Squeak 3.9?

12

Squeak 3.9?

Ron Teitelbaum

All,

As long as we are on the subject about what people are doing I was wondering, for the people using squeak, is anyone using Squeak 3.9 for production or development and how is the stability of 3.9 vs. 3.8?

I’m still hitting some freezing issues with 3.9.

Thanks,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak 3.9?

Philippe Marschall
2007/2/14, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:

> All,
>

> As long as we are on the subject about what people are doing I was
> wondering, for the people using squeak, is anyone using Squeak 3.9 for
> production or development and how is the stability of 3.9 vs. 3.8?

We are, (in)stability is about the same, difference is that the only
patch you need to run against is TTF Font Caching (and made two
DateAndTime patches or use Chronos in the first place).

Philippe

> I'm still hitting some freezing issues with 3.9.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ron Teitelbaum

RE: Squeak 3.9?

Ramon Leon-5
> As long as we are on the subject about what people are doing
> I was wondering, for the people using squeak, is anyone using
> Squeak 3.9 for production or development and how is the
> stability of 3.9 vs. 3.8?
>

> I'm still hitting some freezing issues with 3.9.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ron Teitelbaum

I'm using 3.9 in development and production as well, no issues so far.
Feels faster than 3.8 to me.  Stability about the same, had no big problems
with 3.8 that weren't caused by bad code.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Squeak 3.9?

Avi Bryant-2
On 2/14/07, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As long as we are on the subject about what people are doing I was
> wondering, for the people using squeak, is anyone using Squeak 3.9 for
> production or development and how is the stability of 3.9 vs. 3.8?

We use a version of Pavel's shrunk 3.7 image.  I'm a no frills kinda guy :)

Avi

Re: Squeak 3.9?

Lukas Renggli
> As long as we are on the subject about what people are doing I was
> wondering, for the people using squeak, is anyone using Squeak 3.9 for
> production or development and how is the stability of 3.9 vs. 3.8?

I use 3.9 for development and deployment of industrial application.
Furthermore, all my Seaside, Scriptaculous, Pier and Magritte
development is going on in 3.9.

Squeak 3.9 is noticeably faster than 3.8 and fixes most annoying bugs
related to internalization and wide strings. Moreover it provides a
lot of valuable enhancements (e.g. the pragmas) that I wouldn't want
to miss ...

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: Squeak 3.9?

Ron Teitelbaum
Is this the TTF cache patch you are talking about?

http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/Homebase/Multilingual-ar.17.mcz

Ron

RE: Squeak 3.9?

Ron Teitelbaum
I was considering back porting, so I'm glad to hear it.  I really like 3.9.
I'm sure as was suggested that I am causing my own problems.  I'm doing a
lot of comm and threading, but it seems that I loose gui control often and
even though seaside is still responding and I see transcript messages I can
not get control back!  I still haven't tried the VNC trick so maybe I'll try
that.

Thanks everyone.  I guess if all else fails I'll port to Pavel's 3.7!

Ron

Re: Squeak 3.9?

Adrian Lienhard
sounds familiar... For us using the screenshot application also
helped to revive the image. If you happen to get more data points it
would be worth opening a Mantis report for that issue.

As Lukas and Philippe reported, apart from that issue, 3.9 is working
fine for us.

Adrian

Btw, I wouldn't leave a transcript open, apparently its not thread safe.

On Feb 14, 2007, at 23:58 , Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> I was considering back porting, so I'm glad to hear it.  I really
> like 3.9.
> I'm sure as was suggested that I am causing my own problems.  I'm
> doing a
> lot of comm and threading, but it seems that I loose gui control
> often and
> even though seaside is still responding and I see transcript
> messages I can
> not get control back!  I still haven't tried the VNC trick so maybe
> I'll try
> that.
>
> Thanks everyone.  I guess if all else fails I'll port to Pavel's 3.7!
>
> Ron

Re: Squeak 3.9?

garduino
As I've said before, I develop mainly applications in Spanish language
and with 3.9 I have yet problems with the accented characters (áéíóú).

