[SqNOS] SqNOS devel guide

petdvo
Hello,

I am curious if there is some kind of "SqueakNOS - introduction to
development".
Especially I am interested in porting SqueakNOS to ARM plattform
(namely armadeus APF27 board, see www.armadeus.org) for embedded
applications. Where to start?
I am quite experiencced in programming, even low-level, and quite
familiar with Squeak, but not with lower-level parts (primitives,
plugins, virtual machine).

Greetings,

Petr

Re: [SqNOS] SqNOS devel guide

Guido Chari
Hello Petr,

Unfortunately we don't have much documentation. Basicaly because SqueakNOS is based on SqueakVM and SqueakVM is not very well documented.

However, with the new release we will upload on next days, we will probably add some links to most of the documents we have read to gain expierence with squeakVM low-level stuff.

It would be really nice to have squeakNOS ported to ARM. I think there is already a port to arm for the SqueakVM. I don't know exactly its status. But it should not be hard to merge that with SqueakNos cause as i already said, SqueakNOS  virtual machine is almost similar to Squeak VM.  There are not much changes to the vm, the idea is to work as much as possible on image side.

Anyway, feel free to email any doubt on the list.

Cheers,
Guido.

2011/3/15 <[hidden email]>
Hello,

I am curious if there is some kind of "SqueakNOS - introduction to
development".
Especially I am interested in porting SqueakNOS to ARM plattform
(namely armadeus APF27 board, see www.armadeus.org) for embedded
applications. Where to start?
I am quite experiencced in programming, even low-level, and quite
familiar with Squeak, but not with lower-level parts (primitives,
plugins, virtual machine).

Greetings,

Petr

Re: [SqNOS] SqNOS devel guide

K K Subbu
On Wednesday 16 Mar 2011 6:17:34 PM Guido Chari wrote:
> It would be really nice to have squeakNOS ported to ARM. I think there is
> already a port to arm for the SqueakVM. I don't know exactly its status.
See http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6010

I cross-compiled 3.9.8 for an ARM platform (Nokia N900) but calling it a
"port" is a stretch. VM 3.9.8 didn't require any tweaks in the code when using
cross-compilation tools. Most of the port actually deals with higher level
stuff - picking out the relevant plugins, configuring the right key/mouse
combinations and so on. For instance, N900 uses a stylus for input and does
not come with an ALT-key.

Then there are hardware-specific plugins - for camera, gps, light sensors,
accelerators etc. This will be hardest part of the "port".

Subbu