Squeak 4.6 release candidate

12

Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Chris Muller-4
We have a release candidate image.

  http://ftp.squeak.org/4.6/

The new sources file is required.

Please test your apps.  This could be the final image unless major
issues are uncovered.

Thanks.

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Nicolai Hess

We have a release candidate image.

  http://ftp.squeak.org/4.6/

The new sources file is required.

Please test your apps.  This could be the final image unless major
issues are uncovered.

Thanks.

Is there a release candidate vm too?

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Karl Ramberg
Nice work.

Two things:

Saving projects does not work, this could be mentioned in compability issues.it
(It would be nice to recover more gracefully from trying to save a project)

In the HelpBrowser selecting Squeak/The Project :
MessageNotUnderstood: TheWorldMainDockingBar class>>releaseNotes

Karl

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 9:26 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have a release candidate image.

  http://ftp.squeak.org/4.6/

The new sources file is required.

Please test your apps.  This could be the final image unless major
issues are uncovered.

Thanks.

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Stéphane Rollandin
> Please test your apps.  This could be the final image unless major
> issues are uncovered.

A little glitch:

It seems that the little arrows at the ends of browser scrollbars have
disappeared...

Actually they still exist as submorphs, as you can see if you explore a
scrollbar, but they do not appear, which makes browsers kind of unfinished.

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Stéphane Rollandin
Another feedback:

The overall grey tones of the display are rather depressing to me. I
know some people consider that Squeak used to be way too colorful, but
now it seems we jumped right to the other end of the spectrum...

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Stéphane Rollandin
> A little glitch:
>
> It seems that the little arrows at the ends of browser scrollbars have
> disappeared...
>
> Actually they still exist as submorphs, as you can see if you explore a
> scrollbar, but they do not appear, which makes browsers kind of unfinished.

Oops. I now see it's only a preference. My bad...

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Stéphane Rollandin
Another thing:

If you enable the flaps, you can see that they can not be resized as
before (for example in 4.5) by dragging their handle: instead, they
simply close.

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 02:26:23PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> We have a release candidate image.
>
>   http://ftp.squeak.org/4.6/

Bravo! Thanks Chris.

> The new sources file is required.
>
> Please test your apps.  This could be the final image unless major
> issues are uncovered.
>
> Thanks.

In the help browser, I get a DNU for TheWordMainDockingBar class>>releaseNotes
called from SqueakProjectHelp class>>releaseNotes. This is from a Help browser
opening Help -> Squeak -> The Project -> ...

There is a minor edit required for the "Working with Squeak" window. I updated
it in trunk for Morphic and Help-Squeak-Project.

Dave

On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 12:21:41AM +0200, St??phane Rollandin wrote:
> Another feedback:
>
> The overall grey tones of the display are rather depressing to me. I
> know some people consider that Squeak used to be way too colorful, but
> now it seems we jumped right to the other end of the spectrum...
>
> Stef

Maybe this is a mistake in setting the window colors preferences? They
have preferences that seem to be not set, so maybe that is why they are
showing up as gray. It looks like a bug related to preference setting for
the release image.

Dave

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 02:26:23PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> We have a release candidate image.
>
>   http://ftp.squeak.org/4.6/
>
> The new sources file is required.
>
> Please test your apps.  This could be the final image unless major
> issues are uncovered.

Running under interpreter VM, do this:

  toolbar Help -> Help Browser
  expand Squeak --> The Project (get a DNU)
  click Debug to open a debugger
  highlight SqueakProjectHelp class>>releaseNotes in the top pane of the debugger
  right click, and select Versions to open a versions browser on the selected methode

  ==> VM crash with "sweep failed to find exact end of memory"

This suggests corruption of the object memory image. It is hard to say what
might be the cause, but it would be a good safety measure to save the release
image once from an interpreter VM prior to final release.

In past releases we have done this anyway as part of the release process in
order to ensure that people with old VMs (on Mac) can still run the image.

Dave

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Chris Muller-3
> Two things:
>
> Saving projects does not work, this could be mentioned in compability
> issues.it
> (It would be nice to recover more gracefully from trying to save a project)
>
> In the HelpBrowser selecting Squeak/The Project :
> MessageNotUnderstood: TheWorldMainDockingBar class>>releaseNotes

Thanks for the feedback.  I've made those updates and will include
them with more twiddly-tweaks tomorrow I'm sure a few more will
accumulate.

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Herbert König

in the Preference Browser,
browsing, syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment cannot be enabled
any more.
If one enables syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment it's
enabled as well.
halos, halo theme the themes classic and simple have lost some icons in
the halo buttons. That's already so in 4.5.
updates, update URL still points to 4.5

In a workspace the bottom arrow of a scrollbar cannot be used. The
cursor turns to the resize cursor already when hoverin above the arrow.
Same seems to be valid for any window with a vertical scroller on the
bottom left, e.g. browsing a mc repository.

