Squeak 4.4 release todo list

Frank Shearar-3
Hi folks,

Apologies for the silence: things have been a bit busy.

Test wise we're looking pretty good. We still have a few red lights but I don't see much point in delaying further: some of the test failures are because of VM sensitivities.

Off the top of my head we/I still need to write a changelog, and otherwise a bunch of infrastructural stuff's all that's needed: a new update stream, switching it over, etc. I wrote a ReleaseBuilder script but of course should actually publish it.

I've also nearly finished the new background, and just need to figure out how to clean the edges of the pic to make it tile properly. Given I'm writing this mail on my phone I will have to mail the proposed image separately, at a later stage.

Anyone spot anything missing off the swiki release page?

frank

Re: Squeak 4.4 release todo list

Ben Coman
Frank Shearar wrote:
>  just need to figure out how to clean the edges of the pic to make it tile properly.
Making Seamless Background Tiles
http://graphicssoft.about.com/library/weekly/aa080499p2.htm

On 21 November 2012 14:39, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Apologies for the silence: things have been a bit busy.
>
> Test wise we're looking pretty good. We still have a few red lights but I don't see much point in delaying further: some of the test failures are because of VM sensitivities.
>
> Off the top of my head we/I still need to write a changelog, and otherwise a bunch of infrastructural stuff's all that's needed: a new update stream, switching it over, etc. I wrote a ReleaseBuilder script but of course should actually publish it.
>
> I've also nearly finished the new background, and just need to figure out how to clean the edges of the pic to make it tile properly. Given I'm writing this mail on my phone I will have to mail the proposed image separately, at a later stage.

For better or worse, here it is. Test it with

    ActiveWorld color: (InfiniteForm with: (PNGReadWriter
readFromFileNamed: 'my/path/to/blur_ulam_1.png'))

Note the strange vertical white-ish line between the tiles. The image
is filled all the way to the edge, but the left and right edges differ
sufficiently to create the artifact. I'm not sure how to get rid of
it, never having attempted to make a tile-able image before.

> Anyone spot anything missing off the swiki release page?

That would be http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6188.

frank

blur_ulam_1.png (47K) Download Attachment

Re: Squeak 4.4 release todo list

Derek O'Connell-3
On 21/11/12 15:53, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 21 November 2012 14:39, Frank Shearar<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Apologies for the silence: things have been a bit busy.
>>
>> Test wise we're looking pretty good. We still have a few red lights but I don't see much point in delaying further: some of the test failures are because of VM sensitivities.
>>
>> Off the top of my head we/I still need to write a changelog, and otherwise a bunch of infrastructural stuff's all that's needed: a new update stream, switching it over, etc. I wrote a ReleaseBuilder script but of course should actually publish it.
>>
>> I've also nearly finished the new background, and just need to figure out how to clean the edges of the pic to make it tile properly. Given I'm writing this mail on my phone I will have to mail the proposed image separately, at a later stage.
> For better or worse, here it is. Test it with
>
>      ActiveWorld color: (InfiniteForm with: (PNGReadWriter
> readFromFileNamed: 'my/path/to/blur_ulam_1.png'))
>
> Note the strange vertical white-ish line between the tiles. The image
> is filled all the way to the edge, but the left and right edges differ
> sufficiently to create the artifact. I'm not sure how to get rid of
> it, never having attempted to make a tile-able image before.
>
>> Anyone spot anything missing off the swiki release page?
> That would be http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6188.
>
> frank

Will this do? Done in Gimp in two ticks :-)

blur_ulam_1_seamless.png (24K) Download Attachment

On 21 November 2012 16:49, Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/11/12 15:53, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>
>> On 21 November 2012 14:39, Frank Shearar<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Apologies for the silence: things have been a bit busy.
>>>
>>> Test wise we're looking pretty good. We still have a few red lights but I
>>> don't see much point in delaying further: some of the test failures are
>>> because of VM sensitivities.
>>>
>>> Off the top of my head we/I still need to write a changelog, and
>>> otherwise a bunch of infrastructural stuff's all that's needed: a new update
>>> stream, switching it over, etc. I wrote a ReleaseBuilder script but of
>>> course should actually publish it.
>>>
>>> I've also nearly finished the new background, and just need to figure out
>>> how to clean the edges of the pic to make it tile properly. Given I'm
>>> writing this mail on my phone I will have to mail the proposed image
>>> separately, at a later stage.
>>
>> For better or worse, here it is. Test it with
>>
>>      ActiveWorld color: (InfiniteForm with: (PNGReadWriter
>> readFromFileNamed: 'my/path/to/blur_ulam_1.png'))
>>
>> Note the strange vertical white-ish line between the tiles. The image
>> is filled all the way to the edge, but the left and right edges differ
>> sufficiently to create the artifact. I'm not sure how to get rid of
>> it, never having attempted to make a tile-able image before.
>>
>>> Anyone spot anything missing off the swiki release page?
>>
>> That would be http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6188.
>>
>> frank
>>

