[Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

12

[Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Casey Ransberger
People of Squeak,

Please find Squeak 4.0 at:

I want to thank all of the wonderful people in the community who
banded together to help me get Squeak 4.0 released; it would have
taken me a lot longer without your help.

Casey Ransberger

Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Casey Ransberger
And the brain genius clicks send instead of save. D'oh! Haha, and
guess what? I don't have permissions to create the 4.0 directory,
either.

FAIL

Casey Ransberger

Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Casey Ransberger
Well anyway, it's here until someone moves it to it's final resting place...

http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0alpha/rc5/4.0/

Casey Ransberger

Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Gary Dunn
Eagle, this is Houston, how do you copy? Over.

Eagle, this is Houston, comcheck. Over.

Eagle, we are not receiving you. Over.

Boys, if you hear us, flash your headlights. Over.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]

Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Göran Krampe
Gary Dunn wrote:
> Eagle, this is Houston, how do you copy? Over.
>
> Eagle, this is Houston, comcheck. Over.
>
> Eagle, we are not receiving you. Over.
>
> Boys, if you hear us, flash your headlights. Over.

Ehm, Houston, this is control center Stockholm, we are taking the night
shift here... do you guys need assistance in getting Eagle to land on a
certain runway or something? We have full access to the control tower so
just holler if you need us.

regards, Göran

Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/16/10 7:44 AM, "Göran Krampe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gary Dunn wrote:
>> Eagle, this is Houston, how do you copy? Over.
>>
>> Eagle, this is Houston, comcheck. Over.
>>
>> Eagle, we are not receiving you. Over.
>>
>> Boys, if you hear us, flash your headlights. Over.
>
> Ehm, Houston, this is control center Stockholm, we are taking the night
> shift here... do you guys need assistance in getting Eagle to land on a
> certain runway or something? We have full access to the control tower so
> just holler if you need us.
>
> regards, Göran

We watch in our Zenith black and white TV and then go to street to see the
Moon.

How many of Squeakers see the real landing ? Some seems too young...

Edgar

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> How many of Squeakers see the real landing ? Some seems too young...

Hey, "some"?! Most I guess. I was *born* 1969.

regards, Göran

Ok, I made the release! Hooray!!! Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Göran Krampe

Re: Ok, I made the release! Hooray!!! Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/16/10 8:30 AM, "Göran Krampe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0

Squeak4.0-basic <http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0/Squeak4.0-basic.zip>

We have any not basic for 4.0?
Clarify, please.

> For 3.10.1 the release team abandoned the policy of issuing updates
> by modifying a repository of core packages and reverted to the old
> style of simple changesets in the update stream.  As a result of
> this the Monticello Browser shows that some of the packages have
> been modified in the local image but not saved to the repository.

False.
If we go to simple changesets , I would not have had to pull my hair for 18
months

Could use simple changesets for 4.1 ?
At less until the Closures enter to the system , then take the current trunk
policy until.... .
When 4.1 ends ?

O maybe I should wait until people speak with his vote ?

Edgar

Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Igor Stasenko
2010/3/16 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:

> Gary Dunn wrote:
>>
>> Eagle, this is Houston, how do you copy? Over.
>>
>> Eagle, this is Houston, comcheck. Over.
>>
>> Eagle, we are not receiving you. Over.
>>
>> Boys, if you hear us, flash your headlights. Over.
>
> Ehm, Houston, this is control center Stockholm, we are taking the night
> shift here... do you guys need assistance in getting Eagle to land on a
> certain runway or something? We have full access to the control tower so
> just holler if you need us.

Stockholm, this is a Kiev. We're tracking a trajectory and
meteorological conditions.
All clear, proceed with landing.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Ok, I made the release! Hooray!!! Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/16/10 8:30 AM, "Göran Krampe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0
>>

> Squeak4.0-basic <http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0/Squeak4.0-basic.zip>
>

> We have any not basic for 4.0?
> Clarify, please.
I guess because only the code in this image is license clean.

>> For 3.10.1 the release team abandoned the policy of issuing updates
>> by modifying a repository of core packages and reverted to the old
>> style of simple changesets in the update stream.  As a result of
>> this the Monticello Browser shows that some of the packages have
>> been modified in the local image but not saved to the repository.
>

> False.
> If we go to simple changesets , I would not have had to pull my hair for 18
> months
>
> Could use simple changesets for 4.1 ?
> At less until the Closures enter to the system , then take the current trunk
> policy until.... .
Why do you think changesets are better than monticello packages + configurations?

> When 4.1 ends ?

Good question.

Levente

On 3/16/10 9:07 AM, "Levente Uzonyi" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why do you think changesets are better than monticello packages +
> configurations?
No.
Now I think Monticello is better.
But the point is out of CoreDevelopers exist many fine Squeakers having a
hard time with Monticello.

