Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

Edwin Ancaer
I tried this on FreeBSD 11.1, but it did not seem to work anymore?

Should this still be possible to get squeak running on FreeBSD 11?

I did a make install with the environment variables set as:

[edwin@ottopedi ~]$ echo $CFLAGS
-O0
[edwin@ottopedi ~]$ echo $WITH_DEBUG
yes

On executing the command:

squeak /usr/local/lib/squeak/Squeak4.6-15102.image

I got a coredump with the following backtrace

((gdb) bt
#0  0x0806c91e in commonVariableatcacheIndex ()
#1  0x0806c61b in commonAt ()
#2  0x0805c3ba in primitiveAt ()
#3  0x08069138 in interpret ()
#4  0x080795ec in main ()

Thanks,

Edwin Ancaer

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

David T. Lewis
Hi Edwin,

I do not have FreeBSD to check, but it looks like the instructions you are
following my refer to some out of date packages. It is quite likely that the
normal build instructions for Unix systems will work for you:

 http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354

Unfortunately you cannot run the build script at the moment, the source server
at squeakvm.org has been under hacker attack recently from sites in Korea and
China, and seems to be temporarily out of disk space as a result. I've sent
email to Ian Piumarta and hopefully it will be back to normal in a day or so.

Dave

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 05:32:24AM +0200, Edwin Ancaer wrote:

> In a post from Milan Vavra, pointed to by
> https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj1yq_ozIPbAhXCalAKHZkDAB8QFgg0MAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmilanvavra.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F01%2F31%2Fsqueak-4-6-installation-on-32bit-freebsd-10-3%2F&usg=AOvVaw3U7_2Db95P7sW5X4e6fd6b,
>
> the way to compile the Squeak-port to get squeak running on FreeBSD 10/3 is
> described.
>
> I tried this on FreeBSD 11.1, but it did not seem to work anymore?
>
> Should this still be possible to get squeak running on FreeBSD 11?
>

> I did a make install with the environment variables set as:
>
> [edwin@ottopedi ~]$ echo $CFLAGS
> -O0
> [edwin@ottopedi ~]$ echo $WITH_DEBUG
> yes
>
> On executing the command:
>
> squeak /usr/local/lib/squeak/Squeak4.6-15102.image
>
> I got a coredump with the following backtrace
>
> ((gdb) bt
> #0  0x0806c91e in commonVariableatcacheIndex ()
> #1  0x0806c61b in commonAt ()
> #2  0x0805c3ba in primitiveAt ()
> #3  0x08069138 in interpret ()
> #4  0x080795ec in main ()
>
> Thanks,
>
> Edwin Ancaer

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

Edwin Ancaer
Dave, ank you for the reply.

I followed the script at  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354, up to the make instruction. Apparently, the differences between FreeBSD and Linux make some changes in the sources necessary. I'm  stuck with this error:

[ 89%] Building C object UUIDPlugin/CMakeFiles/UUIDPlugin.dir/home/edwin/squeak/platforms/unix/plugins/UUIDPlugin/sqUnixUUID.c.o
cc: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-L/usr/local/lib' [-Wunused-command-line-argument]
In file included from /home/edwin/squeak/platforms/unix/plugins/UUIDPlugin/sqUnixUUID.c:10:
/usr/local/include/uuid/uuid.h:44:23: error: typedef redefinition with different types ('unsigned char [16]'
      vs 'struct uuid')
typedef unsigned char uuid_t[16];
                      ^
/usr/include/sys/uuid.h:77:21: note: previous definition is here
typedef struct uuid uuid_t;
                    ^
1 error generated.
*** Error code 1

Anybody an idea if and how this can be solved?

Thanks

Edwin Ancaer

Edwin,

I do not have FreeBSD to check, but it looks like the instructions you are
following my refer to some out of date packages. It is quite likely that the
normal build instructions for Unix systems will work for you:

 http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354

Unfortunately you cannot run the build script at the moment, the source server
at squeakvm.org has been under hacker attack recently from sites in Korea and
China, and seems to be temporarily out of disk space as a result. I've sent
email to Ian Piumarta and hopefully it will be back to normal in a day or so.