I must make more extensive tests, mainly check the last versions of
3.9 release, but when tried, the problem existed.

Cheers.

2007/2/14, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:

> All,
>

> As long as we are on the subject about what people are doing I was
> wondering, for the people using squeak, is anyone using Squeak 3.9 for
> production or development and how is the stability of 3.9 vs. 3.8?
>

> I'm still hitting some freezing issues with 3.9.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ron Teitelbaum

Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

Re: Squeak 3.9?

tblanchard
Transcript will crash or hang fairly regularly once it sees a certain amount of data.  It is in the rendering code trying to layout some glyphs.  I haven't had time to track it down - but the bug is in 3.7 and 3.8 for sure.  I now only log update, insert, and delete sql statements.  If I were to log select's, the transcript would crash on every page.

I wish it would get fixed.

On Feb 14, 2007, at 3:42 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

 I wouldn't leave a transcript open, apparently its not thread safe.

Re: Squeak 3.9?

Philippe Marschall
2007/2/14, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:
> Is this the TTF cache patch you are talking about?
>
> http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/Homebase/Multilingual-ar.17.mcz

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-November/111338.html

Philippe

> Ron

Re: Squeak 3.9?

keith1y
Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> I was considering back porting, so I'm glad to hear it.  I really like 3.9.
> I'm sure as was suggested that I am causing my own problems.  I'm doing a
> lot of comm and threading, but it seems that I loose gui control often and
> even though seaside is still responding and I see transcript messages I can
> not get control back!  I still haven't tried the VNC trick so maybe I'll try
> that.
>
> Thanks everyone.  I guess if all else fails I'll port to Pavel's 3.7!
>
> Ron

I found that using vm 3.6-3 solved my instability freezing issues with 3.9

Keith

Re: Squeak 3.9?

NorbertHartl
On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 16:03 -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> As long as we are on the subject about what people are doing I was
> wondering, for the people using squeak, is anyone using Squeak 3.9 for
> production or development and how is the stability of 3.9 vs. 3.8?

Actually last week I thought I have to go back to 3.8. But after
preparing, running and using the image I saw no stability
improvement. And I really don't like the test runner in 3.8 ;)
So, I'm back on 3.9 since two days and I'm quite happy with it.

Norbert

VM bug Mantis 4709 (was Re: Squeak 3.9?)

Adrian Lienhard
On Feb 15, 2007, at 07:53 , Keith Hodges wrote:

> I found that using vm 3.6-3 solved my instability freezing issues
> with 3.9

Interesting..

I thought your image freezing might be related to the VM bug reported
here: http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4709. However, some tests I
did recently show that the bug does not depend on the VM version but
on the Linux kernel version 2.6.

1 - Squeak 3.9-9 VM, Linux 2.6 BUG
2 - Squeak 3.6-3 VM, Linux 2.6 BUG
3 - Squeak 3.7b-5 VM, Linux 2.4 OK
4 - Squeak 3.9-9 VM, Linux 2.4 OK

I updated the Mantis report with more details.

John, I tried what you suggest in this mail http://
lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2006-September/
008981.html. I attached the gc stats files to the Mantis report.

Keith, could you provide a gdb backtrace of a frozen image? Do you
also see the problem when running with -mmap?

Cheers,
Adrian

PS: cross posted to the vm-dev list

Re: Squeak 3.9?

cbeler
Ron Teitelbaum a écrit :

> I was considering back porting, so I'm glad to hear it.  I really like
> 3.9.
> I'm sure as was suggested that I am causing my own problems.  I'm doing a
> lot of comm and threading, but it seems that I loose gui control often
> and
> even though seaside is still responding and I see transcript messages
> I can
> not get control back!  I still haven't tried the VNC trick so maybe
> I'll try
> that.

