Squeak 4.2 Installer for Windows

Ian Trudel-2
Dear Squeakers,

Squeak Installer is now open source and available at
http://code.google.com/p/squeak-installer/. I have rewritten the code
for the Squeak installer and made it simpler to update. It's possibly
compatible with other Squeak variants (Pharo, Cuis, etc). The source
is available for your consideration and contributions. A generated
installer is available in the download page. I'd be grateful that some
people in the community would try it and report if any problem arise.

Enjoy,
Ian.

Re: Squeak 4.2 Installer for Windows

Chris Muller-4
Thanks Ian!  I will download, test and upload right away.  One quick
question:  What does the 110205 in the filename represent?

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Ian Trudel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
> Squeak Installer is now open source and available at
> http://code.google.com/p/squeak-installer/. I have rewritten the code
> for the Squeak installer and made it simpler to update. It's possibly
> compatible with other Squeak variants (Pharo, Cuis, etc). The source
> is available for your consideration and contributions. A generated
> installer is available in the download page. I'd be grateful that some
> people in the community would try it and report if any problem arise.
>
> Enjoy,
> Ian.

Re: Squeak 4.2 Installer for Windows

Ken G. Brown
I'm wondering whether there might be some way of naming it so that there would be less confusion with Installer from <http://www.squeaksource.com/Installer.html?>
<http://installer.pbworks.com/w/page/19997680/FrontPage>
<http://installer.pbworks.com/w/page/19997682/Installer>

Ken

At 11:24 AM -0500 2/5/11, Ian Trudel apparently wrote:

>Dear Squeakers,
>
>Squeak Installer is now open source and available at
>http://code.google.com/p/squeak-installer/. I have rewritten the code
>for the Squeak installer and made it simpler to update. It's possibly
>compatible with other Squeak variants (Pharo, Cuis, etc). The source
>is available for your consideration and contributions. A generated
>installer is available in the download page. I'd be grateful that some
>people in the community would try it and report if any problem arise.
>
>Enjoy,
>Ian.

Re: Squeak 4.2 Installer for Windows

Frank Shearar
On 2011/02/05 17:17, Chris Muller wrote:
> Thanks Ian!  I will download, test and upload right away.  One quick
> question:  What does the 110205 in the filename represent?

2011/02/05, I would imagine...

frank

> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Ian Trudel<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Dear Squeakers,
>>
>> Squeak Installer is now open source and available at
>> http://code.google.com/p/squeak-installer/. I have rewritten the code
>> for the Squeak installer and made it simpler to update. It's possibly
>> compatible with other Squeak variants (Pharo, Cuis, etc). The source
>> is available for your consideration and contributions. A generated
>> installer is available in the download page. I'd be grateful that some
>> people in the community would try it and report if any problem arise.
>>
>> Enjoy,
>> Ian.

Re: Squeak 4.2 Installer for Windows

Chris Muller-3
Those other installers are pretty far out from a
potential-Squeak-newbie venturing to squeak.org to get started.  By
the time they're looking at SqueakSource, they'll be figuring out
that's a place for installing packages within Squeak.  "Installer"
seems appropriate nomenclature in all cases..

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm wondering whether there might be some way of naming it so that there would be less confusion with Installer from <http://www.squeaksource.com/Installer.html?>
> <http://installer.pbworks.com/w/page/19997680/FrontPage>
> <http://installer.pbworks.com/w/page/19997682/Installer>
>
> Ken
>
> At 11:24 AM -0500 2/5/11, Ian Trudel apparently wrote:
>>Dear Squeakers,
>>
>>Squeak Installer is now open source and available at
>>http://code.google.com/p/squeak-installer/. I have rewritten the code
>>for the Squeak installer and made it simpler to update. It's possibly
>>compatible with other Squeak variants (Pharo, Cuis, etc). The source
>>is available for your consideration and contributions. A generated
>>installer is available in the download page. I'd be grateful that some
>>people in the community would try it and report if any problem arise.
>>
>>Enjoy,
>>Ian.

Re: Squeak 4.2 Installer for Windows

Chris Muller-4
That's a great-looking install splash screen!  :)  It all worked,
including the uninstall.

It's now available from ftp.squeak.org/4.2/win.

 - Chris

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Ian Trudel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
> Squeak Installer is now open source and available at
> http://code.google.com/p/squeak-installer/. I have rewritten the code
> for the Squeak installer and made it simpler to update. It's possibly
> compatible with other Squeak variants (Pharo, Cuis, etc). The source
> is available for your consideration and contributions. A generated
> installer is available in the download page. I'd be grateful that some
> people in the community would try it and report if any problem arise.
>
> Enjoy,
> Ian.

Re: Squeak 4.2 Installer for Windows

Torsten Bergmann
On 2011/02/05 17:17, Chris Muller wrote:
> Thanks Ian!  I will download, test and upload right away.  One quick
> question:  What does the 110205 in the filename represent?

Hi Chris,

Thats just the date. I wrote the original NSIS installer script
to provide a setup for Pharo and later for Squeak too.
Thanks to Ian this work is not lost and now finds a new home.

When I wrote the initial version all packaged Pharo images
had the "build date" in its name since from time to time
there was (beside the usual update mechanism) a read to run image
uploaded on the INRIA server and this date was the only possibility
to see which package was newer.

Since I provided the Installer files in parallel I used the
same convention for the Pharo installer. Dont know if that
makes sense for Squeak since AFAIK full releases like 4.2 only happen
from time to time.

However: you should note the following, the executable for
the Windows VM has a VERSION ressource section. Andreas has
integrated this in the VM sources after I suggested it.

So you can right click on the *.exe and look at its version - like
in any other windows executable.

This version number is also important for the setup, if the MSI
(Microsoft installer) installer program finds a higher version
of the exe it might not install the one from the setup package
(since the file on disk is already newer).

Also the NSIS file includes a version (see the script) and this
should always increment. This version is shown in the windows
control panel (the one where you can remove installed programs).

Bye
Torsten