Dave

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 05:32:24AM +0200, Edwin Ancaer wrote:
> In a post from Milan Vavra, pointed to by
> https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj1yq_ozIPbAhXCalAKHZkDAB8QFgg0MAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmilanvavra.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F01%2F31%2Fsqueak-4-6-installation-on-32bit-freebsd-10-3%2F&usg=AOvVaw3U7_2Db95P7sW5X4e6fd6b,
>
> the way to compile the Squeak-port to get squeak running on FreeBSD 10/3 is
> described.
>
> I tried this on FreeBSD 11.1, but it did not seem to work anymore?
>
> Should this still be possible to get squeak running on FreeBSD 11?
>

> I did a make install with the environment variables set as:
>
> [edwin@ottopedi ~]$ echo $CFLAGS
> -O0
> [edwin@ottopedi ~]$ echo $WITH_DEBUG
> yes
>
> On executing the command:
>
> squeak /usr/local/lib/squeak/Squeak4.6-15102.image
>
> I got a coredump with the following backtrace
>
> ((gdb) bt
> #0  0x0806c91e in commonVariableatcacheIndex ()
> #1  0x0806c61b in commonAt ()
> #2  0x0805c3ba in primitiveAt ()
> #3  0x08069138 in interpret ()
> #4  0x080795ec in main ()
>
> Thanks,
>
> Edwin Ancaer

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

David T. Lewis
Hi Edwin,

I don't know the cause of the problem with UUID plugin, but that happens
to be a plugin that is not terribly important, so an easy workaround is to
exclude it from your VM build.

If you look in your ./src directory, you will find the files plugins.ext
and plugins.int. These files specify the plugins that should be built as
external plugins and internal plugins respectively. If you look at the
plugins.int file, you will find UUIDPlugin listed there. Edit it out of
the file, then do a "make clean; make" to recompile. This will exclude
the UUID plugin from the configuration, and get you past the UUID issue.

Background: The plugins.ext and plugins.int files are generated while generating
sources from VMMaker. They are meant to be edited as needed, and the build
system looks first for copies of those files in your build directory before
falling back on the ones in ./src. For your purposes, the easy thing to do
is edit the default files in ./src.

Dave

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:38:00PM +0200, Edwin Ancaer wrote:

> [...]
> > url=https%3A%2F%2Fmilanvavra.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F01%2F31%2Fsqueak-4-6-
> > installation-on-32bit-freebsd-10-3%2F&usg=AOvVaw3U7_2Db95P7sW5X4e6fd6b,
> > >
> > > the way to compile the Squeak-port to get squeak running on FreeBSD 10/3
> > is
> > > described.
> > >
> > > I tried this on FreeBSD 11.1, but it did not seem to work anymore?
> > >
> > > Should this still be possible to get squeak running on FreeBSD 11?
> > >

> > > I did a make install with the environment variables set as:
> > >
> > > [edwin@ottopedi ~]$ echo $CFLAGS
> > > -O0
> > > [edwin@ottopedi ~]$ echo $WITH_DEBUG
> > > yes
> > >
> > > On executing the command:
> > >
> > > squeak /usr/local/lib/squeak/Squeak4.6-15102.image
> > >
> > > I got a coredump with the following backtrace
> > >
> > > ((gdb) bt
> > > #0  0x0806c91e in commonVariableatcacheIndex ()

Thanks again for your advice. I'm afraid I took another way. After some further searching on the internet, it seemed the solution might be toq simply commenting out the line # include <sys/uuid.h> in sqUnixUUID.c. Now make got up to 96 %, when another issue turned up:

/home/edwin/squeak/platforms/unix/vm-sound-ALSA/sqUnixSoundALSA.c:254:9: error: duplicate case value '-32'
          case -ESTRPIPE: {     /* stream suspended */
               ^
/home/edwin/squeak/platforms/unix/vm-sound-ALSA/sqUnixSoundALSA.c:249:9: note: previous case defined here
          case -EPIPE: {        /* under-run */

I found the same error  for  a program named FluidSynth: EPIPE and ESTRPIPE may be the same value #168. Here the issue  was solved by applying the test for ESTRPIPE only in case ESTRPIPE <> EPIPE.

