Speeding up Pharo 1.1

123

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Igor Stasenko
On 17 October 2010 21:45, Henrik Sperre Johansen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote:
>>

>> Btw why doesn't the windows VM signal the semaphore?
>>

>> Levente
>>

> http://forum.world.st/InputSemaphore-on-Windows-td1934394.html#a2014576
>
> Basically, there may or may not be some issue with them not being noticed in
> the image, it hasn't been a priority since the Squeak image doesn't depend
> on it, and no-one have set aside the time to fix it.
> Not very hard really, just time-consuming and tedious checking you've hit
> all the points it has to be signalled.

I don't think that this is the problem with image being sluggy.
It would feel sluggy from very beginning, not after you load a lots of
stuff into image, isnt?

> Cheers,
> Henry

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Henrik Sperre Johansen
  On 17.10.2010 20:49, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 17 October 2010 21:45, Henrik Sperre Johansen
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote:
>>>
>>> Btw why doesn't the windows VM signal the semaphore?
>>>

>>> Levente
>>>

>> http://forum.world.st/InputSemaphore-on-Windows-td1934394.html#a2014576
>>
>> Basically, there may or may not be some issue with them not being noticed in
>> the image, it hasn't been a priority since the Squeak image doesn't depend
>> on it, and no-one have set aside the time to fix it.
>> Not very hard really, just time-consuming and tedious checking you've hit
>> all the points it has to be signalled.
>>
> I don't think that this is the problem with image being sluggy.
> It would feel sluggy from very beginning, not after you load a lots of
> stuff into image, isnt?

Yup, this was mainly to answer why Pharo doesn't use the InputSemaphore,
a short detour which hopefully ends here.
I don't have an image which has been running for 7 hours (non-core at
least), and haven't experienced the slowdown reported myself, so didn't
feel qualified to comment on that matter.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Igor Stasenko
Bart,
can you try doing:

MCMethodDefinition shutDown

in your image?

On 16 October 2010 14:48, Bart Veenstra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have been working with Pharo for almost a month now, and I suspect
> that the performance is degrading fast. UI tasks takes several seconds
> to react to my keyboard.
>
> At work we use VAST and I have experience with VW as well and those
> smalltaks react to my keyboard and mouse actions instantly. But Pharo
> works very sluggish.
>
> My image is about 130MB because I have loaded all dutch postcode in
> memory, but that should not affect the performance of general
> operations like typing with the keyboard. I am not a fast typer, but
> sometimes it takes seconds to show my keyboard input. I can't use the
> down key to select the right method from suggestions, because it seems
> to lockup completely.
>
> Are there ways to speedup Pharo? I would love to use cogVM but I
> haven't got gemtools working on it...
>
> Will upgrading to 1.1.1 fix these issues?
>
> Is my OS (Windows 7-64bit) causing these issues?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bart

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote:
>>

>> Btw why doesn't the windows VM signal the semaphore?
>>

>> Levente
>>

> http://forum.world.st/InputSemaphore-on-Windows-td1934394.html#a2014576
>
> Basically, there may or may not be some issue with them not being noticed in
> the image, it hasn't been a priority since the Squeak image doesn't depend
> on it, and no-one have set aside the time to fix it.
> Not very hard really, just time-consuming and tedious checking you've hit
> all the points it has to be signalled.

So someone has to do it and it will work. :) Waiting for the signal with
a timeout can also tell if there's code in the vm that doesn't signal the
semaphore. If the waiting ends because of the timeout, but there are new
events available, then we can be pretty sure there's more VM code to be
fixed.

Levente

> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Bart Veenstra
After MCMethodDefinition shutDown it looks like it is reacting a bit
faster to keyboard input. I often experience sluggishness in
autocompletion method. When I type in a name of a class in a
workspace, the autocomplete suggests 3 options. I want to choose the
middle, so I press down and after 3 seconds (or sometimes nothging
happens) it selects the class. The longer I have my image open, the
longer this will take :S

