Spotter - menu items

Ben Coman
I happened to be Spotting for image saveXXX methods and at the top of
results is
#Menu
  + Save
  + Save as...
  + Save and quit

Now what would be really nice is if the code pane showed the
implementation of the menu item.  Usually I resort to using Halos to
inspect the menu item morph to view its implementation.

On a slightly separate point, it feels awkward clicking Save in the
Spotter search,
since there is no visual feedback anything happened.  I had to go back
and experiment by choosing [Save as] to understand that clicking it
actually executed it.

Perhaps executing a menu item from Spotter could #inform: us
that a menu item was executed. This is in spite that choosing [Save]
from the World menu doesn't provide any feedback.
I think that conforms to expected behaviour, but most other Spotter results
only browse, not execute.

Actually how many other Spotter extensions execute something?
It is maybe potentially dangerous that it behaves differently to other results,
and clicking on it (e.g. trying to expand it like other results)
causes side effects.
Perhaps the code pane showing the menu item implementation could have
<Execute> and <Debug> buttons above it.

cheers -ben

Re: Spotter - menu items

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On Feb 22, 2017, at 5:47 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I happened to be Spotting for image saveXXX methods and at the top of
> results is
> #Menu
>  + Save
>  + Save as...
>  + Save and quit
>
> Now what would be really nice is if the code pane showed the
> implementation of the menu item.  Usually I resort to using Halos to
> inspect the menu item morph to view its implementation.
>

> On a slightly separate point, it feels awkward clicking Save in the
> Spotter search,
> since there is no visual feedback anything happened.  I had to go back
> and experiment by choosing [Save as] to understand that clicking it
> actually executed it.
>
> Perhaps executing a menu item from Spotter could #inform: us
> that a menu item was executed. This is in spite that choosing [Save]
> from the World menu doesn't provide any feedback.
> I think that conforms to expected behaviour, but most other Spotter results
> only browse, not execute.

This is an interesting idea.

Could you open an issue for it?

> Actually how many other Spotter extensions execute something?
> It is maybe potentially dangerous that it behaves differently to other results,
> and clicking on it (e.g. trying to expand it like other results)
> causes side effects.

Clicking triggers an action. What the action does is not controlled and nor should it.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

“The smaller and more pervasive the hardware becomes, the more physical the software gets."