Doing the same I now have a  VM that could be working. I feel silly to ask, but can you tell ,me where I find a suitable image file? On Windows and Linux I always used the all-in-one package, so this problem never occurred.

Thanks again for your time,

Edwin Ancaer

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

Tim Johnson-2

On May 16, 2018, at 11:47 PM, Edwin Ancaer wrote:

Doing the same I now have a  VM that could be working. I feel silly to ask, but can you tell ,me where I find a suitable image file? On Windows and Linux I always used the all-in-one package, so this problem never occurred.

Hi Edwin,

http://files.squeak.org/4.6/SqueakV46.sources.zip should contain your sources file.

Hope that helps,
Tim

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

Edwin Ancaer
Tim,

Thanks, the correspondence between the version numbers of vm, images and source files was not clear to me.

However, the result remains the same: i get a coredump, with the same backtrace. Now there is a chance the changes I made to get the vm compiled might have something to do with it, so I will first rebuild the vm and exclude uuid and sound plugins, to see what I get then.

Kind regards,

Edwin Ancaer

Op vr 18 mei 2018 04:23 schreef Tm Jhnsn <[hidden email]>:

On May 16, 2018, at 11:47 PM, Edwin Ancaer wrote:

Doing the same I now have a  VM that could be working. I feel silly to ask, but can you tell ,me where I find a suitable image file? On Windows and Linux I always used the all-in-one package, so this problem never occurred.

Hi Edwin,

http://files.squeak.org/4.6/SqueakV46.sources.zip should contain your sources file.

Hope that helps,
Tim

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

Edwin Ancaer
Hello,

when trying to execute the command
svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms

I get the answer

svn: E020014: Can't find a temporary directory: Internal error.

I seem to hve enough free space. Can there be a problem on the server again?

Kind regards,

[...]

Yes, it was a problem on the server, file system full as a result of some
hacker attacks. I have enough enough server access to clear out some files
from /tmp so I think it is working again now, although the problem is likely
to come back. In any case, please give it another try and hopefully the error
will to gone this time.

Dave

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:07:53PM +0200, Edwin Ancaer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when trying to execute the command
>
> svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms
>

> I get the answer
>
> svn: E020014: Can't find a temporary directory: Internal error.
>
> I seem to hve enough free space. Can there be a problem on the server again?
>
> Kind regards,

> > Tim,
> >
> > Thanks, the correspondence between the version numbers of vm, images and
> > source files was not clear to me.
> >
> > However, the result remains the same: i get a coredump, with the same
> > backtrace. Now there is a chance the changes I made to get the vm compiled
> > might have something to do with it, so I will first rebuild the vm and
> > exclude uuid and sound plugins, to see what I get then.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Edwin Ancaer
> >

> > Op vr 18 mei 2018 04:23 schreef Tm Jhnsn <[hidden email]>:
> >

> >> On May 16, 2018, at 11:47 PM, Edwin Ancaer wrote:
> >>
> >> Doing the same I now have a  VM that could be working. I feel silly to
> >> ask, but can you tell ,me where I find a suitable image file? On Windows
> >> and Linux I always used the all-in-one package, so this problem never
> >> occurred.
> >>

> >> Hi Edwin,
> >>
> >> http://files.squeak.org/4.6/Squeak4.6-15102.zip should contain your
> >> image.
> >>
> >> http://files.squeak.org/4.6/SqueakV46.sources.zip should contain your
> >> sources file.
> >>
> >> Hope that helps,
> >> Tim

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

Edwin Ancaer
Hello,

Squeak seems not to be made for FreeBSD.
I removed the cameraplugin and the UUIDplugin, but at 96 % of the build, the error

/home/edwin/squeak/platforms/unix/vm-sound-ALSA/sqUnixSoundALSA.c:254:9: error:
      duplicate case value '-32'
          case -ESTRPIPE: {     /* stream suspended */
               ^
popped up again.

I tried to remove the sound plugins,SoundCodecPrims SoundGenerationPlugin SoundPlugin but that did not help.