2010/10/17 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> Bart,
> can you try doing:
>
> MCMethodDefinition shutDown
>
> in your image?
>
> On 16 October 2010 14:48, Bart Veenstra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have been working with Pharo for almost a month now, and I suspect
>> that the performance is degrading fast. UI tasks takes several seconds
>> to react to my keyboard.
>>
>> At work we use VAST and I have experience with VW as well and those
>> smalltaks react to my keyboard and mouse actions instantly. But Pharo
>> works very sluggish.
>>
>> My image is about 130MB because I have loaded all dutch postcode in
>> memory, but that should not affect the performance of general
>> operations like typing with the keyboard. I am not a fast typer, but
>> sometimes it takes seconds to show my keyboard input. I can't use the
>> down key to select the right method from suggestions, because it seems
>> to lockup completely.
>>
>> Are there ways to speedup Pharo? I would love to use cogVM but I
>> haven't got gemtools working on it...
>>
>> Will upgrading to 1.1.1 fix these issues?
>>
>> Is my OS (Windows 7-64bit) causing these issues?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Bart

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Bart Veenstra
VM Statistics:

uptime 45h21m14s
memory 125,787,076 bytes
        old 122,936,884 bytes (97.7%)
        young 288,944 bytes (0.2%)
        used 123,225,828 bytes (98.0%)
        free 2,561,248 bytes (2.0%)
GCs 211,214 (773ms between GCs)
        full 26 totalling 9,392ms (0.0% uptime), avg 361.2ms
        incr 211188 totalling 6,751ms (0.0% uptime), avg 0.0ms
        tenures 176 (avg 1199 GCs/tenure)
Since last view 198,425 (0ms between GCs)
        uptime -29.4s
        full 5 totalling 6,910ms (-23.5% uptime), avg 1382.0ms
        incr 198420 totalling 4,258ms (-14.5% uptime), avg 0.0ms
        tenures 100 (avg 1984 GCs/tenure)

2010/10/18 Bart Veenstra <[hidden email]>:

> After MCMethodDefinition shutDown it looks like it is reacting a bit
> faster to keyboard input. I often experience sluggishness in
> autocompletion method. When I type in a name of a class in a
> workspace, the autocomplete suggests 3 options. I want to choose the
> middle, so I press down and after 3 seconds (or sometimes nothging
> happens) it selects the class. The longer I have my image open, the
> longer this will take :S
>

> 2010/10/17 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>> Bart,
>> can you try doing:
>>
>> MCMethodDefinition shutDown
>>
>> in your image?
>>
>> On 16 October 2010 14:48, Bart Veenstra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I have been working with Pharo for almost a month now, and I suspect
>>> that the performance is degrading fast. UI tasks takes several seconds
>>> to react to my keyboard.
>>>
>>> At work we use VAST and I have experience with VW as well and those
>>> smalltaks react to my keyboard and mouse actions instantly. But Pharo
>>> works very sluggish.
>>>
>>> My image is about 130MB because I have loaded all dutch postcode in
>>> memory, but that should not affect the performance of general
>>> operations like typing with the keyboard. I am not a fast typer, but
>>> sometimes it takes seconds to show my keyboard input. I can't use the
>>> down key to select the right method from suggestions, because it seems
>>> to lockup completely.
>>>
>>> Are there ways to speedup Pharo? I would love to use cogVM but I
>>> haven't got gemtools working on it...
>>>
>>> Will upgrading to 1.1.1 fix these issues?
>>>
>>> Is my OS (Windows 7-64bit) causing these issues?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Bart

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [SPAM] Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 18 Oct 2010, at 09:21, Bart Veenstra wrote:

> After MCMethodDefinition shutDown it looks like it is reacting a bit
> faster to keyboard input. I often experience sluggishness in
> autocompletion method. When I type in a name of a class in a
> workspace, the autocomplete suggests 3 options. I want to choose the
> middle, so I press down and after 3 seconds (or sometimes nothging
> happens) it selects the class. The longer I have my image open, the
> longer this will take :S

That is what I had before, see my earlier answer...

Sven

Re: [SPAM] Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Bart Veenstra
I would love to use a new image and reload all my apps, but I have
some important data in the image persisted, and I guess I would loose
these with a new image. I installed SIXX already for exporting. this
works. Now the importing part.

Is there a way I can upgrade to 1.1.1 from 1.1? The software update
option doesn't do much.

