Spreadsheet widget

Hilaire Fernandes
Hello,

Do we have such widget?

Thanks

Hilaire

Re: Spreadsheet widget

Tudor Girba-2
If we have it, I would be highly interested :)

Doru

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Do we have such widget?

Thanks

Hilaire

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Spreadsheet widget

Sabine Manaa
Me too;-)

I use jqGrid instead from JQueryWidgetBox

See examples:
http://www.trirand.com/blog/jqgrid/jqgrid.html

Sabine

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
If we have it, I would be highly interested :)

Doru

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Do we have such widget?

Thanks

Hilaire

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Spreadsheet widget

Hilaire Fernandes
Something worth collaborating?

Hilaire

Le 14/01/2013 10:09, Tudor Girba a écrit :

> If we have it, I would be highly interested :)
>
> Doru
>

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Hilaire Fernandes
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Do we have such widget?
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Hilaire
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Spreadsheet widget

Hilaire Fernandes
Something worth collaborating on?

Hilaire

Le 14/01/2013 10:09, Tudor Girba a écrit :

> If we have it, I would be highly interested :)
>
> Doru
>

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Hilaire Fernandes
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Do we have such widget?
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Hilaire
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Spreadsheet widget

Sabine Manaa
Currently, for my requirements the jqGrid is sufficient.
I do not want to invest time in a spreadsheet widget - is think this is much work.
Sabine

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Something worth collaborating on?

Hilaire

Le 14/01/2013 10:09, Tudor Girba a écrit :
> If we have it, I would be highly interested :)
>
> Doru
>

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Hilaire Fernandes
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Do we have such widget?
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Hilaire
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Spreadsheet widget

EstebanLM
but jqGrid is for web/seaside... I think Hilaire is talking about morphic

On Jan 14, 2013, at 10:37 AM, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Currently, for my requirements the jqGrid is sufficient.
I do not want to invest time in a spreadsheet widget - is think this is much work.
Sabine

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Something worth collaborating on?

Hilaire

Le 14/01/2013 10:09, Tudor Girba a écrit :
> If we have it, I would be highly interested :)
>
> Doru
>

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Hilaire Fernandes
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Do we have such widget?
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Hilaire
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Spreadsheet widget

Sabine Manaa
sorry!
(I develop for web)
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
morphic

Re: Spreadsheet widget

> Something worth collaborating on?

Yes!
We worked (I just watched and eat cookies :) with ben to start using his new List within nautilus as a start.
But this is really the way to go.

Stef

> Hilaire
>
> Le 14/01/2013 10:09, Tudor Girba a écrit :
>> If we have it, I would be highly interested :)
>>
>> Doru
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Hilaire Fernandes
>> <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    Hello,
>>
>>    Do we have such widget?
>>
>>    Thanks
>>
>>    Hilaire
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>>
>> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Spreadsheet widget

I'm migrating the code of Hans-Martin Mosner to load in pharo.
After I will have a look at the GSOC code mentioned by chris

Stef

On Jan 14, 2013, at 10:27 AM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Something worth collaborating?
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 14/01/2013 10:09, Tudor Girba a écrit :
>> If we have it, I would be highly interested :)
>>
>> Doru
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Hilaire Fernandes
>> <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    Hello,
>>
>>    Do we have such widget?
>>
>>    Thanks
>>
>>    Hilaire
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>>
>> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Spreadsheet widget

Hi hilaire

I updated a bit the code of Hans.

- remove clone
- remove fractions:offset: to work in latest 2.0
- postCopy should call super postCopy.

SpreadsheetGridMorph new openInWorld

Open a new spreadsheet with "SpreadsheetGridMorph new openInWorld".
You can enter numbers into the cells, and you may enter rules (start
with "=", cell refs are written as A1, B1 etc).
Currently implemented are +-*/ operations.
The update machinery (which is the heart of a spreadsheet) works nicely.

Would be good to publish the code somewhere.

Stef

Spreadsheet-Logic.st (49K) Download Attachment
Spreadsheet-Morphic.st (13K) Download Attachment

Re: Spreadsheet widget

Hilaire Fernandes
It is a nice start.

