its very easy to recreate at least live coding.

Re: Recreating Live Coding experience in C++ and Python [ was: Re: Specifying library dependencies in UFFI]

CodeDmitry
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Specifying library dependencies in UFFI

bestlem
Not that well on macOS.

Yes it works but you want to launch Pharo from thr Dock and not via the
command line.

But yes put the DLLs in with the VM files should work in all main OSs

Mark

--
Mark

Re: Recreating Live Coding experience in C++ and Python [ was: Re: Specifying library dependencies in UFFI]

kilon.alios
Python is my No2 does not have to be yours, obviously. I prefer it because of its minimalistic ideology and huge third party library ecosystem that makes it dead easy to code in. But in the end I use it because that's what Blender uses for scripting.

Of course Pharo remains my No1 ;)

I hate web development for the usual reasons hence I try to stay as far away from it as possible. Pearl syntax looks too ugly to me.

I also use C++ because that's what Unreal uses. My post was not an advertisement for those two languages , just to mention that live coding is possible. I actually hate C++. But it's a necessary evil in my case.

On the subject of C macros , there is scons which is a Python library and I suspect there are a ton more out there. Blender which is more than one million lines of C code used it but I think now the rely more on CMake.You could probably build one in Pharo too easily for personal usage. I do not rely on C macros or scons because Unreal has its own build system which handles many common issues with the compiler for me.

There is a ton of technology for any kind of problem, just a google away.
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 at 12:37, Dima Makhnin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Why all the hype about python? why not more flexible languages like JavaScript ES6, or Perl5 that are capable of preserving string to object literal isomorphism out of the box?

Of course Dynamic Languages are fine for this, that's essentially what Objective C is; C + FakeTalk.

I dream of a future where we can throw out the silly C processor macros and replace them with a real script engine; eg write c in a php file and have it generate code at preprocessor time, and if you need help at runtime, load the php runtime, and interact with it.

This can be done in any language, For SmallTalk it's something like objective c but objective c is halfway there, it didn't replace c preprocessor with inline smalltalk.

But yeah, hopefully we see more elegant compiletime-runtime interop in the future.

On Mar 17, 2017 6:21 AM, "Dimitris Chloupis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

stepharong
Tx phil for these cool words.

We are pushing and we need inputs too because from time to time I have the impression that we
are focusing a bit too much on our own system but this is natural :)

Stef

12