Regards,

Bart

2010/10/18 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:

> On 18 Oct 2010, at 09:21, Bart Veenstra wrote:
>
>> After MCMethodDefinition shutDown it looks like it is reacting a bit
>> faster to keyboard input. I often experience sluggishness in
>> autocompletion method. When I type in a name of a class in a
>> workspace, the autocomplete suggests 3 options. I want to choose the
>> middle, so I press down and after 3 seconds (or sometimes nothging
>> happens) it selects the class. The longer I have my image open, the
>> longer this will take :S
>
> That is what I had before, see my earlier answer...
>
> Sven

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Bart Veenstra <[hidden email]> wrote:
After MCMethodDefinition shutDown

Does this have some kind of bad side effect or I can do it also?

Cheers

Mariano

it looks like it is reacting a bit
faster to keyboard input. I often experience sluggishness in
autocompletion method. When I type in a name of a class in a
workspace, the autocomplete suggests 3 options. I want to choose the
middle, so I press down and after 3 seconds (or sometimes nothging
happens) it selects the class. The longer I have my image open, the
longer this will take :S

2010/10/17 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
> Bart,
> can you try doing:
>
> MCMethodDefinition shutDown
>
> in your image?
>
> On 16 October 2010 14:48, Bart Veenstra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have been working with Pharo for almost a month now, and I suspect
>> that the performance is degrading fast. UI tasks takes several seconds
>> to react to my keyboard.
>>
>> At work we use VAST and I have experience with VW as well and those
>> smalltaks react to my keyboard and mouse actions instantly. But Pharo
>> works very sluggish.
>>
>> My image is about 130MB because I have loaded all dutch postcode in
>> memory, but that should not affect the performance of general
>> operations like typing with the keyboard. I am not a fast typer, but
>> sometimes it takes seconds to show my keyboard input. I can't use the
>> down key to select the right method from suggestions, because it seems
>> to lockup completely.
>>
>> Are there ways to speedup Pharo? I would love to use cogVM but I
>> haven't got gemtools working on it...
>>
>> Will upgrading to 1.1.1 fix these issues?
>>
>> Is my OS (Windows 7-64bit) causing these issues?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Bart

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Igor Stasenko
2010/10/18 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Bart Veenstra <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> After MCMethodDefinition shutDown
>
> Does this have some kind of bad side effect or I can do it also?

it clears the MC cache. Absolutely safe.
See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3048..
and there are also a recent discussion about it on pharo-dev about
removing MC cache from
weak-dependents list, (but i'm too lazy to search and give a link to it  :) ).

> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

>> it looks like it is reacting a bit
>> faster to keyboard input. I often experience sluggishness in
>> autocompletion method. When I type in a name of a class in a
>> workspace, the autocomplete suggests 3 options. I want to choose the
>> middle, so I press down and after 3 seconds (or sometimes nothging
>> happens) it selects the class. The longer I have my image open, the
>> longer this will take :S
>>

>> 2010/10/17 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>> > Bart,
>> > can you try doing:
>> >
>> > MCMethodDefinition shutDown
>> >
>> > in your image?

>> > --
>> > Best regards,
>> > Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [SPAM] Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I am not clear on upgrades, but I strongly urge establishing a process for saving and loading packages and data, otherwise you can end up trapped in a very old image.  SIXX has done well for me so far with data.  What don't you understand about loading?

For saving and loading packages, I use a homegrown tool called Migrate; see the in box (and expect to ask some questions here) if you are interested.

I would love to use a new image and reload all my apps, but I have
some important data in the image persisted, and I guess I would loose
these with a new image. I installed SIXX already for exporting. this
works. Now the importing part.

Is there a way I can upgrade to 1.1.1 from 1.1? The software update
option doesn't do much.

Regards,

Bart

2010/10/18 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:

> On 18 Oct 2010, at 09:21, Bart Veenstra wrote:
>
>> After MCMethodDefinition shutDown it looks like it is reacting a bit
>> faster to keyboard input. I often experience sluggishness in
>> autocompletion method. When I type in a name of a class in a
>> workspace, the autocomplete suggests 3 options. I want to choose the
>> middle, so I press down and after 3 seconds (or sometimes nothging
>> happens) it selects the class. The longer I have my image open, the
>> longer this will take :S
>
> That is what I had before, see my earlier answer...
>
> Sven

Re: [SPAM] Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Bart Veenstra
I haven't put my mind yet to loading the data, but I guess I will get
this running pretty soon. For loading packages I will create a
metacello configuratoin with all packages so I only need to load this
once. (including seaside and other 3rd party tools)

Regards,

Bart

2010/10/18 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>:

> I am not clear on upgrades, but I strongly urge establishing a process for saving and loading packages and data, otherwise you can end up trapped in a very old image.  SIXX has done well for me so far with data.  What don't you understand about loading?
>
> For saving and loading packages, I use a homegrown tool called Migrate; see the in box (and expect to ask some questions here) if you are interested.