I then removed the offending case statement (logically, I could just get the wrong error message there).

What I see is the squeak window opening, with a black rectangle in the upper left corner, and then the coredump starts.

I'm afraid for now, I reached the limits of my possibilities. I'll have to choose, stay with FreeBSD and GNUstep, or back to Linux with Squeak.... perfection does not exist in this world. I will keep following the mail list anyway, in case something pops up.

Thanks anyway for the assistance.

Edwin Ancaer

Hi Edwin,

Yes, it was a problem on the server, file system full as a result of some
hacker attacks. I have enough enough server access to clear out some files
from /tmp so I think it is working again now, although the problem is likely
to come back. In any case, please give it another try and hopefully the error
will to gone this time.

Dave

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:07:53PM +0200, Edwin Ancaer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when trying to execute the command
>
> svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms
>

> I get the answer
>
> svn: E020014: Can't find a temporary directory: Internal error.
>
> I seem to hve enough free space. Can there be a problem on the server again?
>
> Kind regards,

> > Tim,
> >
> > Thanks, the correspondence between the version numbers of vm, images and
> > source files was not clear to me.
> >
> > However, the result remains the same: i get a coredump, with the same
> > backtrace. Now there is a chance the changes I made to get the vm compiled
> > might have something to do with it, so I will first rebuild the vm and
> > exclude uuid and sound plugins, to see what I get then.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Edwin Ancaer
> >

> > Op vr 18 mei 2018 04:23 schreef Tm Jhnsn <[hidden email]>:
> >

> >> On May 16, 2018, at 11:47 PM, Edwin Ancaer wrote:
> >>
> >> Doing the same I now have a  VM that could be working. I feel silly to
> >> ask, but can you tell ,me where I find a suitable image file? On Windows
> >> and Linux I always used the all-in-one package, so this problem never
> >> occurred.
> >>

> >> Hi Edwin,
> >>
> >> http://files.squeak.org/4.6/Squeak4.6-15102.zip should contain your
> >> image.
> >>
> >> http://files.squeak.org/4.6/SqueakV46.sources.zip should contain your
> >> sources file.
> >>
> >> Hope that helps,
> >> Tim

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

David T. Lewis
Hi Edwin,

Let's try one more thing before we give up.

Looking at that error message, I think you must be encountering this issue
on FreeBSD:

https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/issues/133

That explains the "duplicate case value" error you are seeing. It will
affect only the ALSA vm plugin, so if ALSA sound is excluded from the build
I expect the error will be gone. Please try the following:

- Put SoundCodecPrims and SoundGenerationPlugin back into your plugins.int
file. These were the the cause of the problem.

- In your build/Makefile, find the line that defines CFLAGS_PARAM, and
change it to this (leading space before the "--" is important, so copy
this exactly):

  CFLAGS_PARAM=" --without-vm-sound-ALSA --CFLAGS='-O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'"

- Do a "make clean" followed by "make".

If this does not work, then let's move the question over to the vm-dev
list, and ask "can anyone can help provide either a Cog or interpreter VM
for V3 image on FreeBSD?" It is possible that someone may be running a Cog
OpenSmalltalk VM on FreeBSD, and if so that might be a better way to get
you running on FreeBSD.

CC to the vm-dev list.

Dave

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 06:06:43AM +0200, Edwin Ancaer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Squeak seems not to be made for FreeBSD.
> I removed the cameraplugin and the UUIDplugin, but at 96 % of the build,
> the error
>
> /home/edwin/squeak/platforms/unix/vm-sound-ALSA/sqUnixSoundALSA.c:254:9:
> error:
>       duplicate case value '-32'
>           case -ESTRPIPE: {     /* stream suspended */
>                ^
> popped up again.
>
> I tried to remove the sound plugins,SoundCodecPrims SoundGenerationPlugin
> SoundPlugin but that did not help.
>
> I then removed the offending case statement (logically, I could just get
> the wrong error message there).
>
> What I see is the squeak window opening, with a black rectangle in the
> upper left corner, and then the coredump starts.
>
> I'm afraid for now, I reached the limits of my possibilities. I'll have to
> choose, stay with FreeBSD and GNUstep, or back to Linux with Squeak....
> perfection does not exist in this world. I will keep following the mail
> list anyway, in case something pops up.
>
> Thanks anyway for the assistance.
>
> Edwin Ancaer

