Speech.sar is missing

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

I tried to load the Speech package from SqueakMap into a current Trunk image, but the installation fails because the Speech-Phonetics category seems to be missing in the SAR package. Would it be possible to update the SAR with this package or is the dependency structure more complicated than I am assuming?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Speech.sar is missing

David T. Lewis
Hi Christoph,

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 03:54:50PM +0000, Thiede, Christoph wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I tried to load the Speech package from SqueakMap into a current Trunk
> image, but the installation fails because the Speech-Phonetics category
> seems to be missing in the SAR package. Would it be possible to update
> the SAR with this package or is the dependency structure more complicated
> than I am assuming?

I don't know if this helps, but you can download a copy of the SAR file:

  $ wget http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/651/Speech.sar

The file will be in zip format, so you can unzip it to work with the Smalltalk
files directly.

The Speech package was included in early Squeak images, so you may want
to try running some old images from files.squeak.org on SqueakJS
(http://try.squeak.org) to find out how it originally worked.

IIRC it requires the Klatt plugin to do sound generation. That plugin
is not included in any of our current VMs, and it was probably never
updated to run on 64-bit systems, so it may be a challenge to get
Speech running on current Trunk.

Dave

Re: Speech.sar is missing

Stéphane Rollandin
Speech is included in muO. You can fetch a ready-to-go image there:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm

Re: Speech.sar is missing

Christoph Thiede
Hi all!

> I don't know if this helps, but you can download a copy of the SAR file:
>
>   $ wget http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/651/Speech.sar
>
> The file will be in zip format, so you can unzip it to work with the Smalltalk files directly.

Sorry, that was exactly the SAR file I was referring to. But it does not includes Phonetics and thus TTS does not run.

So if Stef could get it working under Squeak 5.x, TTS does not require the Klatt plugin, does it?

If this is not a problem, would it be possible that someone (probably me) recreates the SAR to include Phonetics?

Best,
Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Speech.sar is missing

Stéphane Rollandin
> Sorry, that was exactly the SAR file I was referring to. But it does not includes Phonetics and thus TTS does not run.
>
> So if Stef could get it working under Squeak 5.x, TTS does not require the Klatt plugin, does it?

Indeed, TTS works fine in muO:

        Speaker breathy say: 'This is my breathy voice.'

I have no idea what the Klatt plugin does...

Stef