I doubt you will have trouble loading with SIXX, but ask if you do :)

I haven't put my mind yet to loading the data, but I guess I will get
this running pretty soon. For loading packages I will create a
metacello configuratoin with all packages so I only need to load this
once. (including seaside and other 3rd party tools)

Regards,

Bart

2010/10/18 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>:

> I am not clear on upgrades, but I strongly urge establishing a process for saving and loading packages and data, otherwise you can end up trapped in a very old image.  SIXX has done well for me so far with data.  What don't you understand about loading?
>
> For saving and loading packages, I use a homegrown tool called Migrate; see the in box (and expect to ask some questions here) if you are interested.

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

On Oct 18, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Bart Veenstra wrote:

> After MCMethodDefinition shutDown it looks like it is reacting a bit
> faster to keyboard input. I often experience sluggishness in
> autocompletion method. When I type in a name of a class in a
> workspace, the autocomplete suggests 3 options. I want to choose the
> middle, so I press down and after 3 seconds (or sometimes nothging
> happens) it selects the class. The longer I have my image open, the
> longer this will take :S

Argh we should fix that.
I will start to integrate enh of levente related to hasBinding.... but I'm not sure it will help.

Stef

> 2010/10/17 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>> Bart,
>> can you try doing:
>>
>> MCMethodDefinition shutDown
>>
>> in your image?
>>
>> On 16 October 2010 14:48, Bart Veenstra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I have been working with Pharo for almost a month now, and I suspect
>>> that the performance is degrading fast. UI tasks takes several seconds
>>> to react to my keyboard.
>>>
>>> At work we use VAST and I have experience with VW as well and those
>>> smalltaks react to my keyboard and mouse actions instantly. But Pharo
>>> works very sluggish.
>>>
>>> My image is about 130MB because I have loaded all dutch postcode in
>>> memory, but that should not affect the performance of general
>>> operations like typing with the keyboard. I am not a fast typer, but
>>> sometimes it takes seconds to show my keyboard input. I can't use the
>>> down key to select the right method from suggestions, because it seems
>>> to lockup completely.
>>>
>>> Are there ways to speedup Pharo? I would love to use cogVM but I
>>> haven't got gemtools working on it...
>>>
>>> Will upgrading to 1.1.1 fix these issues?
>>>
>>> Is my OS (Windows 7-64bit) causing these issues?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Bart

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Nicolas Cellier
2010/10/17 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Bart Veenstra wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have been working with Pharo for almost a month now, and I suspect
>> that the performance is degrading fast. UI tasks takes several seconds
>> to react to my keyboard.
>
> That kind of sluggishness is probably related to finalization/gc. Please
> send us the result of the following expression:
>
> (WeakArray classPool at: #FinalizationDependents)
>        select: [ :each | each notNil ]
>        thenCollect: [ :each | each class -> each size ]

While updating pharo 1.2, after an EndOfCentralDirectory error, I got
a very unresponsive image...

((WeakArray classPool at: #FinalizationDependents) as: Array)
       select: [ :each | each notNil ]
       thenCollect: [ :each | each class -> each size]
->
{(WeakIdentityKeyDictionary->22370). (WeakRegistry->0).
(WeakRegistry->0). (WeakRegistry->0). (WeakRegistry->2)}

I tried to inspect it 5 minutes ago, but hey, answer in another email...
Ah, OK, cmd+shift+. just worked. I had to interrupt
#finalizationProcess itself finally...
Oh inspect is sorting the keys... unusable.
So what's in the array ? Things like

(ScriptLoader>>#update12125 "a CompiledMethod(0)")->a
MCMethodDefinition(ScriptLoader>>update12125)
(PragmaCollector>>#release "a CompiledMethod(964689920)")->a
MCMethodDefinition(PragmaCollector>>release)
(Float>>#arcSin "a CompiledMethod(358088704)")->a
MCMethodDefinition(Float>>arcSin)

I don't understand yet, but I begin to gather clues why updating pharo
goes so badly...

