SpringSource purchase

John Rubier-3
Hi all,

I just read that SpringSource bought GemStone. Just curious if you have
an idea yet as to the impact this will have on the Smalltalk versions of
GemStone & GLASS?

Take care,

John

Re: SpringSource purchase

Norm Green
No changes are planned.  GS/S and GLASS will continue in "business as
usual" mode.

Norm Green

On 5/6/10 5:08 PM, John Rubier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just read that SpringSource bought GemStone. Just curious if you
> have an idea yet as to the impact this will have on the Smalltalk
> versions of GemStone & GLASS?
>
> Take care,
>
> John

Re: SpringSource purchase

hernan.wilkinson
Hi Norm
 could you comment a little bit about the purchase? reason, perspective, etc.

Thanks
Hernan.

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Norm Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
No changes are planned.  GS/S and GLASS will continue in "business as usual" mode.

Norm Green

On 5/6/10 5:08 PM, John Rubier wrote:
Hi all,

I just read that SpringSource bought GemStone. Just curious if you have an idea yet as to the impact this will have on the Smalltalk versions of GemStone & GLASS?

Take care,

John

John

Re: SpringSource purchase

Mariano Martinez Peck
What it is sad is that neither here:

http://blog.springsource.com/2010/05/06/springsource-gemstone/

or here:

http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems

they say the word "Smalltalk" even a single time.

Cheers

Mariano

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:42 AM, Norm Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

NorbertHartl

On 07.05.2010, at 10:44, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

What it is sad is that neither here:

http://blog.springsource.com/2010/05/06/springsource-gemstone/

or here:

http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems

they say the word "Smalltalk" even a single time.

Well, I think this is really bad news. Gemstone is a very good product. But then as far as I understand it it isn't that dependent on smalltalk. Smalltalk is basically only the gem. I guess with some minor tweaks gemstone is able to handle all sorts of object systems. So at first this might be good news for gemstone but it will be bad for smalltalk in the short-term. In the longer term the name gemstone and the company will vanish. If the technology sustains the waves of hype and chaos then only the name will change. Otherwise.... Maybe it is not to far from now and the usage statistics for gemstone are in order: java, ruby,...,smalltalk.
Phrases like "business as usual" you can just ignore. That's pure PR bla bla. Of course it will stay the same for the next 6-12 month and then there will be some important strategy change either induced by replaced personell or by really shocking company news.

I hope it will be nothing of that what I described but the odds aren't very high.

Norbert

[...]

Stephan Eggermont-3
Well, you can reply to the blog post...

Stephan

On 7 mei 2010, at 10:44, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> What it is sad is that neither here:
>
> http://blog.springsource.com/2010/05/06/springsource-gemstone/
>
> or here:
>
> http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems
>
> they say the word "Smalltalk" even a single time.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:42 AM, Norm Green <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> I can't really get into PR territory but you can find more info on
> the merger here:  http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems
>

> Norm
>

> On 5/6/2010 6:55 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:
>>
>> Hi Norm
>>  could you comment a little bit about the purchase? reason,
>> perspective, etc.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Hernan.
>>
>> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Norm Green
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> No changes are planned.  GS/S and GLASS will continue in "business
>> as usual" mode.
>>
>> Norm Green
>>

>> On 5/6/10 5:08 PM, John Rubier wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just read that SpringSource bought GemStone. Just curious if you
>> have an idea yet as to the impact this will have on the Smalltalk
>> versions of GemStone & GLASS?
>>
>> Take care,
>>
>> John

Re: SpringSource purchase

jgfoster
From the press release link:

"SpringSource plans to fully support GemStone’s product line and will continue to support all GemStone customers. GemStone’s ... products include ... GemStone/S, a platform for running distributed Smalltalk applications."

James

On May 7, 2010, at 1:44 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

What it is sad is that neither here:

http://blog.springsource.com/2010/05/06/springsource-gemstone/

or here:

http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems

they say the word "Smalltalk" even a single time.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: SpringSource purchase

Norm Green
Smalltalk is mentioned in the full press release, see below (bolding and emphasis mine).

Here's a text-only version extracted from the pdf file (I'm not sure if this list supports attachments; many do not).