> Will this do? Done in Gimp in two ticks :-)

Only if you tell me how you did that! I had a brief look over the
Gimp's menus (because that's how I made the image in the first place),
but nothing leapt out at me. I'm not sure whether I prefer the
diamond-ish look or the rectilinear look now, but that's an OK problem
to have :).

frank

On 21/11/12 17:03, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 21 November 2012 16:49, Derek O'Connell<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> For better or worse, here it is. Test it with
>>>
>>>       ActiveWorld color: (InfiniteForm with: (PNGReadWriter
>>> readFromFileNamed: 'my/path/to/blur_ulam_1.png'))
>>>
>>> Note the strange vertical white-ish line between the tiles. The image
>>> is filled all the way to the edge, but the left and right edges differ
>>> sufficiently to create the artifact. I'm not sure how to get rid of
>>> it, never having attempted to make a tile-able image before.

>>> That would be http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6188.
>>>
>>> frank
>>>

>> Will this do? Done in Gimp in two ticks :-)
> Only if you tell me how you did that! I had a brief look over the
> Gimp's menus (because that's how I made the image in the first place),
> but nothing leapt out at me. I'm not sure whether I prefer the
> diamond-ish look or the rectilinear look now, but that's an OK problem
> to have :).
>
> frank

Gimp v2.6.12, Filters/Map/Make Seamless, and if it you don't have that
menu option...

http://registry.gimp.org/taxonomy/term/956

On 21 November 2012 17:10, Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/11/12 17:03, Frank Shearar wrote:

>>> Will this do? Done in Gimp in two ticks :-)
>>
>> Only if you tell me how you did that! I had a brief look over the
>> Gimp's menus (because that's how I made the image in the first place),
>> but nothing leapt out at me. I'm not sure whether I prefer the
>> diamond-ish look or the rectilinear look now, but that's an OK problem
>> to have :).
>>
>> frank
>>

> Gimp v2.6.12, Filters/Map/Make Seamless, and if it you don't have that menu
> option...
>
> http://registry.gimp.org/taxonomy/term/956

Nice! Thanks!

frank

Re: Squeak 4.4 release todo list

Karl Ramberg
For Windows the fix I made make the test error go away.
I'm not sure it is a good fix.

Karl

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Apologies for the silence: things have been a bit busy.
>
> Test wise we're looking pretty good. We still have a few red lights but I don't see much point in delaying further: some of the test failures are because of VM sensitivities.
>
> Off the top of my head we/I still need to write a changelog, and otherwise a bunch of infrastructural stuff's all that's needed: a new update stream, switching it over, etc. I wrote a ReleaseBuilder script but of course should actually publish it.
>
> I've also nearly finished the new background, and just need to figure out how to clean the edges of the pic to make it tile properly. Given I'm writing this mail on my phone I will have to mail the proposed image separately, at a later stage.
>
> Anyone spot anything missing off the swiki release page?
>
> frank

Re: Squeak 4.4 release todo list

Bob Arning-2
It's always fun to try it with Squeak. convert the form to 32 bits and try this:

0 to: self height - 1 do: [ :y |
    self colorAt: self width-1@y put: ((self colorAt: 0@y) mixed: 0.5 with: (self colorAt: self width-2@y)).
    self colorAt: 0@y put: ((self colorAt: 2@y) mixed: 0.5 with: (self colorAt: self width-1@y))
].

Seems to fuzz it up pretty well.

Cheers,
Bob

On 21 November 2012 18:22, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's always fun to try it with Squeak. convert the form to 32 bits and try
> this:
>
> 0 to: self height - 1 do: [ :y |
>     self colorAt: self width-1@y put: ((self colorAt: 0@y) mixed: 0.5 with:
> (self colorAt: self width-2@y)).
>     self colorAt: 0@y put: ((self colorAt: 2@y) mixed: 0.5 with: (self
> colorAt: self width-1@y))
> ].
>
> Seems to fuzz it up pretty well.

