Spy

roberto.minelli@usi.ch
Hi,

I'm was exploring some methods to build method wrappers and I discovered Spy.
Unfortunately the sample code provided on http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy does not run.

When you reach this point

> You can simply invoke it with:
>
> | packageSpy |
> packageSpy := DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed: 'Mondrian'.

There is no "DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy" yet.
Afterward this class is defined but still there is no message "runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed".

Any hep would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Roberto

Re: Spy

stephane ducasse
Do not reinvent the wheel.
        MethodWrapper should work on Pharo else we should fix them.
        They should be published on SmalltalkHub
Then Spy should work or another spying framework because Alex is using them.

So let us know so that we can take actions.

> I'm was exploring some methods to build method wrappers and I discovered Spy.
> Unfortunately the sample code provided on http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy does not run.
>
> When you reach this point
>
>> You can simply invoke it with:
>>
>> | packageSpy |
>> packageSpy := DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed: 'Mondrian'.
>
> There is no "DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy" yet.
> Afterward this class is defined but still there is no message "runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed".
>
> Any hep would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Roberto

Re: Spy

roberto.minelli@usi.ch
Thanks Stef,

I'll look at MethodWrapper tomorrow morning!
In short all I need to do is intercept a set of messages and do something (e.g., log)  without touching the original implementation.
I thought that Spy could have done the job, right?

Cheers,
Roby

On Mar 24, 2013, at 9:44 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> Do not reinvent the wheel.
> MethodWrapper should work on Pharo else we should fix them.
> They should be published on SmalltalkHub
> Then Spy should work or another spying framework because Alex is using them.
>
> So let us know so that we can take actions.
>
> Stef
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm was exploring some methods to build method wrappers and I discovered Spy.
>> Unfortunately the sample code provided on http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy does not run.
>>
>> When you reach this point
>>
>>> You can simply invoke it with:
>>>
>>> | packageSpy |
>>> packageSpy := DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed: 'Mondrian'.
>>
>> There is no "DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy" yet.
>> Afterward this class is defined but still there is no message "runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed".
>>
>> Any hep would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Roberto

Re: Spy

abergel
Hi!

> I'm was exploring some methods to build method wrappers and I discovered Spy.
> Unfortunately the sample code provided on http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy does not run.

I have updated the webpage. It was a bit desynchronized with the actual code.
You may want to have a look at http://bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg10f-Spy.pdf
This is a longer description of the framework

> When you reach this point
>
>> You can simply invoke it with:
>>
>> | packageSpy |
>> packageSpy := DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed: 'Mondrian'.
>
> There is no "DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy" yet.

You need to define 4 classes, as indicated in the webpage.

> Afterward this class is defined but still there is no message "runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed".

use instead:
runTestsForPackagesMatching: 'YourPackages*'

Let us know if you still experience problems.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Spy

abergel
The overhead occurred by MethodWrapper is higher than Spy. Spy comes with a faster implementation of the methodwrapper.

The other thing is that Spy offer ways to automatically install/uninstall the wrappers, run the unit tests and so on.

Alexandre

On Mar 24, 2013, at 4:44 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do not reinvent the wheel.
> MethodWrapper should work on Pharo else we should fix them.
> They should be published on SmalltalkHub
> Then Spy should work or another spying framework because Alex is using them.
>
> So let us know so that we can take actions.
>
> Stef
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm was exploring some methods to build method wrappers and I discovered Spy.
>> Unfortunately the sample code provided on http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy does not run.
>>
>> When you reach this point
>>
>>> You can simply invoke it with:
>>>
>>> | packageSpy |
>>> packageSpy := DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed: 'Mondrian'.
>>
>> There is no "DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy" yet.
>> Afterward this class is defined but still there is no message "runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed".
>>
>> Any hep would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Roberto

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Spy

roberto.minelli@usi.ch
Hi Alexandre,

Could you please help me in using your Spy tool? In a fresh Pharo 2.0 image I loaded Spy as suggested here http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy but the simple example on the webpage do not run. Any intuition?