> > Hi Edwin,
> >
> > Yes, it was a problem on the server, file system full as a result of some
> > hacker attacks. I have enough enough server access to clear out some files
> > from /tmp so I think it is working again now, although the problem is
> > likely
> > to come back. In any case, please give it another try and hopefully the
> > error
> > will to gone this time.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:07:53PM +0200, Edwin Ancaer wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > when trying to execute the command
> > >
> > > svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms
> > >

> > > I get the answer
> > >
> > > svn: E020014: Can't find a temporary directory: Internal error.
> > >
> > > I seem to hve enough free space. Can there be a problem on the server
> > again?
> > >
> > > Kind regards,

> > and

> > compiled

> > Windows

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

timrowledge

> On 19-05-2018, at 8:25 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Edwin,
>
> Let's try one more thing before we give up.
>
> Looking at that error message, I think you must be encountering this issue
> on FreeBSD:
>
> https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/issues/133
>
> That explains the "duplicate case value" error you are seeing. It will
> affect only the ALSA vm plugin, so if ALSA sound is excluded from the build

Note that the file is not in the plugins part of the tree, and that ALSA has a long history of problems in vm-land. Some of that was fixed in the cog vm tree, or at least enough that building fora Pi (admittedly a linux machine) worked and produced sounds adequately.

tim
Useful random insult:- Sailboat fuel for brains.

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

Tobias Pape

> On 19.05.2018, at 18:12, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 19-05-2018, at 8:25 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Edwin,
>>
>> Let's try one more thing before we give up.
>>
>> Looking at that error message, I think you must be encountering this issue
>> on FreeBSD:
>>
>> https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/issues/133
>>
>> That explains the "duplicate case value" error you are seeing. It will
>> affect only the ALSA vm plugin, so if ALSA sound is excluded from the build
>
> Note that the file is not in the plugins part of the tree, and that ALSA has a long history of problems in vm-land. Some of that was fixed in the cog vm tree, or at least enough that building fora Pi (admittedly a linux machine) worked and produced sounds adequately.

Is ALSA even the proper way for sound on FreeBSD?

Best regards
        -Tobias

> tim
> Useful random insult:- Sailboat fuel for brains.

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

Edwin Ancaer
Dave,

is it possible there is a problem in the CPARAM_FLAGS variable you passed.

I get:

(cd build; ../../platforms/unix/cmake/configure --src=../../src " --without-vm-sound-ALSA --CFLAGS='-O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'")
unknown option:  --without-vm-sound-ALSA --CFLAGS='-O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'
-- Conf
iguring squeak 4.16.5-3765 for i386-unknown-freebsd11.1
-- Using source directory /usr/home/edwin/squeak/src
-- with CFLAGS =
--      ARGS   =  -DOPT--src=/usr/home/edwin/squeak/src
-- The C compiler identification is Clang 4.0.0

This is an extract of the Makefile:

# Assume platforms is ../platforms and src is ../src

# CFLAGS setting to pass to cmake configure. If undefined, use compiler defaults.
#CFLAGS_PARAM="--CFLAGS='-O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'"
#CFLAGS_PARAM="--CFLAGS='-O0 -g'"
CFLAGS_PARAM=" --without-vm-sound-ALSA --CFLAGS='-O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'"

squeakvm:    build/squeakvm build64/squeakvm64

build/squeakvm:    build/CMakeCache.txt
    (cd build; make)

> [...]