Norm

Contacts:
Ross Levanto or Christine McKeown Charlie Purdom
Schwartz Communications SpringSource, a division of VMware
+1 (415) 512-0770 +1 (415) 957-3512
[hidden email] [hidden email]

SPRINGSOURCE TO ACQUIRE GEMSTONE SYSTEMS DATA
MANAGEMENT TECHNOLOGY

Company Continues Expansion of Application Infrastructure Suite with Proven
Technology Delivering Fast and Reliable Data Access for Enterprise and Cloud
Solutions

PALO ALTO, Calif.—May 6, 2010—SpringSource, a division of VMware, Inc.
(NYSE: VMW), and the leader in Java application infrastructure and management, today
announced that VMware has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire GemStone
Systems, Inc., a privately held provider of enterprise data management solutions based in
Beaverton, Oregon. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The acquisition will advance SpringSource and VMware’s vision of providing the
infrastructure necessary for emerging cloud-centric applications, with built-in
availability, scalability, security and performance guarantees. These modern applications
require new approaches to data management, given they will be deployed across elastic,
highly scalable, geographically distributed architectures. With the addition of
GemStone’s data management solutions, customers will be able to make the right data
available to the right applications at the right time within a distributed cloud environment.

“Data management technologies are fundamental to the creation of applications, and with
the rise of virtualization and cloud computing, the manner in which applications need to
access data is evolving,” said Rod Johnson, general manager of the SpringSource division
of VMware. “Cloud computing is a distributed deployment model, and for that reason,
caching and data accessibility are of far greater strategic importance than before. We are
acquiring and will integrate into the SpringSource portfolio a well-regarded set of high-
performing data management solutions with GemStone.”

Today’s news, combined with the recent acquisition of Rabbit Technologies, Ltd. and the
recent hiring of Salvatore Sanfilippo, the lead programmer for the open source Redis
project, underscores VMware and SpringSource’s understanding of the critical role data
management plays in application deployment to the cloud. This acquisition will further
SpringSource’s strategy to deliver the application infrastructure required for modern
cloud applications.

“Modern, cloud-centric applications will be powered by a lightweight application
platform, scalable data platform and virtualized infrastructure as a service, and
SpringSource is building out a portfolio to address all of those requirements,” said John
Barr, Distinguished Analyst at The 451 Group. “SpringSource clearly recognizes the
fundamental emerging application infrastructure requirements, and therefore its
customers are prepared for the data center of today and tomorrow.”

SpringSource plans to fully support GemStone’s product line and will continue to support
all GemStone customers. GemStone’s flagship product is GemFire Enterprise, a scalable,
distributed data platform that puts data where it is needed across a network to remove
latency. Other GemStone products include GemFire SQLFabric, a memory-oriented SQL
data management platform and GemStone/S, a platform for running distributed Smalltalk
applications.

“Our vision for the future of data aligns completely with SpringSource and VMware, in
that we believe modern applications are distributed and require data to be available in the
fabric of the infrastructure,” said Richard Lamb, president of GemStone. “There are
distributed applications—think VoIP and disaster recovery—and there are distributed
deployment environments—think SpringSource’s tc Server on VMware—and now
SpringSource is forging ahead with the infrastructure needed for distributed data.”

For more information on the acquisition, and for additional comments from Johnson and
Lamb, visit http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems.

Upcoming SpringSource and GemStone Webinar

For further information on SpringSource and GemStone, attend the upcoming webinar
titled, “Data Management For Distributed Applications – SpringSource & GemStone,” on
Wednesday, May 26, 2010.

To register for the webinar click on one of the following links:

.
Europe: 4:00 PM Europe Summer Time/3:00 PM GMT

.
North America: 11:00 AM Pacific Time/2:00 PM Eastern

About GemStone Systems

GemStone Systems delivers award-winning technology solutions that are focused on
enterprise infrastructure usability and improvements. Its products are used by more than
200 large customers in mission-critical environments in industries that rely on real-time
data, including financial services, the federal government, online gaming, transportation,
telecommunications and energy. GemStone Systems is headquartered in Beaverton, Ore.,
and has offices in Mountain View, Calif., New York, Tokyo, London and Pune, India.

About SpringSource

SpringSource, a division of VMware, Inc., (NYSE: VMW) and the leader in Java
application infrastructure and management, provides a complete suite of software
products that accelerate the entire build, run, manage enterprise Java application

lifecycle. SpringSource employs the open source leaders who created and drive
innovation for Spring, the de facto standard programming model for enterprise Java
applications. SpringSource also employs the Java and Web thought leaders within the
Apache Tomcat, Apache HTTP Server, Hyperic, Groovy and Grails open source
communities. Nearly half of the Global 2000, including many of the world’s leading
retail, financial services, manufacturing, healthcare, technology and public sector clients
are SpringSource customers. For more information visit: www.springsource.com.