Try to check more later.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 02.07.2015 um 21:26 schrieb Chris Muller:

> We have a release candidate image.
>
>    http://ftp.squeak.org/4.6/
>
> The new sources file is required.
>
> Please test your apps.  This could be the final image unless major
> issues are uncovered.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Chris Muller-3
Hi Herbert,

> in the Preference Browser,
> browsing, syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment cannot be enabled any
> more.
> If one enables syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment it's enabled
> as well.

Yep, strange..  It seems to be a legacy problem since at least 4.5, so
this can wait a little longer until 5.1.

> halos, halo theme the themes classic and simple have lost some icons in the
> halo buttons. That's already so in 4.5.

Okay, not part of this release.

> updates, update URL still points to 4.5

Hm, says http://source.squeak.org/squeak46.  You have to check the
actual release image, you can't just update your trunk image.

> In a workspace the bottom arrow of a scrollbar cannot be used. The cursor
> turns to the resize cursor already when hoverin above the arrow. Same seems
> to be valid for any window with a vertical scroller on the bottom left, e.g.
> browsing a mc repository.

Confirmed.  It seems the mouse-over zone for resizing is quite large,
extending upward into the bounds of the window more than normal.
Marcel do you know anything about that?

Thanks!

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Chris Muller-3
> Another thing:
>
> If you enable the flaps, you can see that they can not be resized as before
> (for example in 4.5) by dragging their handle: instead, they simply close.

Confirmed.  And some of the flaps don't open far enough to access all
the tools so they're basically inaccessible.

It also looks like the FlapTabs look more like beveled rectangles than
the classic flap-tab.

If anyone knows a fast fix over the weekend, the release will be grateful.

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Eliot Miranda-2

On Jul 2, 2015, at 3:21 PM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another feedback:
>
> The overall grey tones of the display are rather depressing to me. I know some people consider that Squeak used to be way too colorful, but now it seems we jumped right to the other end of the spectrum...

+1000.  Personally I like the rice paper.  Why can't we keep it?

> Stef

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Tobias Pape
Hi all

On 03.07.2015, at 21:21, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2015, at 3:21 PM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Another feedback:
>>
>> The overall grey tones of the display are rather depressing to me. I know some people consider that Squeak used to be way too colorful, but now it seems we jumped right to the other end of the spectrum...
>
> +1000.  Personally I like the rice paper.  Why can't we keep it?

For 8 years now we have 80 students per year that have their first
contact with Squeak, and an unobtrusive background as plain
as possible hast gotten the "best"[1] responses.

A release is an outwards-activity; everyone here who posts at least once
a year is able to change the background in no time, yet newcomers can
actually be offended and turned away.

Best regards
        -Tobias

[1]: in the sense of the fewest bad words. The rice paper mostly got
     "really ugly" or "childish" and the ulam spiral "strangely
     distracting". Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting.

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Karl Ramberg
Something must have happened to event handling.
This will make it work again.

ReferenceMorph>>handlesMouseMove: anEvent
^true

Marcel did some work with the corner rounding for this release.
I think FlapTabs prior had some special handling of corner rounding, so only two corners were rounded, not all of them.

Karl

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 2:40 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Something must have happened to event handling.
> This will make it work again.
>
> ReferenceMorph>>handlesMouseMove: anEvent
> ^true

Cool, thanks.  I'll commit that by Sunday.

> Marcel did some work with the corner rounding for this release.
> I think FlapTabs prior had some special handling of corner rounding, so only
> two corners were rounded, not all of them.

Yes, and FlapTab>>#roundedCorners seems to answer for-element Array
correctly, but perhaps the rendering is what's been changed, to not
respect #roundedCorners..?

On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 09:31:07PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:

> A release is an outwards-activity; everyone here who posts at least once
> a year is able to change the background in no time, ...

OK, I'll bite. How do I restore the colored windows and background to
the previous defaults?

Dave

Re: Squeak 4.6 release candidate

Frank Shearar-3
> For 8 years now we have 80 students per year that have their first
> contact with Squeak, and an unobtrusive background as plain
> as possible hast gotten the "best"[1] responses.
>
> [1]: in the sense of the fewest bad words. The rice paper mostly got
>      "really ugly" or "childish" and the ulam spiral "strangely
>      distracting". Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting.

Heh, as the maker of the ulam spiral, I find that interesting. Yeah, I
guess I can see how it might be a bit distracting: it _does_ have an
intriguing almost-pattern to it.

frank

12