SpielverderberCrypto: loading problem

Andreas Leidig
Dear list,

I have a problem with Spielverderber.

I tried to load

        SpielverderberCrypto-pmm.1
in

        Squeak 3.10.6
        Pier (current)

and I receive:

        This package depends on the following classes:
          ASN1Constants
        You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to
        load these definitions:
          ASN1BitString
          ASN1BitString classSide>>fromAsnDer:
        [...]

I cannot find matching sources.

Can someone pls. give me a hint?

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: SpielverderberCrypto: loading problem

Philippe Marschall
2009/6/12 Andreas Leidig <[hidden email]>:

> Dear list,
>
> I have a problem with Spielverderber.
>
> I tried to load
>
>        SpielverderberCrypto-pmm.1
> in
>
>        Squeak 3.10.6
>        Pier (current)
>
> and I receive:
>
>        This package depends on the following classes:
>          ASN1Constants
>        You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to
>        load these definitions:
>          ASN1BitString
>          ASN1BitString classSide>>fromAsnDer:
>        [...]
>
> I cannot find matching sources.
>
> Can someone pls. give me a hint?

You need to load the Cryptography package first. Spielverderber was
written for an old version of Pier so you'll probably have to do some
updating.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: SpielverderberCrypto: loading problem

Andreas Leidig
Dear Philippe,

thank you for your quick answer.

> You need to load the Cryptography package first. Spielverderber was
> written for an old version of Pier so you'll probably have to do some
> updating.

This could explain it's complaints about missing classes. THX

The cryptography package does not load correctly, because it is missing
ASN1 definitions. I cannot find these either.

Can you tell me s/th about the state of Spielverderber? Why did the
development stop? Is there a (maybe commercial) successor or a more
successful competitor?

Pier's built-in access management is not the most intuitive I've seen so
far. I do not think that it is adequate for the management of bigger
user groups. Also, I am looking for some features I could not find there
yet.

What do you think?

I have seen that there is an instance of Spielverderber running on the
Spielwiese.

Cheers,

Andreas

Philippe Marschall schrieb:

> 2009/6/12 Andreas Leidig <[hidden email]>:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I have a problem with Spielverderber.
>>
>> I tried to load
>>
>>        SpielverderberCrypto-pmm.1
>> in
>>
>>        Squeak 3.10.6
>>        Pier (current)
>>
>> and I receive:
>>
>>        This package depends on the following classes:
>>          ASN1Constants
>>        You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to
>>        load these definitions:
>>          ASN1BitString
>>          ASN1BitString classSide>>fromAsnDer:
>>        [...]
>>
>> I cannot find matching sources.
>>
>> Can someone pls. give me a hint?
>
> You need to load the Cryptography package first. Spielverderber was
> written for an old version of Pier so you'll probably have to do some
> updating.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: SpielverderberCrypto: loading problem

Philippe Marschall
2009/6/12 Andreas Leidig <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Philippe,
>
> thank you for your quick answer.
>
>> You need to load the Cryptography package first. Spielverderber was
>> written for an old version of Pier so you'll probably have to do some
>> updating.
>
> This could explain it's complaints about missing classes. THX
>
> The cryptography package does not load correctly, because it is missing
> ASN1 definitions. I cannot find these either.

Could be that it's just a shared pool or global that the cryptography
package creates.

> Can you tell me s/th about the state of Spielverderber? Why did the
> development stop?

If was a project for a lecture. At one point the lecture ended.

> Is there a (maybe commercial) successor or a more
> successful competitor?

Nope, the only thing supported any working is Pier Unix Security.

> Pier's built-in access management is not the most intuitive I've seen so
> far. I do not think that it is adequate for the management of bigger
> user groups. Also, I am looking for some features I could not find there
> yet.
>
> What do you think?

Spielverderber has some UI and design deficiencies as well. I made
some decisions that I would do differently today.

> I have seen that there is an instance of Spielverderber running on the
> Spielwiese.

Yeah.

Cheers
Philippe