About VMware

VMware delivers solutions for business infrastructure virtualization that enable IT
organizations to energize businesses of all sizes. With the industry leading virtualization
platform – VMware vSphere™ – customers rely on VMware to reduce capital and
operating expenses, improve agility, ensure business continuity, strengthen security and
go green. With 2009 revenues of $2 billion, more than 170,000 customers and 25,000
partners, VMware is the leader in virtualization which consistently ranks as a top priority
among CIOs. VMware is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the
world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.

###

SpringSource, the SpringSource logo and design, VMware, are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of
VMware, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. The use of the word
“partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other

company.

Forward-Looking Statements

Statements made in this press release which are not statements of historical fact are forward-looking statements and are

subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-
looking statements relate, but are not limited, to the integration of GemStone, Rabbit Technologies and Redis

technologies with SpringSource and VMware product offerings, the capabilities of such technologies and offerings and
their future benefits to VMware and SpringSource customers. Actual results could differ materially from those

projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i)
consummation of our acquisition of GemStone; (ii) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (iii)

delays or reductions in consumer or information technology spending; (iv) competitive factors, including but not
limited to pricing pressures, industry consolidation, entry of new competitors into the virtualization market, and new

product and marketing initiatives by our competitors; (v) our ability to successfully integrate GemStone and RabbitMQ
personnel and technologies into SpringSource and VMware product offerings; and (vi) the future development of cloud

computing technologies and standards;.

These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in
condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and

Exchange Commission, including VMware’s most recent reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and current reports on
Form 8-K that we may file from time to time, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. VMware

disclaims any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.

[...]

Norbert,

On 5/7/2010 2:20 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
> Phrases like "business as usual" you can just ignore. That's pure PR
> bla bla. Of course it will stay the same for the next 6-12 month and
> then there will be some important strategy change either induced by
> replaced personell or by really shocking company news.

I don't work in PR, I work in Engineering.  Of course no one knows the
future, but I can tell you I've seen plans for the Smalltalk team that
extend well beyond "6-12 months".  But don't take my word for it, watch
and see for yourself.  I only hope everyone will try to keep an open mind.

Norm

Re: SpringSource purchase

Dale
Norbert,

It is obviously still too early to tell for sure, but my personal opinion/feelings are that this will end up being a positive for GemStone/S.

Keep in mind that the GemStone/S product has some very large long term customers along with a significant revenue stream. As long as the revenue stream is stable or growing, the GemStone/S product is safe and SpringSource/VMWare has no motivation to tamper with that revenue stream.

Again speaking for myself, I am not losing any sleep worrying about the acquisition so I don't think that you should lose any sleep either:)

Dale
----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| On 07.05.2010, at 10:44, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
|
| > What it is sad is that neither here:
| >
| > http://blog.springsource.com/2010/05/06/springsource-gemstone/
| >
| > or here:
| >
| > http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems
| >
| > they say the word "Smalltalk" even a single time.
| >
| Well, I think this is really bad news. Gemstone is a very good
| product. But then as far as I understand it it isn't that dependent on
| smalltalk. Smalltalk is basically only the gem. I guess with some
| minor tweaks gemstone is able to handle all sorts of object systems.
| So at first this might be good news for gemstone but it will be bad
| for smalltalk in the short-term. In the longer term the name gemstone
| and the company will vanish. If the technology sustains the waves of
| hype and chaos then only the name will change. Otherwise.... Maybe it
| is not to far from now and the usage statistics for gemstone are in
| order: java, ruby,...,smalltalk.
| Phrases like "business as usual" you can just ignore. That's pure PR
| bla bla. Of course it will stay the same for the next 6-12 month and
| then there will be some important strategy change either induced by
| replaced personell or by really shocking company news.
|
| I hope it will be nothing of that what I described but the odds aren't
| very high.
|
| Norbert
| >

| > On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:42 AM, Norm Green <[hidden email]>
| wrote:
| > I can't really get into PR territory but you can find more info on
| the merger here:
| http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems
| >