That's exactly what I'd like to do. The form's an 8 bit ColorForm
though, and doesn't like depths > 8. So I thought I'd be extra clever
and make a 32 bit form and copy the bits:

| form |
form := PNGReadWriter formFromFileNamed:
'/home/frank/Downloads/blur_ulam_1.png'.
form := (Form extent: form extent depth: 32) bits: form bits.
0 to: form height - 1 do: [ :y |
        form
                colorAt: form width-1@y
                put: ((form colorAt: 0@y)
                        mixed: 0.5
                        with: (form colorAt: form width-2@y)).
        form
                colorAt: 0@y
                put: ((form colorAt: 2@y)
                        mixed: 0.5
                        with: (form colorAt: form width-1@y)) asFloat
].

ActiveWorld color: (InfiniteForm with: form)

However, I still can't run the script, because I get an "Error: Bad
BitBlt arg (Fraction?). I can't even just wrap-and-resume the Error
because, of course, Error is not resumable.

Ideas? What am I missing?

frank

> Cheers,
> Bob
>
> On 11/21/12 10:53 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
> On 21 November 2012 14:39, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Apologies for the silence: things have been a bit busy.
>
> Test wise we're looking pretty good. We still have a few red lights but I
> don't see much point in delaying further: some of the test failures are
> because of VM sensitivities.
>
> Off the top of my head we/I still need to write a changelog, and otherwise a
> bunch of infrastructural stuff's all that's needed: a new update stream,
> switching it over, etc. I wrote a ReleaseBuilder script but of course should
> actually publish it.
>
> I've also nearly finished the new background, and just need to figure out
> how to clean the edges of the pic to make it tile properly. Given I'm
> writing this mail on my phone I will have to mail the proposed image
> separately, at a later stage.
>
> For better or worse, here it is. Test it with
>
>     ActiveWorld color: (InfiniteForm with: (PNGReadWriter
> readFromFileNamed: 'my/path/to/blur_ulam_1.png'))
>
> Note the strange vertical white-ish line between the tiles. The image
> is filled all the way to the edge, but the left and right edges differ
> sufficiently to create the artifact. I'm not sure how to get rid of
> it, never having attempted to make a tile-able image before.
>
> Anyone spot anything missing off the swiki release page?
>
> That would be http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6188.
>
> frank

Re: Squeak 4.4 release todo list

Bert Freudenberg

On 2012-11-22, at 14:27, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21 November 2012 18:22, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's always fun to try it with Squeak. convert the form to 32 bits and try
>> this:
>>
>> 0 to: self height - 1 do: [ :y |
>>    self colorAt: self width-1@y put: ((self colorAt: 0@y) mixed: 0.5 with:
>> (self colorAt: self width-2@y)).
>>    self colorAt: 0@y put: ((self colorAt: 2@y) mixed: 0.5 with: (self
>> colorAt: self width-1@y))
>> ].
>>
>> Seems to fuzz it up pretty well.
>
> That's exactly what I'd like to do. The form's an 8 bit ColorForm
> though, and doesn't like depths > 8. So I thought I'd be extra clever
> and make a 32 bit form and copy the bits:
>
> | form |
> form := PNGReadWriter formFromFileNamed:
> '/home/frank/Downloads/blur_ulam_1.png'.
> form := (Form extent: form extent depth: 32) bits: form bits.

You can't just use an 8 bit form's bits in a 32 bit form. Use asFormOfDepth:.

- Bert -

On 22 November 2012 14:27, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-11-22, at 14:27, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 21 November 2012 18:22, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> It's always fun to try it with Squeak. convert the form to 32 bits and try
>>> this:
>>>
>>> 0 to: self height - 1 do: [ :y |
>>>    self colorAt: self width-1@y put: ((self colorAt: 0@y) mixed: 0.5 with:
>>> (self colorAt: self width-2@y)).
>>>    self colorAt: 0@y put: ((self colorAt: 2@y) mixed: 0.5 with: (self
>>> colorAt: self width-1@y))
>>> ].
>>>
>>> Seems to fuzz it up pretty well.
>>
>> That's exactly what I'd like to do. The form's an 8 bit ColorForm
>> though, and doesn't like depths > 8. So I thought I'd be extra clever
>> and make a 32 bit form and copy the bits:
>>
>> | form |
>> form := PNGReadWriter formFromFileNamed:
>> '/home/frank/Downloads/blur_ulam_1.png'.
>> form := (Form extent: form extent depth: 32) bits: form bits.
>
> You can't just use an 8 bit form's bits in a 32 bit form. Use asFormOfDepth:.