Nicolas

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Igor Stasenko
On 18 October 2010 23:18, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/10/17 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Bart Veenstra wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I have been working with Pharo for almost a month now, and I suspect
>>> that the performance is degrading fast. UI tasks takes several seconds
>>> to react to my keyboard.
>>
>> That kind of sluggishness is probably related to finalization/gc. Please
>> send us the result of the following expression:
>>
>> (WeakArray classPool at: #FinalizationDependents)
>>        select: [ :each | each notNil ]
>>        thenCollect: [ :each | each class -> each size ]
>>

> While updating pharo 1.2, after an EndOfCentralDirectory error, I got
> a very unresponsive image...
>
> ((WeakArray classPool at: #FinalizationDependents) as: Array)
>       select: [ :each | each notNil ]
>       thenCollect: [ :each | each class -> each size]
> ->
> {(WeakIdentityKeyDictionary->22370).

This is an MC cache. And major reason of image slowdown.

> (WeakRegistry->0).
> (WeakRegistry->0). (WeakRegistry->0). (WeakRegistry->2)}
>
> I tried to inspect it 5 minutes ago, but hey, answer in another email...
> Ah, OK, cmd+shift+. just worked. I had to interrupt
> #finalizationProcess itself finally...
> Oh inspect is sorting the keys... unusable.
> So what's in the array ? Things like
>
> (ScriptLoader>>#update12125 "a CompiledMethod(0)")->a
> MCMethodDefinition(ScriptLoader>>update12125)
> (PragmaCollector>>#release "a CompiledMethod(964689920)")->a
> MCMethodDefinition(PragmaCollector>>release)
> (Float>>#arcSin "a CompiledMethod(358088704)")->a
> MCMethodDefinition(Float>>arcSin)
>
> I don't understand yet, but I begin to gather clues why updating pharo
> goes so badly...
>
> Nicolas

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Nicolas Cellier
2010/10/18 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> On 18 October 2010 23:18, Nicolas Cellier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> That kind of sluggishness is probably related to finalization/gc. Please
>>> send us the result of the following expression:
>>>
>>> (WeakArray classPool at: #FinalizationDependents)
>>>        select: [ :each | each notNil ]
>>>        thenCollect: [ :each | each class -> each size ]
>>>

>> While updating pharo 1.2, after an EndOfCentralDirectory error, I got
>> a very unresponsive image...
>>
>> ((WeakArray classPool at: #FinalizationDependents) as: Array)
>>       select: [ :each | each notNil ]
>>       thenCollect: [ :each | each class -> each size]
>> ->
>> {(WeakIdentityKeyDictionary->22370).
>
> This is an MC cache. And major reason of image slowdown.

Levente did this simplification in trunk:

cachedDefinitions
        ^definitions ifNil: [ definitions := WeakIdentityKeyDictionary new ]

It would be worth a try in Pharo.

Nicolas

>> (WeakRegistry->0).
>> (WeakRegistry->0). (WeakRegistry->0). (WeakRegistry->2)}
>>
>> I tried to inspect it 5 minutes ago, but hey, answer in another email...
>> Ah, OK, cmd+shift+. just worked. I had to interrupt
>> #finalizationProcess itself finally...
>> Oh inspect is sorting the keys... unusable.
>> So what's in the array ? Things like
>>
>> (ScriptLoader>>#update12125 "a CompiledMethod(0)")->a
>> MCMethodDefinition(ScriptLoader>>update12125)
>> (PragmaCollector>>#release "a CompiledMethod(964689920)")->a
>> MCMethodDefinition(PragmaCollector>>release)
>> (Float>>#arcSin "a CompiledMethod(358088704)")->a
>> MCMethodDefinition(Float>>arcSin)
>>
>> I don't understand yet, but I begin to gather clues why updating pharo
>> goes so badly...
>>
>> Nicolas

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Igor Stasenko
On 18 October 2010 23:41, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/10/18 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>> On 18 October 2010 23:18, Nicolas Cellier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> While updating pharo 1.2, after an EndOfCentralDirectory error, I got
>>> a very unresponsive image...
>>>
>>> ((WeakArray classPool at: #FinalizationDependents) as: Array)
>>>       select: [ :each | each notNil ]
>>>       thenCollect: [ :each | each class -> each size]
>>> ->
>>> {(WeakIdentityKeyDictionary->22370).
>>
>> This is an MC cache. And major reason of image slowdown.
>>

> Levente did this simplification in trunk:
>
> cachedDefinitions
>        ^definitions ifNil: [ definitions := WeakIdentityKeyDictionary new ]
>
> It would be worth a try in Pharo.