| > Norm
| >

| > On 5/6/2010 6:55 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:
| >>
| >> Hi Norm
| >>  could you comment a little bit about the purchase? reason,
| perspective, etc.
| >>
| >> Thanks
| >> Hernan.
| >>
| >> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Norm Green
| <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >> No changes are planned.  GS/S and GLASS will continue in "business
| as usual" mode.
| >>
| >> Norm Green
| >>

| >> On 5/6/10 5:08 PM, John Rubier wrote:
| >> Hi all,
| >>
| >> I just read that SpringSource bought GemStone. Just curious if you
| have an idea yet as to the impact this will have on the Smalltalk
| versions of GemStone & GLASS?
| >>
| >> Take care,
| >>
| >> John

Re: SpringSource purchase

Reg Krock
Dale,

And knowing a little of your experience about these things, projects
coming and going and company takeovers, this is good news.

Regards,

Reg

> Norbert,
>
> It is obviously still too early to tell for sure, but my personal
> opinion/feelings are that this will end up being a positive for
> GemStone/S.
>
> Keep in mind that the GemStone/S product has some very large long term
> customers along with a significant revenue stream. As long as the revenue
> stream is stable or growing, the GemStone/S product is safe and
> SpringSource/VMWare has no motivation to tamper with that revenue stream.
>
> Again speaking for myself, I am not losing any sleep worrying about the
> acquisition so I don't think that you should lose any sleep either:)
>
> Dale
> ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | On 07.05.2010, at 10:44, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> |
> | > What it is sad is that neither here:
> | >
> | > http://blog.springsource.com/2010/05/06/springsource-gemstone/
> | >
> | > or here:
> | >
> | > http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems
> | >
> | > they say the word "Smalltalk" even a single time.
> | >
> | Well, I think this is really bad news. Gemstone is a very good
> | product. But then as far as I understand it it isn't that dependent on
> | smalltalk. Smalltalk is basically only the gem. I guess with some
> | minor tweaks gemstone is able to handle all sorts of object systems.
> | So at first this might be good news for gemstone but it will be bad
> | for smalltalk in the short-term. In the longer term the name gemstone
> | and the company will vanish. If the technology sustains the waves of
> | hype and chaos then only the name will change. Otherwise.... Maybe it
> | is not to far from now and the usage statistics for gemstone are in
> | order: java, ruby,...,smalltalk.
> | Phrases like "business as usual" you can just ignore. That's pure PR
> | bla bla. Of course it will stay the same for the next 6-12 month and
> | then there will be some important strategy change either induced by
> | replaced personell or by really shocking company news.
> |
> | I hope it will be nothing of that what I described but the odds aren't
> | very high.
> |
> | Norbert
> | >

> | > On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:42 AM, Norm Green <[hidden email]>
> | wrote:
> | > I can't really get into PR territory but you can find more info on
> | the merger here:
> | http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems
> | >

> | > Norm

> | perspective, etc.

> | as usual" mode.

> | have an idea yet as to the impact this will have on the Smalltalk
> | versions of GemStone & GLASS?

Re: SpringSource purchase

Dale
Reg,

Haha! Yes I have been involved in some real stinker merger/acquisitions and this one feels completely different ... the folks at from SpringSource are not just saying the right things but they are doing the right things, so far:)

Dale
----- "Reg Krock" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Dale,
|
| And knowing a little of your experience about these things, projects
| coming and going and company takeovers, this is good news.
|
| Regards,
|
| Reg
|
| > Norbert,
| >
| > It is obviously still too early to tell for sure, but my personal
| > opinion/feelings are that this will end up being a positive for
| > GemStone/S.
| >
| > Keep in mind that the GemStone/S product has some very large long
| term
| > customers along with a significant revenue stream. As long as the
| revenue
| > stream is stable or growing, the GemStone/S product is safe and
| > SpringSource/VMWare has no motivation to tamper with that revenue
| stream.
| >
| > Again speaking for myself, I am not losing any sleep worrying about
| the
| > acquisition so I don't think that you should lose any sleep
| either:)
| >
| > Dale
| > ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > | On 07.05.2010, at 10:44, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
| > |