Thanks,

On Mar 25, 2013, at 3:55 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The overhead occurred by MethodWrapper is higher than Spy. Spy comes with a faster implementation of the methodwrapper.
>
> The other thing is that Spy offer ways to automatically install/uninstall the wrappers, run the unit tests and so on.
>
> Alexandre
>

> On Mar 24, 2013, at 4:44 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Do not reinvent the wheel.
>> MethodWrapper should work on Pharo else we should fix them.
>> They should be published on SmalltalkHub
>> Then Spy should work or another spying framework because Alex is using them.
>>
>> So let us know so that we can take actions.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm was exploring some methods to build method wrappers and I discovered Spy.
>>> Unfortunately the sample code provided on http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy does not run.
>>>
>>> When you reach this point

>>> There is no "DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy" yet.
>>> Afterward this class is defined but still there is no message "runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed".
>>>
>>> Any hep would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Roberto

Re: Spy

roberto.minelli@usi.ch
[EDIT] I've just seen you updated the page! Now I'll try the updated example!

On Mar 25, 2013, at 1:33 PM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> Hi Alexandre,
>
> Could you please help me in using your Spy tool? In a fresh Pharo 2.0 image I loaded Spy as suggested here http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy but the simple example on the webpage do not run. Any intuition?
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 3:55 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The overhead occurred by MethodWrapper is higher than Spy. Spy comes with a faster implementation of the methodwrapper.
>>
>> The other thing is that Spy offer ways to automatically install/uninstall the wrappers, run the unit tests and so on.
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On Mar 24, 2013, at 4:44 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Do not reinvent the wheel.
>>> MethodWrapper should work on Pharo else we should fix them.
>>> They should be published on SmalltalkHub
>>> Then Spy should work or another spying framework because Alex is using them.
>>>
>>> So let us know so that we can take actions.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: Spy

Ben Coman
Looks very interesting.  What would be cool would be building a Message Sequence Chart [1] using Mondrian for model interactions.
For example, given a model root, Spy on all subclass methods, then from workspace invoke a starting method from which to trace.
Or, more advanced, be able to invoke this from the debugger.

cheers -ben

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Sequence_Chart

Alexandre Bergel wrote:
[...]

Thanks for updating the webpage.
Btw I've been trying the new code but I got a MNU on DemoTestCoverageMethodSpy class>>currentTestMethod which comes from DemoTestCoverageMethodSpy>>beforeRun:with:in:.

I think it has still something to do with the new code involving the Profiler class. Do you have a quick solution for that?

Thanks in advance,
Roby

On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:41 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks very interesting.  What would be cool would be building a Message Sequence Chart [1] using Mondrian for model interactions.
> For example, given a model root, Spy on all subclass methods, then from workspace invoke a starting method from which to trace.
> Or, more advanced, be able to invoke this from the debugger.
>
> cheers -ben
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Sequence_Chart
>
> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>> Hi!
>>

>>> I'm was exploring some methods to build method wrappers and I discovered Spy.
>>> Unfortunately the sample code provided on
>>> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy
>>>  does not run.
>>>

>> I have updated the webpage. It was a bit desynchronized with the actual code.
>> You may want to have a look at
>> http://bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg10f-Spy.pdf
>>
>> This is a longer description of the framework
>>

>>> When you reach this point

>>> There is no "DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy" yet.
>>>

>> You need to define 4 classes, as indicated in the webpage.
>>

>>> Afterward this class is defined but still there is no message "runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed".
>>>

>> use instead:
>> runTestsForPackagesMatching: 'YourPackages*'
>>
>> Let us know if you still experience problems.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre

Re: Spy

abergel
Sorry Roby,

It should be:
DemoTestCoverageMethodSpy>>beforeRun: methodName with: listOfArguments in: receiver
  nbOfExecutions := nbOfExecutions + 1.
  testMethodsThatRunMe add: self profiler class currentTestMethod

(this is not really elegant, I agree)

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Mar 25, 2013, at 4:25 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Alexandre,
>
> Thanks for updating the webpage.
> Btw I've been trying the new code but I got a MNU on DemoTestCoverageMethodSpy class>>currentTestMethod which comes from DemoTestCoverageMethodSpy>>beforeRun:with:in:.
>
> I think it has still something to do with the new code involving the Profiler class. Do you have a quick solution for that?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Roby
>
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:41 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Looks very interesting.  What would be cool would be building a Message Sequence Chart [1] using Mondrian for model interactions.
>> For example, given a model root, Spy on all subclass methods, then from workspace invoke a starting method from which to trace.
>> Or, more advanced, be able to invoke this from the debugger.
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Sequence_Chart
>>
>> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>> Hi!

