Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

12

Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

keith1y
Dear All,

As far as I see it the only sensible way ahead for squeak 3.11 is to
adopt Pharo 1.0 as the next base version of squeak (i.e. 4.0), and to
begin a series of initiatives to promote compatibility with squeak
pieces that pharo doesn't support.

The previous squeak 3.11 vision accepted, and now rejected, by the
squeak board was to develop a process that would allow squeak to harvest
the contributions of all the other forks, or other major initiatives,
and for significant contributions to be shared by all the forks.

All of a sudden there was an "oh no pharo is ahead of us" panic that
ensued last month as a result of new squeak-dev people that were not
involved in, nor seemed aware of the goals of the 3.11 process. Within
this process Pharo may simply be viewed as a research project carried
out on behalf of the wider squeak community, that will be harvestable in
good time.

However now that this idea is no longer going to be developed, we need
to limit the number of diverging active forks as much as possible,
rather than creating new ones ("trunk" makes the problem worse not
better). Once the output of "trunk" is released in whatever form we will
then have yet another base image to manage code for, and I don't think
that that is an acceptable outcome.

When it comes to the elections next year, if there is anyone who would
like to run on the "Squeak to adopt Pharo" ticket, then I will vote for
them.

best regards

Keith

p.p.s. Bob is not going to be released as open source, if you would like
the ability to build your images daily, and run the test suites against
your deliverables, then please do email me for licensing terms.

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 10-08-2009 a las 21:07 +0100, Keith Hodges escribió:

> Dear All,
>
> As far as I see it the only sensible way ahead for squeak 3.11 is to
> adopt Pharo 1.0 as the next base version of squeak (i.e. 4.0), and to
> begin a series of initiatives to promote compatibility with squeak
> pieces that pharo doesn't support.
>
> The previous squeak 3.11 vision accepted, and now rejected, by the
> squeak board was to develop a process that would allow squeak to harvest
> the contributions of all the other forks, or other major initiatives,
> and for significant contributions to be shared by all the forks.
>
> All of a sudden there was an "oh no pharo is ahead of us" panic that
> ensued last month as a result of new squeak-dev people that were not
> involved in, nor seemed aware of the goals of the 3.11 process. Within
> this process Pharo may simply be viewed as a research project carried
> out on behalf of the wider squeak community, that will be harvestable in
> good time.

I don't agree with you on this point. Pharo has its own merits to exists
and it didn't fork as a "research project" for the squeak community.
As its web page states, its goal is:

"to deliver a clean, innovative, open-source *Smalltalk*"

emphasis mine. Not a clean Squeak.
As the day pass the foundations grow stronger and itself gains more and
more identity and independence. This, if nothing really big happens on
Squeak, will attract more developers and new users. There is no date yet
to deliver a new version of Squeak, and this, together with the Pharo
1.0 release, will be less energy to try to maintain code for several
forks and several packages will choose to support the one with more
*apparent* users.
What I want to say is, there is, as each day pass, less homesick for the
past and more joy for the future.

> However now that this idea is no longer going to be developed, we need
> to limit the number of diverging active forks as much as possible,
> rather than creating new ones ("trunk" makes the problem worse not
> better).

This is a point that I have never accepted of your thesis. There is no
way to put all the "forks" in the same
process/mindshare/goals/repositories. It is impossible. Even if they do
it just for upsetting people. This isn't going to happen.

The forks, as the young people, want to be free, independents, of its
parents. They don't want to be like their parents project but a little
different. They WANT to be better (whatever this means to the fork) and
independent. They want to learn their own lessons.

If for accident they happen to be compatible good, but if not, well, as
the Linux community can show, there can not be a single distro neither a
single code base that runs in every distro. How they solved it, by
assinging mainteiner of each package that tracks the upstream project
and adapt it to the specific distro. Something like this will happen
with squeak/pharo/cuis. The upstream developers will have its
development platform but someone else will adapt it to other platforms.