Ah! That works. OK, so I need just fix the horizontal glitch in a
similar manner and I'll be happy.

Thanks, Bert!

frank

> - Bert -
>
>> 0 to: form height - 1 do: [ :y |
>>       form
>>               colorAt: form width-1@y
>>               put: ((form colorAt: 0@y)
>>                       mixed: 0.5
>>                       with: (form colorAt: form width-2@y)).
>>       form
>>               colorAt: 0@y
>>               put: ((form colorAt: 2@y)
>>                       mixed: 0.5
>>                       with: (form colorAt: form width-1@y)) asFloat
>> ].
>>
>> ActiveWorld color: (InfiniteForm with: form)
>>
>> However, I still can't run the script, because I get an "Error: Bad
>> BitBlt arg (Fraction?). I can't even just wrap-and-resume the Error
>> because, of course, Error is not resumable.
>>
>> Ideas? What am I missing?
>>
>> frank
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bob
>>>
>>> On 11/21/12 10:53 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>>
>>> On 21 November 2012 14:39, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Apologies for the silence: things have been a bit busy.
>>>
>>> Test wise we're looking pretty good. We still have a few red lights but I
>>> don't see much point in delaying further: some of the test failures are
>>> because of VM sensitivities.
>>>
>>> Off the top of my head we/I still need to write a changelog, and otherwise a
>>> bunch of infrastructural stuff's all that's needed: a new update stream,
>>> switching it over, etc. I wrote a ReleaseBuilder script but of course should
>>> actually publish it.
>>>
>>> I've also nearly finished the new background, and just need to figure out
>>> how to clean the edges of the pic to make it tile properly. Given I'm
>>> writing this mail on my phone I will have to mail the proposed image
>>> separately, at a later stage.
>>>
>>> For better or worse, here it is. Test it with
>>>
>>>    ActiveWorld color: (InfiniteForm with: (PNGReadWriter
>>> readFromFileNamed: 'my/path/to/blur_ulam_1.png'))
>>>
>>> Note the strange vertical white-ish line between the tiles. The image
>>> is filled all the way to the edge, but the left and right edges differ
>>> sufficiently to create the artifact. I'm not sure how to get rid of
>>> it, never having attempted to make a tile-able image before.
>>>
>>> Anyone spot anything missing off the swiki release page?
>>>
>>> That would be http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6188.
>>>
>>> frank

Re: Squeak 4.4 release todo list

Bob Arning-2
You could also just swap some of the pixels:

| w h f |
f := (PNGReadWriter formFromFileNamed: '/Users/bob/squeak/Squeak4.3/blur_ulam_1.png') asFormOfDepth: 32.
w := f width - 1.
h := f height - 1.
0 to: h by: 2 do: [ :y || c |
    c := f colorAt: 0@y.
    f colorAt: 0@y put: (f colorAt: w@y).
    f colorAt: w@y put: c.
].
0 to: w by: 2 do: [ :x || c |
    c := f colorAt: x@0.
    f colorAt: x@0 put: (f colorAt: x@h).
    f colorAt: x@h put: c.
].

Re: Squeak 4.4 release todo list

Frank Shearar-3
This gives a slightly (as in "I can see it with a MagnifierMorph but
otherwise not) cleaner horizontal join, together with your original
nice vertical join:

| form |
form := (PNGReadWriter formFromFileNamed:
'/home/frank/Documents/squeak/blur_ulam_1.png') asFormOfDepth: 32.

0 to: form height - 1 do: [ :y |
        form
                colorAt: form width-1@y
                put: ((form colorAt: 0@y)
                        mixed: 0.5
                        with: (form colorAt: form width-2@y)).
        form
                colorAt: 0@y
                put: ((form colorAt: 2@y)
                        mixed: 0.5
                        with: (form colorAt: form width-1@y))
].

0 to: form width do: [:x | | top bottom |
        top := form colorAt: x@0.
        bottom := form colorAt: x@(form height - 1).
        form colorAt: x@0 put: (top mixed: 0.5 with: bottom).
        form colorAt: x@(form height - 1) put: (top mixed: 0.5 with: bottom)].

ActiveWorld color: (InfiniteForm with: form).

"MagnifierMorph newRound openInWorld"