If they put his .cs in Mantis, could be harvested and integrate.
And exist the subject 3.10 and 4.0 do not have the trunk process.
It's why again I raise the subject of the version boundary.
Closures have the collateral effect of many incompatibilities between 3.10
or 4.0 and 4.1.

Here I attach the updates coming from trunk I send many time ago , updated.

Put in the same folder as 4.0 , unzip
>From inside 4.0 do Utilities applyUpdatesFromDisk.

See the process brokes with 7218Compiler-ar.68.cs ?
So maybe this is the boundary.

Here we could add the logic for trunk we use today, no the logic we use
several months ago.
Now we know more as some months ago, so why wait and have inferior code ?

Edgar

updates.tgz (94K) Download Attachment

Touchdown! (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released)

Göran Krampe
Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2010/3/16 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:
>> Gary Dunn wrote:
>>> Eagle, this is Houston, how do you copy? Over.
>>>
>>> Eagle, this is Houston, comcheck. Over.
>>>
>>> Eagle, we are not receiving you. Over.
>>>
>>> Boys, if you hear us, flash your headlights. Over.
>> Ehm, Houston, this is control center Stockholm, we are taking the night
>> shift here... do you guys need assistance in getting Eagle to land on a
>> certain runway or something? We have full access to the control tower so
>> just holler if you need us.
>>

> Stockholm, this is a Kiev. We're tracking a trajectory and
> meteorological conditions.
> All clear, proceed with landing.

That is affirmative, we just got confirmation that the Eagle indeed made
a touchdown on runway 4. The heat shield looks intact from here.

Over and out.

/Stockholm control center

Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Giovanni Corriga
Congrats guys!

This is an event that warrants a proper press release, isn't it?

     Giovanni

2010/3/16 Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]>:

> Well anyway, it's here until someone moves it to it's final resting place...
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0alpha/rc5/4.0/
>
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Casey Ransberger
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> And the brain genius clicks send instead of save. D'oh! Haha, and
>> guess what? I don't have permissions to create the 4.0 directory,
>> either.
>>
>> FAIL
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Casey Ransberger
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> People of Squeak,
>>>
>>> Please find Squeak 4.0 at:
>>>

>>> I want to thank all of the wonderful people in the community who
>>> banded together to help me get Squeak 4.0 released; it would have
>>> taken me a lot longer without your help.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Casey Ransberger
>>>

>> --
>> Casey Ransberger
>>

> --
> Casey Ransberger

Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

garduino
I was born in 1963 and I recall perfectly the day....on an old B&W TV......

I remember that was very impressive to me on these times, being a child.

Germán.

2010/3/16 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:

> Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>
>> How many of Squeakers see the real landing ? Some seems too young...
>
> Hey, "some"?! Most I guess. I was *born* 1969.
>
> regards, Göran

Re: Touchdown! (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released)

Bert Freudenberg
On 16.03.2010, at 12:16, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> Ehm, Houston, this is control center Stockholm, we are taking the night
>>> shift here... do you guys need assistance in getting Eagle to land on a
>>> certain runway or something? We have full access to the control tower so
>>> just holler if you need us.
>>>
>> Stockholm, this is a Kiev. We're tracking a trajectory and
>> meteorological conditions.
>> All clear, proceed with landing.
>
> That is affirmative, we just got confirmation that the Eagle indeed made a touchdown on runway 4. The heat shield looks intact from here.
>
> Over and out.
>
> /Stockholm control center

Awesome job guys! Congrats from Germany!

- Bert -

Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Randal L. Schwartz

Edgar> How many of Squeakers see the real landing ? Some seems too young...

/me raises hand!

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

[OT] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

CdAB63
Em 16-03-2010 12:14, Randal L. Schwartz escreveu:

> Edgar> How many of Squeakers see the real landing ? Some seems too young...
>
> /me raises hand!

My hands raised too...

July 1969. Real nice day off school. B&W Admiral TV (valved). No
computers or even calculators around (only transistor thing close was a
Philips Transglobe radio)... In Brazil military government ruled and in
August would issue the infamous AI-5. My home was still surrounded by
green areas (fortunately much of those areas are still preserved today).
No drug dealers around.

Now, back to smalltalk.

Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

CdAB63

> Edgar> How many of Squeakers see the real landing ? Some seems too young...

It would really be excellent if most of them were too young.
> /me raises hand!

Re: [Squeak 4.0] The Eagle Has Landed: Squeak 4.0 is Released

Ken G. Brown
At 11:25 AM +0100 3/16/10, Göran Krampe apparently wrote:
>Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>How many of Squeakers see the real landing ? Some seems too young...
>
>Hey, "some"?! Most I guess. I was *born* 1969.
>
>regards, Göran

Hey, he said 'some' and meant it! :)
I was travelling in Europe for the summer at the time and caught the landing from our hotel lobby in London.

Ken G. Brown

12