I disagree. Its not a simplification. Its a bug fix! :)

Recently, i provided the similar thing for Pharo (didn't knew it was
already fixed for Squeak):

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2010/10/17 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Bart Veenstra wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I have been working with Pharo for almost a month now, and I suspect
>>> that the performance is degrading fast. UI tasks takes several seconds
>>> to react to my keyboard.
>>
>> That kind of sluggishness is probably related to finalization/gc. Please
>> send us the result of the following expression:
>>
>> (WeakArray classPool at: #FinalizationDependents)
>>        select: [ :each | each notNil ]
>>        thenCollect: [ :each | each class -> each size ]
>>

> While updating pharo 1.2, after an EndOfCentralDirectory error, I got
> a very unresponsive image...
>
> ((WeakArray classPool at: #FinalizationDependents) as: Array)
>       select: [ :each | each notNil ]
>       thenCollect: [ :each | each class -> each size]
> ->
> {(WeakIdentityKeyDictionary->22370). (WeakRegistry->0).
> (WeakRegistry->0). (WeakRegistry->0). (WeakRegistry->2)}
>
> I tried to inspect it 5 minutes ago, but hey, answer in another email...
> Ah, OK, cmd+shift+. just worked. I had to interrupt
> #finalizationProcess itself finally...
> Oh inspect is sorting the keys... unusable.
> So what's in the array ? Things like
>
> (ScriptLoader>>#update12125 "a CompiledMethod(0)")->a
> MCMethodDefinition(ScriptLoader>>update12125)
> (PragmaCollector>>#release "a CompiledMethod(964689920)")->a
> MCMethodDefinition(PragmaCollector>>release)
> (Float>>#arcSin "a CompiledMethod(358088704)")->a
> MCMethodDefinition(Float>>arcSin)
>
> I don't understand yet, but I begin to gather clues why updating pharo
> goes so badly...
IIRC Igor already checked that most of the time is spend in the
finalization process and gc.

Levente

> Nicolas

Re: Speeding up Pharo 1.1

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2010/10/18 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>> On 18 October 2010 23:18, Nicolas Cellier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> While updating pharo 1.2, after an EndOfCentralDirectory error, I got
>>> a very unresponsive image...
>>>
>>> ((WeakArray classPool at: #FinalizationDependents) as: Array)
>>>       select: [ :each | each notNil ]
>>>       thenCollect: [ :each | each class -> each size]
>>> ->
>>> {(WeakIdentityKeyDictionary->22370).
>>
>> This is an MC cache. And major reason of image slowdown.
>>

> Levente did this simplification in trunk:
>
> cachedDefinitions
> ^definitions ifNil: [ definitions := WeakIdentityKeyDictionary new ]
>
> It would be worth a try in Pharo.
IIRC Pharo's WeakKeyDictionary (and subclasses) don't work properly if
they're not registered to the finalization process. So this won't work
as long as that's not fixed.

Levente

> Nicolas
>
>>> (WeakRegistry->0).
>>> (WeakRegistry->0). (WeakRegistry->0). (WeakRegistry->2)}
>>>
>>> I tried to inspect it 5 minutes ago, but hey, answer in another email...
>>> Ah, OK, cmd+shift+. just worked. I had to interrupt
>>> #finalizationProcess itself finally...
>>> Oh inspect is sorting the keys... unusable.
>>> So what's in the array ? Things like
>>>
>>> (ScriptLoader>>#update12125 "a CompiledMethod(0)")->a
>>> MCMethodDefinition(ScriptLoader>>update12125)
>>> (PragmaCollector>>#release "a CompiledMethod(964689920)")->a
>>> MCMethodDefinition(PragmaCollector>>release)
>>> (Float>>#arcSin "a CompiledMethod(358088704)")->a
>>> MCMethodDefinition(Float>>arcSin)
>>>
>>> I don't understand yet, but I begin to gather clues why updating pharo
>>> goes so badly...
>>>
>>> Nicolas

>> --
>> Best regards,