> Edwin Ancaer

> > Hi Edwin,
> >
> > Yes, it was a problem on the server, file system full as a result of some
> > hacker attacks. I have enough enough server access to clear out some files
> > from /tmp so I think it is working again now, although the problem is
> > likely
> > to come back. In any case, please give it another try and hopefully the
> > error
> > will to gone this time.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:07:53PM +0200, Edwin Ancaer wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > when trying to execute the command
> > >
> > > svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms
> > >

> > > I get the answer
> > >
> > > svn: E020014: Can't find a temporary directory: Internal error.
> > >
> > > I seem to hve enough free space. Can there be a problem on the server

tty

Squeak 5 on FreeBSD amd64 (semi-success)

tty
After some hacking, I can invoke squeak and get some version info

...@dpdev1:~/usr/src/opensmalltalk-vm/products/sqcogspur64linuxht/lib/squeak/5.0 % ./squeak --version
5.0-  Sun May 20 06:49:54 UTC 2018 cc [Production Spur 64-bit VM]
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.2380 uuid: c76d37e1-445c-4e34-9796-fc836dfd50c9 May 20 2018
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.2380 uuid: c76d37e1-445c-4e34-9796-fc836dfd50c9 May 20 2018
VM:  $Date$
Date: $CommitHash$ CommitHash: $Rev$
Plugins: $URL$ $Rev$
FreeBSD dpdev1 11.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Nov 14 06:12:40 UTC 2017     [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
plugin path: /usr/home/gettimothy/usr/src/opensmalltalk-vm/products/sqcogspur64linuxht/lib/squeak/5.0/ [default: /usr/home/gettimothy/usr/src/opensmalltalk-vm/products/sqcogspur64linuxht/lib/squeak/5.0/]

As I get time, I will continue hacking on this and as time permits, I will work with whoever is interested.
Process I am following is as follows

cp -Rv build.linux64x64/ build.freebsd64x64
cd build.freebsd64x64/squeak.cog.spur/
[create backup copies of original plugins.* and build/mvm
cp plugins.int plugins.int.orig ; cp plugins.ext plugins.ext.orig
cp build/mvm ./

[hack,baby hack!]
reduce plugins.int to minimal (I blogged on this a couple of years ago: )

INTERNAL_PLUGINS = \
AsynchFilePlugin \
B2DPlugin \
BitBltPlugin \
SocketPlugin
after some hacking, I reduced plugins.ext to this:
EXTERNAL_PLUGINS = \
B3DAcceleratorPlugin \
SqueakFFIPrims \
LocalePlugin \
UnicodePlugin \
UnixOSProcessPlugin \
UUIDPlugin \
ImmX11Plugin \
XDisplayControlPlugin

modified mvm to this (note the FreeBSD addition to the case statement, the addition of libiconv and the --without--vm-sound-FOO)
#!/usr/bin/env bash
set -e
# Spur VM with VM profiler and threaded heartbeat
INSTALLDIR=sqcogspur64linuxht

OPT="-g -O2 -fwrapv -DNDEBUG -DDEBUGVM=0 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"

CFLAGS="$OPT -msse2 -DCOGMTVM=0"
LIBS=""
LDFLAGS=""
case $(uname -s) in
  OpenBSD)
           CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I/usr/local/include"
           LIBS="$LIBS -lexecinfo"
           LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L/usr/local/lib"
           ;;
  FreeBSD)
           CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I/usr/local/include"
           LIBS="$LIBS -lexecinfo -liconv"
           LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L/usr/local/lib"
           ;;
esac

if [ $# -ge 1 ]; then
        INSTALLDIR="$1"; shift
fi

echo -n "clean? "
read a
case $a in
n|no|N|NO)      echo "ok but this isn't safe!!";;
*)                      test -f Makefile && make reallyclean
esac
test -f plugins.int || (test -f ../plugins.int && cp -p ../plugins.int . || cp -p ../../plugins.int .)
test -f plugins.ext || (test -f ../plugins.ext && cp -p ../plugins.ext . || cp -p ../../plugins.ext .)
test -f config.h || ../../../platforms/unix/config/configure --without-npsqueak \
                --with-vmversion=5.0 \
                --with-src=spur64src \
                --without-vm-sound-MacOSX \
                --without-vm-sound-Sun \
                --without-vm-sound-custom \
                --without-vm-sound-ALSA \
        TARGET_ARCH="-m64" \
        CFLAGS="$CFLAGS" \
        LIBS="$LIBS" \
        LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS"
rm -f vm/sqUnixMain.o # nuke version info
rm -rf ../../../products/$INSTALLDIR
# prefer make install prefix=`readlink -f \`pwd\`/../../../products/$INSTALLDIR`
# but older linux readlinks lack the -f flag
make install-squeak install-plugins prefix=`(cd ../../../;pwd)`/products/$INSTALLDIR 2>&1 | tee LOG