| http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems

| > | Well, I think this is really bad news. Gemstone is a very good
| > | product. But then as far as I understand it it isn't that
| dependent on
| > | smalltalk. Smalltalk is basically only the gem. I guess with some
| > | minor tweaks gemstone is able to handle all sorts of object
| systems.
| > | So at first this might be good news for gemstone but it will be
| bad
| > | for smalltalk in the short-term. In the longer term the name
| gemstone
| > | and the company will vanish. If the technology sustains the waves
| of
| > | hype and chaos then only the name will change. Otherwise.... Maybe
| it
| > | is not to far from now and the usage statistics for gemstone are
| in
| > | order: java, ruby,...,smalltalk.
| > | Phrases like "business as usual" you can just ignore. That's pure
| PR
| > | bla bla. Of course it will stay the same for the next 6-12 month
| and
| > | then there will be some important strategy change either induced
| by
| > | replaced personell or by really shocking company news.
| > |
| > | I hope it will be nothing of that what I described but the odds
| aren't
| > | very high.
| > |
| > | Norbert

| <[hidden email]>
| on
| > | the merger here:
| > |
| http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems

| > | perspective, etc.

| "business
| > | as usual" mode.

| you
| > | have an idea yet as to the impact this will have on the Smalltalk
| > | versions of GemStone & GLASS?

Re: SpringSource purchase

Timothy James Ziebart-2
Thanks Dale.  The revenue generated by Gemstone/S will ultimately
determine it's future.  If it was a marginal product that Gemstone was
supporting out of loyalty then I would be worried.  Knowing there is a
large revenue base associated with it.... well, I will not lose any
sleep over it.  Twice before I've invested in technology that was sold
and became shelf-ware -- looks like this will not be a third.

Regards,

Tim

On 10-05-07 10:43 AM, Reg Krock wrote:

> Dale,
>
> And knowing a little of your experience about these things, projects
> coming and going and company takeovers, this is good news.
>
> Regards,
>
> Reg
>

>> Norbert,
>>
>> It is obviously still too early to tell for sure, but my personal
>> opinion/feelings are that this will end up being a positive for
>> GemStone/S.
>>
>> Keep in mind that the GemStone/S product has some very large long term
>> customers along with a significant revenue stream. As long as the revenue
>> stream is stable or growing, the GemStone/S product is safe and
>> SpringSource/VMWare has no motivation to tamper with that revenue stream.
>>
>> Again speaking for myself, I am not losing any sleep worrying about the
>> acquisition so I don't think that you should lose any sleep either:)
>>
>> Dale
>> ----- "Norbert Hartl"<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>> | Well, I think this is really bad news. Gemstone is a very good
>> | product. But then as far as I understand it it isn't that dependent on
>> | smalltalk. Smalltalk is basically only the gem. I guess with some
>> | minor tweaks gemstone is able to handle all sorts of object systems.
>> | So at first this might be good news for gemstone but it will be bad
>> | for smalltalk in the short-term. In the longer term the name gemstone
>> | and the company will vanish. If the technology sustains the waves of
>> | hype and chaos then only the name will change. Otherwise.... Maybe it
>> | is not to far from now and the usage statistics for gemstone are in
>> | order: java, ruby,...,smalltalk.
>> | Phrases like "business as usual" you can just ignore. That's pure PR
>> | bla bla. Of course it will stay the same for the next 6-12 month and
>> | then there will be some important strategy change either induced by
>> | replaced personell or by really shocking company news.
>> |
>> | I hope it will be nothing of that what I described but the odds aren't
>> | very high.
>> |
>> | Norbert

>> | the merger here:
>> | http://www.springsource.com/springsource-acquires-gemstone-systems

>> | perspective, etc.

>> | as usual" mode.

>> | have an idea yet as to the impact this will have on the Smalltalk
>> | versions of GemStone&  GLASS?

Re: SpringSource purchase

dario trussardi
+1

>  Twice before I've invested in technology that was sold and became shelf-ware -- looks like this will not be a third.