> Once the output of "trunk" is released in whatever form we will
> then have yet another base image to manage code for, and I don't think
> that that is an acceptable outcome.
>
> When it comes to the elections next year, if there is anyone who would
> like to run on the "Squeak to adopt Pharo" ticket, then I will vote for
> them.

If this happen, then good for both of the communities. But until this
happen, most new users will learn by the lists about pharo and when
trying and comparing it to squeak, will make its choice. Some of them
will stay with squeak, some of them will try again squeak when a new
release is made and some of them will stay with pharo for ever.

One (at least me) can't be jumping or using several smalltalk versions
(the same way that I don't like to administer linux of several flavors,
it add unnecessary complexity and work).

> best regards
>
> Keith
>
> p.p.s. Bob is not going to be released as open source, if you would like
> the ability to build your images daily, and run the test suites against
> your deliverables, then please do email me for licensing terms.

This is really a sad thing to read. Of course it is your decision, bad
for us as it sound as Bob was a very good piece of software. On the
other side, this sounds also like a emotional response more than a
rational one. But if the community can't use your code, well, like the
BitKeeper on the Linux kernel code case, someone will have to think
something.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

Stéphane Ducasse
good summary :)
We started pharo because we could not move anymore.
We will continue to pay attention to what they other forks are doing.

Stef

On Aug 10, 2009, at 11:10 PM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Keith
>>
>> p.p.s. Bob is not going to be released as open source, if you would
>> like
>> the ability to build your images daily, and run the test suites
>> against
>> your deliverables, then please do email me for licensing terms.
>>

> This is really a sad thing to read. Of course it is your decision, bad
> for us as it sound as Bob was a very good piece of software. On the
> other side, this sounds also like a emotional response more than a
> rational one. But if the community can't use your code, well, like the
> BitKeeper on the Linux kernel code case, someone will have to think
> something.
>

> --
> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

LawsonEnglish
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> good summary :)
> We started pharo because we could not move anymore.
> We will continue to pay attention to what they other forks are doing.

BTW, some of us Second LIfe types are starting to play with
Pharo/Seaside and various little issues keep popping up. I'm a total
Smalltalk
noob, but when I can't work through an example from the Squeak by
Example book, that suggests there's some interesting features that should
be looked at...

Lawson

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

Stéphane Ducasse

> BTW, some of us Second LIfe types are starting to play with
> Pharo/Seaside and various little issues keep popping up. I'm a total
> Smalltalk
> noob, but when I can't work through an example from the Squeak by
> Example book, that suggests there's some interesting features that
> should
> be looked at...

A new version of SBE named pharo by example is under preparation.
Now do not hesitate to ask question even if you think that they look
silly.
Silly questions do not exist.

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> BTW, some of us Second LIfe types are starting to play with
>> Pharo/Seaside and various little issues keep popping up. I'm a total
>> Smalltalk
>> noob, but when I can't work through an example from the Squeak by
>> Example book, that suggests there's some interesting features that
>> should
>> be looked at...
>>

> A new version of SBE named pharo by example is under preparation.
> Now do not hesitate to ask question even if you think that they look
> silly.
> Silly questions do not exist.
>
> Stef

Great to hear. However, pharo gets upset by putting 'eureka'. 'EUREKA'
into the method finder.

Says that is EVIL.

I gotta assume that that is just a simple bug, right, or is that
facility no longer to be supported for some reason.

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

Alexandre Bergel
> Great to hear. However, pharo gets upset by putting 'eureka'. 'EUREKA'
> into the method finder.
>
> Says that is EVIL.

Interesting bug. The problem comes from the deprecation of
String>>asCharacter

> I gotta assume that that is just a simple bug, right, or is that
> facility no longer to be supported for some reason.