./mvm  (it will error out trying to build sound plugins even though I put those --without-vm-sound-foo thingies in)
Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/home/gettimothy/usr/src/opensmalltalk-vm/build.freebsd64x64/squeak.cog.spur/build/vm-sound-ALSA
edit the Makefile and search for "sound"

modify LIBS

LIBS=           -luuid -lutil -lpulse-simple -lasound  -lm  -lexecinfo -liconv
becomes:

LIBS=           -luuid -lutil  -lm  -lexecinfo -liconv

modify PLUGINS_LA
PLUGINS_LA      =  vm-display-X11${la} vm-display-null${la} vm-sound-ALSA${la} vm-sound-NAS${la} vm-sound-OSS${la} vm-sound-null${la} vm-sound-pulse${la} B3DAcceleratorPlugin${la} SqueakFFIPrims${la} LocalePlugin${la} UnixOSProcessPlugin${la} UUIDPlugin${la} ImmX11Plugin${la} XDisplayControlPlugin${la}

becomes :
PLUGINS_LA      =  vm-display-X11${la} vm-display-null${la}  B3DAcceleratorPlugin${la} SqueakFFIPrims${la} LocalePlugin${la} UnixOSProcessPlugin${la} UUIDPlugin${la} ImmX11Plugin${la} XDisplayControlPlugin${la}
(Why are the --without-vm-sound--... directives ignored?)

type make.

it compiles.

but the 'getversion' program barfs a bit (probably UUID problemvi M):

./getversion
VM_NICKNAME: Cog Spur VM
VIRTUAL_MACHINE_NICKNAME: Cog Spur Virtual Machine
VM_MONIKER: CogSpurVM
VM_VERSION: 5.0
VM_MAJOR: 5
VM_MINOR: 0
VM_RELEASE: $CommitHash$
VERSION_TAG: 5.0-$CommitHash$
VERSION_NUMBER: 5.0.$CommitHash$
COMMIT_HASH:
NICKNAME: Cog
OBJMEM: Spur
DEFAULT_IMAGE_NAME: squeak.image
gettimothy@dpdev1:~/usr/src/opensmalltalk-vm/build.freebsd64x64/squeak.cog.spur/build %

and the resulting products output reflects that:

tree sqcogspur64linuxht/
sqcogspur64linuxht/
|-- bin
|   `-- squeak
|-- lib
|   `-- squeak
|       `-- 5.0-$CommitHash$
|           `-- squeak
`-- squeak

hack some more, renaming the lib/squeak/5.0
mv 5.0-\$CommitHash\$/ 5.0

check the executable:
file 5.0/squeak 5.0/squeak: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1, for FreeBSD 11.1, FreeBSD-style, not stripped

invoke it and check version (outputs as at the beginning of the post)

try to run it anyway (you never know!)
../opensmalltalk-vm/products/sqcogspur64linuxht/lib/squeak/5.0/squeak Squeak5.1-16548-64bit.image -headless
squeak: could not find any display driver
Abort (core dumped)

Why its looking for a display driver with the -headless flag ? I don't know.

Summary, this is worth pursing. I will hack at it as I get time.

cheers,

tty

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

David T. Lewis
Hi Edwin,

I am attaching a copy of the Makefile that I used for a VM with ALSA
excluded from the configuration.