Dario

SystemUser doesn't see a subclassing method

Phil Blake
I was attempting to compile a class as SystemUser and found that SystemUser doesn't see one of the Subclass Creation methods, specifically:

Class-#subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:category:inDictionary:constraints:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:

Is this an oversight or good planning? :)

As DataCurator we see 5 methods, the first of which seems to be missing when views as SystemUser.
list categoriesIn: Class
category Subclass Creation (showing just the #subclass... methods)
 subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:category:inDictionary:constraints:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:
 subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:
 subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:newVersionOf:isModifiable:
 subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:
 subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:constraints:

As SystemUser we see the other 4 methods.
list categoriesIn: Class
category Subclass Creation (showing just the #subclass... methods)
 subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:
 subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:newVersionOf:isModifiable:
 subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:
 subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:constraints:

Cheers,

Phil

Re: SystemUser doesn't see a subclassing method

James Foster
Phil,

There are some methods that are part of the 'base image' and some methods that are added as 'session methods' for certain users. In this case the extra method is likely to have been added for DataCurator but not for SystemUser. So, this is by design ;-)

James

On May 9, 2010, at 6:57 PM, Phil Blake wrote:

> I was attempting to compile a class as SystemUser and found that SystemUser doesn't see one of the Subclass Creation methods, specifically:
>
> Class-#subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:category:inDictionary:constraints:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:
>
> Is this an oversight or good planning? :)
>
> As DataCurator we see 5 methods, the first of which seems to be missing when views as SystemUser.
> list categoriesIn: Class
> category Subclass Creation (showing just the #subclass... methods)
> subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:category:inDictionary:constraints:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:
> subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:
> subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:newVersionOf:isModifiable:
> subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:
> subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:constraints:
>
> As SystemUser we see the other 4 methods.
> list categoriesIn: Class
> category Subclass Creation (showing just the #subclass... methods)
> subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:
> subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:newVersionOf:isModifiable:
> subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:
> subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:constraints:
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil

Re: SystemUser doesn't see a subclassing method

Dale
Phil,

If you want to you _can_ install GLASS as SystemUser, but you would have to do all of your development as SystemUser...

Since SystemUser owns all of the base classes and methods you have two choices ... 1) give your developers SystemUser privileges (and install GLASS as SystemUser) or 2) do development as a non-SystemUser and use SessionMethods to extend the classes for which you do not have access privileges...

If you go the SessionMethod route then the base classes are not modified from the perspective of SystemUser ....

As I write this I realize that it would be possible for SystemUser to install and use the DataCurator session methods, but I'd have to monkey with some things to make it work correctly ... I've submitted Issue 110 (http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/detail?id=110) to track this ...

Dale

----- "Phil Blake" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I was attempting to compile a class as SystemUser and found that
| SystemUser doesn't see one of the Subclass Creation methods,
| specifically:
|
| Class-#subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:category:inDictionary:constraints:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:
|
| Is this an oversight or good planning? :)
|
| As DataCurator we see 5 methods, the first of which seems to be
| missing when views as SystemUser.
| list categoriesIn: Class
| category Subclass Creation (showing just the #subclass... methods)
|
| subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:category:inDictionary:constraints:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:
|
| subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:
|
| subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:newVersionOf:isModifiable:
|  subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:
|  subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:constraints:
|
| As SystemUser we see the other 4 methods.
| list categoriesIn: Class
| category Subclass Creation (showing just the #subclass... methods)
|
| subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:isModifiable:
|
| subclass:instVarNames:classVars:classInstVars:poolDictionaries:inDictionary:instancesInvariant:newVersionOf:isModifiable:
|  subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:
|  subclass:instVarNames:inDictionary:constraints:
|
| Cheers,
|
| Phil

Re: SystemUser doesn't see a subclassing method

Phil Blake
Hi Dale,

Thanks for your message. It's not an issue for me - i was just wondering if it was by design, or an oversight.

Cheers,

Phil
On 11/05/2010, at 2:54 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Phil,
>
> If you want to you _can_ install GLASS as SystemUser, but you would have to do all of your development as SystemUser...
>
> Since SystemUser owns all of the base classes and methods you have two choices ... 1) give your developers SystemUser privileges (and install GLASS as SystemUser) or 2) do development as a non-SystemUser and use SessionMethods to extend the classes for which you do not have access privileges...
>
> If you go the SessionMethod route then the base classes are not modified from the perspective of SystemUser ....
>
> As I write this I realize that it would be possible for SystemUser to install and use the DataCurator session methods, but I'd have to monkey with some things to make it work correctly ... I've submitted Issue 110 (http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/detail?id=110) to track this ...
>
> Dale

Re: SystemUser doesn't see a subclassing method

Dale
Phil,

It has bugged me for awhile that SystemUser was excluded "by design:)" ... the issue has come up before so I'm happy that your question has "uncovered" a solution ... which turns the exclusion into "oversight:)"...