Apparently, a number of deprecations in String are problematic

Try: 'abc' . 'd'. 'abcd'

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> Great to hear. However, pharo gets upset by putting 'eureka'. 'EUREKA'
>> into the method finder.
>>
>> Says that is EVIL.
>>

> Interesting bug. The problem comes from the deprecation of
> String>>asCharacter

>> I gotta assume that that is just a simple bug, right, or is that
>> facility no longer to be supported for some reason.
>>

> Apparently, a number of deprecations in String are problematic
>
> Try: 'abc' . 'd'. 'abcd'
>
> Alexandre

I get    ByteString(SequenceableCollection)>>upTo: has been deprecated.
Use #copyUpTo:

Lawson

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

'eureka' . ' EUREKA'

        I get no single method....

On Aug 11, 2009, at 11:22 PM, Lawson English wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>> BTW, some of us Second LIfe types are starting to play with
>>> Pharo/Seaside and various little issues keep popping up. I'm a total
>>> Smalltalk
>>> noob, but when I can't work through an example from the Squeak by
>>> Example book, that suggests there's some interesting features that
>>> should
>>> be looked at...
>>>

>> A new version of SBE named pharo by example is under preparation.
>> Now do not hesitate to ask question even if you think that they look
>> silly.
>> Silly questions do not exist.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> Great to hear. However, pharo gets upset by putting 'eureka'. 'EUREKA'
> into the method finder.
>
> Says that is EVIL.
>

> I gotta assume that that is just a simple bug, right, or is that
> facility no longer to be supported for some reason.

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

Which image are you using?
Because on mine = core 10371
deprecatedWarning  = on
I do not get them.

Stef

On Aug 11, 2009, at 11:35 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> Great to hear. However, pharo gets upset by putting 'eureka'.
>> 'EUREKA'
>> into the method finder.
>>
>> Says that is EVIL.
>
> Interesting bug. The problem comes from the deprecation of
> String>>asCharacter

>> I gotta assume that that is just a simple bug, right, or is that
>> facility no longer to be supported for some reason.
>
> Apparently, a number of deprecations in String are problematic
>
> Try: 'abc' . 'd'. 'abcd'

I get
'abc' , 'd' first -->'abcd'
with 10371 and deprecation on.

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Which image are you using?
> Because on mine = core 10371
> deprecatedWarning  = on
> I do not get them.
>
> Stef

Pharo0.1
Latest update: #10343

will try running updater. Likely that I downloaded a pristine copy and
started using it without updating first.

Lawson

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

Stéphane Ducasse
Oops that old.
I suggest you to download a more recent version
Mine is already old :)
Let us know if you still have problem. It may be one package loaded in
the pharo (non core) that is
doing something fishy.

Stef

On Aug 12, 2009, at 12:10 AM, Lawson English wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Which image are you using?
>> Because on mine = core 10371
>> deprecatedWarning  = on
>> I do not get them.
>>
>> Stef
>
> Pharo0.1
> Latest update: #10343
>
> will try running updater. Likely that I downloaded a pristine copy
> and started using it without updating first.
>

> Lawson

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

LawsonEnglish
Doing an update. This is the version found in teh one-click installer
package at:   http://www.seaside.st/download/squeak

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Oops that old.
> I suggest you to download a more recent version
> Mine is already old :)
> Let us know if you still have problem. It may be one package loaded in
> the pharo (non core) that is
> doing something fishy.
>
> Stef

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

csrabak
If you proceed when getting evil and afterwards the warning that the method shouldn't be used don't you get String>>asUppercase?

Em 11/08/2009 19:03, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

'eureka' . ' EUREKA'

 I get no single method....

On Aug 11, 2009, at 11:22 PM, Lawson English wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>> BTW, some of us Second LIfe types are starting to play with
>>> Pharo/Seaside and various little issues keep popping up. I'm a total
>>> Smalltalk
>>> noob, but when I can't work through an example from the Squeak by
>>> Example book, that suggests there's some interesting features that
>>> should
>>> be looked at...
>>>

>> A new version of SBE named pharo by example is under preparation.
>> Now do not hesitate to ask question even if you think that they look
>> silly.
>> Silly questions do not exist.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> Great to hear. However, pharo gets upset by putting 'eureka'. 'EUREKA'
> into the method finder.
>
> Says that is EVIL.
>

> I gotta assume that that is just a simple bug, right, or is that
> facility no longer to be supported for some reason.