It looks like the bug I had... and I don't have it anymore...
Was related to Comet (you found that) and I think Lukas changed the
priority of CTPusher (?)...
And since, I don't have GUI feeze anymore

Cédrick

RE: Squeak 3.9?

Ron Teitelbaum
Thanks I'll try that.  I'm on windows and I only see a vm for 3.6-2.  I
suppose that is close enough?

I may try Andreas' new vm too and see if that helps.

Thanks again,

Ron

RE: Squeak 3.9?

Ron Teitelbaum

I've run into that a number of times.  Stuck on a Transcript semaphore!
It's no fun, but easy to get around and still accepts a user interrupt.  I
need the transcript for debugging, it's almost impossible to debug threads
without it.  I remember just recently Bert and I were talking about
modifying the debugger so that it steps into threads (and even opens a new
debugger on the new thread).  I could really use that!!

Ron

RE: Squeak 3.9?

Göran Krampe
Hi!

> I've run into that a number of times.  Stuck on a Transcript semaphore!
> It's no fun, but easy to get around and still accepts a user interrupt.  I
> need the transcript for debugging, it's almost impossible to debug threads
> without it.  I remember just recently Bert and I were talking about
> modifying the debugger so that it steps into threads (and even opens a new
> debugger on the new thread).  I could really use that!!

I have also hacked Transcript a few times to get around that. But in
Gjallar we instead use Q2Log (three classes for logging, really simple)
together with Q2LogMorph that Magnus wrote. (Q2 is the Gjallar prefix)

It is thread safe but above all does some neat tricks looking at the
context sender in order to show that in the log. Then the Q2LogMorph has
three kinds of filtering:

- By log level. We use the syslog levels.
- By free text. Just type something in and press enter.
- By sender. There is a multiselect list up to the left with all senders
"until now".

And oh, another note on this - the SharedStreams package on SqueakMap can
be of help too.

regards, Göran

PS. If you think that Q2Log sounds interesting, drop me a private note and
I will spend the 10 minutes needed to split it out from the Gjallar code.
It is already independent but has no PI of its own yet and is not yet on
SM.

Re: Squeak 3.9?

stephane ducasse
can you try with the latest pavel's image?

I wish the harvesting team would start to move on so that we could
slowly get to the point where we could
use this new miniimage as the basis for squeak.

Stef

On 14 févr. 07, at 23:49, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> Is this the TTF cache patch you are talking about?
>
> http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/Homebase/Multilingual-ar.17.mcz
>
> Ron

Re: Squeak 3.9?

tblanchard
I could totally use that - I'm expanding my use of logging and I'm
not really happy with my current solution.

-Todd Blanchard

On Feb 16, 2007, at 12:56 AM, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> I've run into that a number of times.  Stuck on a Transcript
>> semaphore!
>> It's no fun, but easy to get around and still accepts a user
>> interrupt.  I
>> need the transcript for debugging, it's almost impossible to debug
>> threads
>> without it.  I remember just recently Bert and I were talking about
>> modifying the debugger so that it steps into threads (and even
>> opens a new
>> debugger on the new thread).  I could really use that!!
>
> I have also hacked Transcript a few times to get around that. But in
> Gjallar we instead use Q2Log (three classes for logging, really
> simple)
> together with Q2LogMorph that Magnus wrote. (Q2 is the Gjallar prefix)
>
> It is thread safe but above all does some neat tricks looking at the
> context sender in order to show that in the log. Then the
> Q2LogMorph has
> three kinds of filtering:
>
> - By log level. We use the syslog levels.
> - By free text. Just type something in and press enter.
> - By sender. There is a multiselect list up to the left with all
> senders
> "until now".
>
> And oh, another note on this - the SharedStreams package on
> SqueakMap can
> be of help too.
>
> regards, Göran
>
> PS. If you think that Q2Log sounds interesting, drop me a private
> note and
> I will spend the 10 minutes needed to split it out from the Gjallar
> code.
> It is already independent but has no PI of its own yet and is not
> yet on
> SM.

12