Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2

123

Re: Edgar from the Ostracism Re: Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you for the description of the process of getting old projects
into Squeak 4.1. In particular I would like to see the piano roll
demonstration project (playing of MIDI files) working in 4.1.
This was always a very nice demo of the possibilities of Squeak.

Do you have a link to the project file? Or do we just need to dig it
out from an earlier release?

Hannes

On 4/9/10, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/8/10 12:47 PM, "Hannes Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Edgar
>>
>> would it be possible to try out if some of your Morphic projects you
>> have there still work in Squeak 4.1? Or could  you send the link to
>> the project files?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Hannes
>
> No, at this point 4.1 can't load old .pr in my knowledge.
> The test with John 4.2.4 VM also fails.
> I convert by hand.
>
> So for now you need export first the .cs of your old .pr.
> Next you should export all .morph in your World .
> And import into the target .image.
> This is cumbersome but works.
>
> When time lets I try to see if you could make a automatic .sar which have
> the .cs and all .morph into.
> Thinks this could work for having old projects into.
>
> The another issue with old projects is in most cases use classes not in 4.1.
> For this I have SL3dot11 and his DNU look up in the server for re - load any
> 'missed' class.
>
> SL3dot11  is SqueakCore with minor changes and I polish for solve all
> issues.
>

> Edgar

Re: Edgar from the Ostracism Re: Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2

Edgar De Cleene

On 4/9/10 6:57 AM, "Hannes Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the description of the process of getting old projects
> into Squeak 4.1. In particular I would like to see the piano roll
> demonstration project (playing of MIDI files) working in 4.1.
> This was always a very nice demo of the possibilities of Squeak.
>
> Do you have a link to the project file? Or do we just need to dig it
> out from an earlier release?
>
> Hannes

This is on FunSqueak image, ready to run.
And the first converted .pr with old games in SqueakMap no work in 4.1 , but
work at the time I made it.
So I need see the changes in the image.

Later today I send some more about.

Edgar

Re: Edgar from the Ostracism Re: Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2

Edgar De Cleene
> On 4/9/10 6:57 AM, "Hannes Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Thank you for the description of the process of getting old projects
>> into Squeak 4.1. In particular I would like to see the piano roll
>> demonstration project (playing of MIDI files) working in 4.1.
>> This was always a very nice demo of the possibilities of Squeak.
>>
>> Do you have a link to the project file? Or do we just need to dig it
>> out from an earlier release?
>>
>> Hannes
>

> This is on FunSqueak image, ready to run.
> And the first converted .pr with old games in SqueakMap no work in 4.1 , but
> work at the time I made it.
> So I need see the changes in the image.
>
> Later today I send some more about.
>
> Edgar
More feedback for the old midi project.
I put into
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/account/package/717d8f2c-351d-4552-a4b7-311
f2e428629

More About Sound

Some time ago.

Now do not load into last 4.1
I found someone rip ComponentLikeModel, SL3dot11 found and load from server.
But at some point SystemWindowButton was introduced to system later I do the
project and later I start SL3dot11 , so no luck to this time.

I refused to do new versions of all each time any change the game rules.
As I said, no plans, no directions ,no coordination.
If only have time for feed PharoCore with all needed for load old
projects....

Edgar

ComponentLikeModel.st (6K) Download Attachment
SystemWindowButton.st (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Edgar from the Ostracism Re: Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2

Josh Gargus

On Apr 8, 2010, at 4:30 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

Only one question.
Could we have some similar to
Utilities readNextUpdateFromServer retrieving only the next logic .mcz
coming from trunk?
This one ?
Utilities updateFromServerThroughUpdateNumber:

I don't see why not; we would update through Monticello Configurations instead of change-sets.  I'm not sure whether there's a way to do this already, but it doesn't look like it would be difficult to modify MCMcmUpdater class>>updateFromRepositories to do this.

Cheers,
Josh

Changesets from Monticello (Re: Edgar from the Ostracism Re: Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2)

Andreas.Raab
On 4/6/2010 10:34 AM, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Now I'm speaking just for myself. Cuis doesn't include Monticello. My
> experience with Monticello has been different. I chose not to include
> it. I can go in more detail, but you know Monticello's strengths and
> weaknesses as well as I do. So, to integrate stuff from Squeak, I need
> to create some change sets. That task could be automated and save a
> little time.

Okay, here you go. Attached some changes that allow one to create change
sets from the MC updates. Use it like here:

MCMcmUpdater
        generateChangeSets: 'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'
        from: 1 to: 145.

This takes the configuration maps and for each package in the map it
creates a change set from the previous config map. The result is an
accumulated change set that covers all the MC packages from the previous
config map (it could be extended to also cover each intermediate version
but that's left as an exercise for the reader).

One word of advice though. You won't be able to just load these change
sets and assume they'll work. Monticello loading has much improved and
is now superior to change set handling since it doesn't load one method
after another. So you'll have trouble to load stuff like compiler
changes and very likely the closure updates.

If you don't want to run the process yourself, you can also download all
the updates from

   http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/updates4.0-4.1.zip

Let me know if this is in any form useful to you. I find it completely
useless, but that's just me.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

MCFileout-ar.cs (9K) Download Attachment
123