Sprite animation in Morphic?

Casey Ransberger-2
Hey all,

I have a big pile of sprites (frames of bitmapped character animation with bit-masks) that I'd like to animate. I've done this before in the raw with C, but never with Morphic. I'm afraid I'm liable to reinvent the wheel unless I find a lead on what the right way to do this is in Morphic.

Casey Ransberger

Re: Sprite animation in Morphic?

Derek O'Connell-3
On 11/05/11 04:15, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>  Hey all,
>
>  I have a big pile of sprites (frames of bitmapped character animation
>  with bit-masks) that I'd like to animate. I've done this before in
>  the raw with C, but never with Morphic. I'm afraid I'm liable to
>  reinvent the wheel unless I find a lead on what the right way to do
>  this is in Morphic.
>
>  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Not sure about the "right way" but would like to see an informed answer
to that myself :-) In the mean time AnimatedImageMorph appears to be a
good starting point, sub-classed for adding animation features
(position, scaling, etc). Scratch code is a good reference for this sort
of thing.

-D

Re: Sprite animation in Morphic?

Gary Dunn-2
Good tutorial here: http://www.dmu.com/squeak/

To import your graphics,

World menu / open
file list
Click "Name" button
Select image file in upper window. Thumbnail will display in lower frame.
Click "Import" button (not much happens)
Close file list

Extras / Graphical Imports
Select image
Click small menu button, select "hand me one"

Drop that image into the holder

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:34 AM, Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/05/11 04:15, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>>
>>  Hey all,
>>
>>  I have a big pile of sprites (frames of bitmapped character animation
>>  with bit-masks) that I'd like to animate. I've done this before in
>>  the raw with C, but never with Morphic. I'm afraid I'm liable to
>>  reinvent the wheel unless I find a lead on what the right way to do
>>  this is in Morphic.
>>
>>  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> Not sure about the "right way" but would like to see an informed answer to
> that myself :-) In the mean time AnimatedImageMorph appears to be a good
> starting point, sub-classed for adding animation features (position,
> scaling, etc). Scratch code is a good reference for this sort of thing.
>
> -D

Gary Dunn
Honolulu

On 11/05/11 09:07, Gary Dunn wrote:
>  Good tutorial here: http://www.dmu.com/squeak/

That's a good tutorial if Casey really wants to do animation via Etoys
and not in code in Morphic.

>  To import your graphics,
>
>  World menu / open file list Click "Name" button Select image file in
>  upper window. Thumbnail will display in lower frame. Click "Import"
>  button (not much happens) Close file list
>
>  Extras / Graphical Imports Select image Click small menu button,
>  select "hand me one"
>
>  Drop that image into the holder

Alternatively drag an image from external file explorer and drop on
desktop, then from there into holder (Playfield doesn't appear to accept
the drop directly).

-D

>  On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:34 AM, Derek O'Connell
>  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 11/05/11 04:15, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> >>
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I have a big pile of sprites (frames of bitmapped character
> >> animation with bit-masks) that I'd like to animate. I've done
> >> this before in the raw with C, but never with Morphic. I'm afraid
> >> I'm liable to reinvent the wheel unless I find a lead on what the
> >> right way to do this is in Morphic.
> >>
> >> Can anyone point me in the right direction?
> >
> > Not sure about the "right way" but would like to see an informed
> > answer to that myself :-) In the mean time AnimatedImageMorph
> > appears to be a good starting point, sub-classed for adding
> > animation features (position, scaling, etc). Scratch code is a good
> > reference for this sort of thing.
> >
> > -D _______________________________________________ Beginners
> > mailing list [hidden email]
> > http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners

Re: Sprite animation in Morphic?

Antonio Moreno
Hello,

http://lists.squeakland.org/pipermail/etoys-dev/2009-June/003228.html
something like this?

El mar, 10-05-2011 a las 20:15 -0700, Casey Ransberger escribió:
Hey all,

I have a big pile of sprites (frames of bitmapped character animation with bit-masks) that I'd like to animate. I've done this before in the raw with C, but never with Morphic. I'm afraid I'm liable to reinvent the wheel unless I find a lead on what the right way to do this is in Morphic.

Casey Ransberger

Re: Sprite animation in Morphic?

K K Subbu
On Wednesday 11 May 2011 8:45:29 AM Casey Ransberger wrote:
Take a look at bouncing ball animation in Etoys. It puts frames in a holder
and cycles thru them with the holder's cursor.

HTH .. Subbu