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

csrabak

 Pharo1.0beta latest update: #10413.

BTW: it's not possible to copy text from the About this System Dialog...

Em 11/08/2009 19:05, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

Which image are you using?
Because on mine = core 10371
deprecatedWarning  = on
I do not get them.

Stef

On Aug 11, 2009, at 11:58 PM, Lawson English wrote:

> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>> Great to hear. However, pharo gets upset by putting 'eureka'.
>>> 'EUREKA'
>>> into the method finder.
>>>
>>> Says that is EVIL.
>>>

>> Interesting bug. The problem comes from the deprecation of
>> String>>asCharacter
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1062
>>

>>> I gotta assume that that is just a simple bug, right, or is that
>>> facility no longer to be supported for some reason.
>>>

>> Apparently, a number of deprecations in String are problematic
>>
>> Try: 'abc' . 'd'. 'abcd'
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

> I get    ByteString(SequenceableCollection)>>upTo: has been
> deprecated.
> Use #copyUpTo:
>

> Lawson

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Pharo1.0beta latest update: #10413.

BTW: it's not possible to copy text from the About this System Dialog...

Here in Linux works using ctrl + c   not only to a workspace (inside image) but also to an external program.

Em 11/08/2009 19:05, Stéphane Ducasse &lt; [hidden email] &gt; escreveu:

Which image are you using?
Because on mine = core 10371
deprecatedWarning  = on
I do not get them.

Stef

On Aug 11, 2009, at 11:58 PM, Lawson English wrote:

&gt; Alexandre Bergel wrote:
&gt;&gt;&gt; Great to hear. However, pharo gets upset by putting 'eureka'.
&gt;&gt;&gt; 'EUREKA'
&gt;&gt;&gt; into the method finder.
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Says that is EVIL.
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Interesting bug. The problem comes from the deprecation of
&gt;&gt; String&gt;&gt;asCharacter
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1062
&gt;&gt
;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; I gotta assume that that is just a simple bug, right, or is that
&gt;&gt;&gt; facility no longer to be supported for some reason.
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Apparently, a number of deprecations in String are problematic
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Try: 'abc' . 'd'. 'abcd'
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Alexandre
&gt;&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; I get    ByteString(SequenceableCollection)&gt;&gt;upTo: has been
&gt; deprecated.
&gt; Use #copyUpTo:
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Lawson
&gt;
&gt; _______________________________________________
&gt; Pharo-project mailing list
&gt; [hidden email]
&gt; http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

Johan Brichau

On 12 Aug 2009, at 00:06, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> Apparently, a number of deprecations in String are problematic
>>
>> Try: 'abc' . 'd'. 'abcd'
>
> I get
> 'abc' , 'd' first -->'abcd'
> with 10371 and deprecation on.

Alex's code works on 10431
Stef's code not (but it's consistent with VW and Squeak that way - you
did mean to append a char to a string, did you?)

----------------------------
Johan Brichau

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

strange yesterday it said that there is no method
and now find asUppercase.....

Apparently stringVersion in MethodReference is broken.

Stef
On Aug 12, 2009, at 2:07 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> If you proceed when getting evil and afterwards the warning that the
> method shouldn't be used don't you get String>>asUppercase?
>

> Em 11/08/2009 19:03, Stéphane Ducasse &lt; [hidden email]
> &gt; escreveu:
>

> 'eureka' . ' EUREKA'
>
> I get no single method....

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.x should adopt Pharo 1.0

Mariano
what do you mean that you cannot copy?

>  Pharo1.0beta latest update: #10413.
>
> BTW: it's not possible to copy text from the About this System
> Dialog...
>
> Here in Linux works using ctrl + c   not only to a workspace (inside
> image) but also to an external program.
>

> Em 11/08/2009 19:05, Stéphane Ducasse &lt; [hidden email]
> &gt; escreveu:
>

> Which image are you using?
> Because on mine = core 10371
> deprecatedWarning  = on