Hilaire

Le 14/01/2013 22:22, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

> Hi hilaire
>
> I updated a bit the code of Hans.
>
> - remove clone
> - remove fractions:offset: to work in latest 2.0
> - postCopy should call super postCopy.
>

> SpreadsheetGridMorph new openInWorld
>

> Open a new spreadsheet with "SpreadsheetGridMorph new openInWorld".
> You can enter numbers into the cells, and you may enter rules (start
> with "=", cell refs are written as A1, B1 etc).
> Currently implemented are +-*/ operations.
> The update machinery (which is the heart of a spreadsheet) works nicely.
>

> Would be good to publish the code somewhere.
>

> Stef

Re: Spreadsheet widget

Ben Coman
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi hilaire
>
> I updated a bit the code of Hans.
>
> - remove clone
> - remove fractions:offset: to work in latest 2.0
> - postCopy should call super postCopy.
>

> SpreadsheetGridMorph new openInWorld
>

> Open a new spreadsheet with "SpreadsheetGridMorph new openInWorld".
> You can enter numbers into the cells, and you may enter rules (start
> with "=", cell refs are written as A1, B1 etc).
> Currently implemented are +-*/ operations.
> The update machinery (which is the heart of a spreadsheet) works nicely.

> Would be good to publish the code somewhere.
>

> Stef
Where can I find the latest version of SpreadsheetGridMorph ?

I think this will be a great addition to the Pharo ecosystem. Here is an
interesting excerpt from "How Trello is different"
(http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2012/01/06.html)
----
"Forgive me if I now divert into telling you a quick story about my time
spent on the Microsoft Excel team way back in 1991. (Yes, I know you
were not born yet, but I assure you that computers had been invented.
Just hop up here on my knee and shut up.) Everybody thought of Excel as
a financial modeling application. It was used for creating calculation
models with formulas and stuff. You would put in your assumptions and
then calculate things like “if interest rates go up by 0.00001% next
year, what percentage of Las Vegas homeowners will plunge into
bankruptcy?” For example.

Round about 1993 a couple of us went on customer visits to see how
people were using Excel. We found a fellow whose entire job consisted of
maintaining the “number of injuries this week” spreadsheet for a large,
highly-regulated utility. Once a week, he opened an Excel spreadsheet
which listed ten facilities, containing the name of the facilities and
the number 0, which indicated that were 0 injuries that week. (They
never had injuries). He typed the current date in the top of the
spreadsheet, printed a copy, put it in a three-ring binder, and that was
pretty much his whole, entire job. It was kind of sad. He took two lunch
breaks a day. I would too, if that was my whole job.

Over the next two weeks we visited dozens of Excel customers, and did
not see anyone using Excel to actually perform what you would call
“calculations.” Almost all of them were using Excel because it was a
convenient way to create a table."
----

This is interesting for me since I find myself in that category, mostly
using Excel for cleaning and joining sets of data. My usual workflow is:
1. Importing several datasets - usually text files.
2. Manually splitting columns using several different separators .
3. Using VLOOKUP to match data across datasets.
4. Auto-Filtering on non-matching data. Observing where data should
match but there are mistakes.
5. Manually massaging data using substring cut/paste formulas.
Non-matching data usually group into several different patterns.
6. Iterate over steps 4 & 5.

I'd love to be doing this using Pharo instead. Later in the year I hope
to have time to have a go at this.

cheers -ben

Re: Spreadsheet widget

stephane ducasse
Hi Ben

>> Stef
> Where can I find the latest version of SpreadsheetGridMorph ?

it is one smalltalkhub on StephaneDucasse / PetitsBazars

> I think this will be a great addition to the Pharo ecosystem. Here is an interesting excerpt from "How Trello is different" (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2012/01/06.html)

it requires some work.

> ----
> "Forgive me if I now divert into telling you a quick story about my time spent on the Microsoft Excel team way back in 1991. (Yes, I know you were not born yet, but I assure you that computers had been invented. Just hop up here on my knee and shut up.) Everybody thought of Excel as a financial modeling application. It was used for creating calculation models with formulas and stuff. You would put in your assumptions and then calculate things like “if interest rates go up by 0.00001% next year, what percentage of Las Vegas homeowners will plunge into bankruptcy?” For example.
>
> Round about 1993 a couple of us went on customer visits to see how people were using Excel. We found a fellow whose entire job consisted of maintaining the “number of injuries this week” spreadsheet for a large, highly-regulated utility. Once a week, he opened an Excel spreadsheet which listed ten facilities, containing the name of the facilities and the number 0, which indicated that were 0 injuries that week. (They never had injuries). He typed the current date in the top of the spreadsheet, printed a copy, put it in a three-ring binder, and that was pretty much his whole, entire job. It was kind of sad. He took two lunch breaks a day. I would too, if that was my whole job.
>
> Over the next two weeks we visited dozens of Excel customers, and did not see anyone using Excel to actually perform what you would call “calculations.” Almost all of them were using Excel because it was a convenient way to create a table."
> ----
>
> This is interesting for me since I find myself in that category, mostly using Excel for cleaning and joining sets of data. My usual workflow is:
> 1. Importing several datasets - usually text files.
> 2. Manually splitting columns using several different separators .
> 3. Using VLOOKUP to match data across datasets.
> 4. Auto-Filtering on non-matching data. Observing where data should match but there are mistakes.
> 5. Manually massaging data using substring cut/paste formulas. Non-matching data usually group into several different patterns.
> 6. Iterate over steps 4 & 5.
>
> I'd love to be doing this using Pharo instead. Later in the year I hope to have time to have a go at this.
>
> cheers -ben