>>> I have updated the webpage. It was a bit desynchronized with the actual code.
>>> You may want to have a look at
>>> http://bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg10f-Spy.pdf
>>>
>>> This is a longer description of the framework

>>> You need to define 4 classes, as indicated in the webpage.

>>> use instead:
>>> runTestsForPackagesMatching: 'YourPackages*'
>>>
>>> Let us know if you still experience problems.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Spy

abergel
I think Frederic Pluquet has worked on that on some point.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Mar 25, 2013, at 1:41 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks very interesting.  What would be cool would be building a Message Sequence Chart [1] using Mondrian for model interactions.
> For example, given a model root, Spy on all subclass methods, then from workspace invoke a starting method from which to trace.
> Or, more advanced, be able to invoke this from the debugger.
>
> cheers -ben
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Sequence_Chart
>
> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>> Hi!
>>

>>> I'm was exploring some methods to build method wrappers and I discovered Spy.
>>> Unfortunately the sample code provided on
>>> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy
>>>  does not run.
>>>

>> I have updated the webpage. It was a bit desynchronized with the actual code.
>> You may want to have a look at
>> http://bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg10f-Spy.pdf
>>
>> This is a longer description of the framework
>>

>>> When you reach this point

>>> There is no "DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy" yet.
>>>

>> You need to define 4 classes, as indicated in the webpage.
>>

>>> Afterward this class is defined but still there is no message "runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed".
>>>

>> use instead:
>> runTestsForPackagesMatching: 'YourPackages*'
>>
>> Let us know if you still experience problems.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Spy

stephane ducasse
Did you migrate Spy on SmalltalkHub?
Do you need a CI job to run the tests of Spy automatically?
Do you have a configurationOfSpy?

For MethodWrappers do you have a working version somewhere? Because I would like to publish them on SMalltalkhub :)

> Hi!
>
>> I'm was exploring some methods to build method wrappers and I discovered Spy.
>> Unfortunately the sample code provided on http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy does not run.
>
> I have updated the webpage. It was a bit desynchronized with the actual code.
> You may want to have a look at http://bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg10f-Spy.pdf
> This is a longer description of the framework
>
>> When you reach this point
>>
>>> You can simply invoke it with:
>>>
>>> | packageSpy |
>>> packageSpy := DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed: 'Mondrian'.
>>
>> There is no "DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy" yet.
>
> You need to define 4 classes, as indicated in the webpage.
>
>> Afterward this class is defined but still there is no message "runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed".
>
> use instead:
> runTestsForPackagesMatching: 'YourPackages*'
>
> Let us know if you still experience problems.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Re: Spy

abergel
Give me a few days to carefully answer.
Tomorrow we have a big big deadline

Alexandre

On Mar 27, 2013, at 3:09 AM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did you migrate Spy on SmalltalkHub?
> Do you need a CI job to run the tests of Spy automatically?
> Do you have a configurationOfSpy?
>
> For MethodWrappers do you have a working version somewhere? Because I would like to publish them on SMalltalkhub :)
>

>> Hi!
>>
>>> I'm was exploring some methods to build method wrappers and I discovered Spy.
>>> Unfortunately the sample code provided on http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/Spy does not run.
>>
>> I have updated the webpage. It was a bit desynchronized with the actual code.
>> You may want to have a look at http://bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg10f-Spy.pdf
>> This is a longer description of the framework
>>
>>> When you reach this point

>>> There is no "DemoTestCoveragePackageSpy" yet.
>>
>> You need to define 4 classes, as indicated in the webpage.
>>
>>> Afterward this class is defined but still there is no message "runTestAndGatherForPackageNamed".
>>
>> use instead:
>> runTestsForPackagesMatching: 'YourPackages*'
>>
>> Let us know if you still experience problems.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Spy

abergel
Spy is now on SmalltalkHub

On Apr 4, 2013, at 6:28 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Spy is now on SmalltalkHub

cool do you have a test group?
Because we could add it to the ci

Stef