Dave

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 07:28:57AM +0200, Edwin Ancaer wrote:

> [...]
> > > the error
> > >
> > > /home/edwin/squeak/platforms/unix/vm-sound-ALSA/sqUnixSoundALSA.c:254:9:
> > > error:
> > >       duplicate case value '-32'
> > >           case -ESTRPIPE: {     /* stream suspended */
> > >                ^
> > > popped up again.
> > >
> > > I tried to remove the sound plugins,SoundCodecPrims SoundGenerationPlugin
> > > SoundPlugin but that did not help.
> > >
> > > I then removed the offending case statement (logically, I could just get
> > > the wrong error message there).
> > >
> > > What I see is the squeak window opening, with a black rectangle in the
> > > upper left corner, and then the coredump starts.
> > >
> > > I'm afraid for now, I reached the limits of my possibilities. I'll have
> > > choose, stay with FreeBSD and GNUstep, or back to Linux with Squeak....
> > > perfection does not exist in this world. I will keep following the mail

Makefile (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Squeak 4.6 on 32-Bits FreeBSD 11.1

Levente Uzonyi
Hi Edwin,

I suggest you should keep using the -g compiler flag. It causes negligible
slowdown, but without it debugging will be a lot harder.

Levente

On Sun, 20 May 2018, Edwin Ancaer wrote:

> [...]
>       > > > > exclude uuid and sound plugins, to see what I get then.
>       > > > >
>       > > > > Kind regards,
>       > > > >
>       > > > > Edwin Ancaer
>       > > > >
>       > > > >
>       > > > >
>       > > > > Op vr 18 mei 2018 04:23 schreef Tm Jhnsn <[hidden email]>:
>       > > > >
>       > > > >>
>       > > > >> On May 16, 2018, at 11:47 PM, Edwin Ancaer wrote:
>       > > > >>
>       > > > >> Doing the same I now have a  VM that could be working. I feel silly to
>       > > > >> ask, but can you tell ,me where I find a suitable image file? On
>       > > Windows
>       > > > >> and Linux I always used the all-in-one package, so this problem never

Hi guys,

Squeak is working now. There is no CameraPlugin, no UUIDPlugin and no ALSA.

I still got this issue with the makefile:

[edwin@ottopedi ~/squeak/build]$ make
mkdir build || true
(cd build; ../../platforms/unix/cmake/configure --src=../../src " --without-vm-sound-ALSA --CFLAGS='-O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'")
unknown option:  --without-vm-sound-ALSA --CFLAGS='-O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'
-- Configuring squeak 4.16.5-3765 for i386-unknown-freebsd11.1
-- Using source directory /usr/home/edwin/squeak/src

This looks like an error in resolving the parameters, because, when I execute the different steps manually, and correct the configure command as below, the script runs correctly.
cd build; ../../platforms/unix/cmake/configure --src=../../src  --without-vm-sound-ALSA --CFLAGS='-O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',

I will see if I can find out if this is due to some difference between FreeBSD and Linux to update the Makefile.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 09:23:37AM +0200, Edwin Ancaer wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Squeak is working now. There is no CameraPlugin, no UUIDPlugin and no ALSA.

Good to know, thank you for the followup.

> I still got this issue with the makefile:

Ugh, sorry about that. I am confused by the error you are seeing, so please
do let us know if you figure out where it is coming from.

Thanks,
Dave

> [...]
> >>       > > > > exclude uuid and sound plugins, to see what I get then.
> >>       > > > >
> >>       > > > > Kind regards,
> >>       > > > >
> >>       > > > > Edwin Ancaer
> >>       > > > >
> >>       > > > >
> >>       > > > >
> >>       > > > > Op vr 18 mei 2018 04:23 schreef Tm Jhnsn <[hidden email]>:
> >>       > > > >
> >>       > > > >>
> >>       > > > >> On May 16, 2018, at 11:47 PM, Edwin Ancaer wrote:
> >>       > > > >>
> >>       > > > >> Doing the same I now have a  VM that could be working. I
> >> feel silly to
> >>       > > > >> ask, but can you tell ,me where I find a suitable image
> >> file? On
> >>       > > Windows
> >>       > > > >> and Linux I always used the all-in-one package, so this

Eliot Miranda-2

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:23 AM, Edwin Ancaer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

Squeak is working now. There is no CameraPlugin, no UUIDPlugin and no ALSA.

any chance of committing the changes to opensmalltalk-vm (without breaking anything) and including a build.freebsd32x86?  Can this conversation be moved to vm-dev?  (where it belongs)

--
best, Eliot