Re: Spreadsheet widget

Ben Coman
stephane ducasse wrote:

> Hi Ben
>

>>> Stef
>>>
>> Where can I find the latest version of SpreadsheetGridMorph ?
>>

> it is one smalltalkhub on StephaneDucasse / PetitsBazars
>

>> I think this will be a great addition to the Pharo ecosystem. Here is an interesting excerpt from "How Trello is different" (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2012/01/06.html)
>>

> it requires some work.
>

>> ----
>> "Forgive me if I now divert into telling you a quick story about my time spent on the Microsoft Excel team way back in 1991. (Yes, I know you were not born yet, but I assure you that computers had been invented. Just hop up here on my knee and shut up.) Everybody thought of Excel as a financial modeling application. It was used for creating calculation models with formulas and stuff. You would put in your assumptions and then calculate things like “if interest rates go up by 0.00001% next year, what percentage of Las Vegas homeowners will plunge into bankruptcy?” For example.
>>
>> Round about 1993 a couple of us went on customer visits to see how people were using Excel. We found a fellow whose entire job consisted of maintaining the “number of injuries this week” spreadsheet for a large, highly-regulated utility. Once a week, he opened an Excel spreadsheet which listed ten facilities, containing the name of the facilities and the number 0, which indicated that were 0 injuries that week. (They never had injuries). He typed the current date in the top of the spreadsheet, printed a copy, put it in a three-ring binder, and that was pretty much his whole, entire job. It was kind of sad. He took two lunch breaks a day. I would too, if that was my whole job.
>>
>> Over the next two weeks we visited dozens of Excel customers, and did not see anyone using Excel to actually perform what you would call “calculations.” Almost all of them were using Excel because it was a convenient way to create a table."
>> ----
>>
>> This is interesting for me since I find myself in that category, mostly using Excel for cleaning and joining sets of data. My usual workflow is:
>> 1. Importing several datasets - usually text files.
>> 2. Manually splitting columns using several different separators .
>> 3. Using VLOOKUP to match data across datasets.
>> 4. Auto-Filtering on non-matching data. Observing where data should match but there are mistakes.
>> 5. Manually massaging data using substring cut/paste formulas. Non-matching data usually group into several different patterns.
>> 6. Iterate over steps 4 & 5.
>>
>> I'd love to be doing this using Pharo instead. Later in the year I hope to have time to have a go at this.
>>
>> cheers -ben

Thanks Stef.  I've just signed up to Smalltalkhub.  How do I contribute
to the project?
The following has been added to the attached mcz.
* Pharo 1.4 does not have LayoutFrame>>identity.
* Allow external control of spreadsheet using
SpreadsheetGridMorph>>cellStringAt:put: & cellStringAt: and added
associated test.
* Fixed error with SpreadsheetCell>>printOn: missing
Integer>>printAsColumnRefOn: and added associated test.
* To assist tracing/learning the code, added a few commented halt
points. Worked around 'editedCell' instance variable losing its value
while in debugger, which probably needs further review.

cheers -ben

Spreadsheet-BenComan.3.mcz (30K) Download Attachment

Re: Spreadsheet widget

stephane ducasse
Hi ben

I added you as contributor.

> Thanks Stef.  I've just signed up to Smalltalkhub.  How do I contribute to the project?
> The following has been added to the attached mcz.
> * Pharo 1.4 does not have LayoutFrame>>identity.

We should use 2.0

> * Allow external control of spreadsheet using SpreadsheetGridMorph>>cellStringAt:put: & cellStringAt: and added associated test.
> * Fixed error with SpreadsheetCell>>printOn: missing Integer>>printAsColumnRefOn: and added associated test.
> * To assist tracing/learning the code, added a few commented halt points. Worked around 'editedCell' instance variable losing its value while in debugger, which probably needs further review.

cool :)

> cheers -ben
>
> <Spreadsheet-BenComan.3.mcz>

Re: Spreadsheet widget

Ben Coman
stephane ducasse wrote:
> Hi ben
>
> I added you as contributor.

That worked. Thanks.

>> Thanks Stef.  I've just signed up to Smalltalkhub.  How do I contribute to the project?
>> The following has been added to the attached mcz.
>> * Pharo 1.4 does not have LayoutFrame>>identity.
>>

> We should use 2.0

I am in the middle of writing up my Masters project based on Pharo 1.4
(Moose 4.7).  As soon as that is done I'll be moving it to Pharo 2.0.