Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

12

Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

Chris Muller-3
I managed to successfully incorporate the ARM platform into the 5.0
All-In-One -- so Squeak 5 will now start up with one-click on FOUR
platforms, OOTB..!!

I'm thankful to this community for collaborating to produce and shake
out the 4.6 release.  As this is a special dual release, your help is
needed one more time to help shake out this 5.0 release.  Would you
please download this latest Squeak-5.0-All-in-One and check it out?
We still have a chance to avoid obvious bugs, but we want to keep it
as close to the 4.6 release as possible.

   http://ftp.squeak.org/5.0/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.zip

Here are some things I've noticed already, but I need your help to
figure out how to deal with them:

  - someone said the VM is crashing in the Jenkins build due to
ImageSegments tests.  Do we want to disable those tests?

  - Actually, when I ran the tests in the image, there was no VM
crash, but the dialog, "Running all tests might take a some minutes"
(<--- hey that's some nice grammar there Marcel!  ;-)   ) appeared
TWICE.  When I clicked "Yes" the first time they ran, "Yes" a second
time, no effect.  Just a strange UI bug..?

- Look at the image size, its DOUBLE the size of the 4.6 image.  Why?

I'm getting excited, thank you!!
  Chris

Re: Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

Chris Muller-3
In running the tests in the image, I also noticed this appeared on the console:

38451353:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
protocol:../../ssl/s23_clnt.c:552:

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I managed to successfully incorporate the ARM platform into the 5.0
> All-In-One -- so Squeak 5 will now start up with one-click on FOUR
> platforms, OOTB..!!
>
> I'm thankful to this community for collaborating to produce and shake
> out the 4.6 release.  As this is a special dual release, your help is
> needed one more time to help shake out this 5.0 release.  Would you
> please download this latest Squeak-5.0-All-in-One and check it out?
> We still have a chance to avoid obvious bugs, but we want to keep it
> as close to the 4.6 release as possible.
>
>    http://ftp.squeak.org/5.0/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.zip
>
> Here are some things I've noticed already, but I need your help to
> figure out how to deal with them:
>
>   - someone said the VM is crashing in the Jenkins build due to
> ImageSegments tests.  Do we want to disable those tests?
>
>   - Actually, when I ran the tests in the image, there was no VM
> crash, but the dialog, "Running all tests might take a some minutes"
> (<--- hey that's some nice grammar there Marcel!  ;-)   ) appeared
> TWICE.  When I clicked "Yes" the first time they ran, "Yes" a second
> time, no effect.  Just a strange UI bug..?
>
> - Look at the image size, its DOUBLE the size of the 4.6 image.  Why?
>
> I'm getting excited, thank you!!
>   Chris

Re: Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

timrowledge

On 23-07-2015, at 8:55 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I managed to successfully incorporate the ARM platform into the 5.0
> All-In-One -- so Squeak 5 will now start up with one-click on FOUR
> platforms, OOTB..!!

Excellent - one tiny change needs to be made to let it work on a Pi2 though; the shell script test for ARMv6l, which is correct for PiA+, B * B+ but the Pi2 is ARMv7. With that changed it fired up on my pi2 ok.

> - Look at the image size, its DOUBLE the size of the 4.6 image.  Why?

Space analysis on my Pi2 shows a lot of MC* objects, which as we’ve seen before seem to hold onto a lot of the 4Mb of String and quite a few arrays, symbols etc listed.

Oh, and I noticed in the Contents/Resources directory that there seems to be a spare _test.[image|changes] pair. Presumably not actually wanted?

tim
EBCDIC: Erase, Back up, Chew Disk, Ignite Card

Re: Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

Karl Ramberg
Great work :-)

It seems control and alt keys are not swapped so out of the box you have to use alt+c to copy text on Windows.

Karl

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 5:55 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

StackMorph initializion causes a DNU in Objects tool Presentation category.

:-(

I don't really understand why this does not work now, what can have changed with this tool lately ??

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 7:41 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Herbert König
Hey, great!

downloaded it on the Pi A+ installed my trusty 24/7 cat surveillance app
and it worked.
CPU usage went down from 50 to 40%.  It exercises BitBlt, Collections,
file I/O incl. GPIO, OSProcess and CommandShell
Memory went up from 52M to 75M which is critical as I use the PiNoir Camera.

I'll watch what comes out of Tim's (Rowledge) recent post.

And I'll watch if it runs as stable as 4.5.

Thanks,

Herbert

Am 23.07.2015 um 17:55 schrieb Chris Muller:
> I managed to successfully incorporate the ARM platform into the 5.0
> All-In-One -- so Squeak 5 will now start up with one-click on FOUR
> platforms, OOTB..!!

vm3410 segfault in SUnits (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB)

timrowledge
Dang; the 3410 Pi vm segfaults somewhere in StandardSourceFileArrayTest but the slightly older 3402 vm I’m using with my Scratch work doesn’t. Both with the all-in-one image of course.

tim
Abdicate (v.), to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.

On 23-07-2015, at 11:17 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey, great!
>
> downloaded it on the Pi A+ installed my trusty 24/7 cat surveillance app and it worked.
> CPU usage went down from 50 to 40%.  It exercises BitBlt, Collections, file I/O incl. GPIO, OSProcess and CommandShell
> Memory went up from 52M to 75M which is critical as I use the PiNoir Camera.

Well the base image is about 20M bigger than the base 4.5 one for some reason, so that explains most of it. The VM is a touch bigger since it has the Cog translation system now, so you should notice a dramatic speedup.

tim
Useful random insult:- He has a tenuous grip on the obvious.

Re: Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

Herbert König
Hi,

speedup depends on what is exercised. See my previous post. I get about
20% in my app which I'll gladly use for a higher framerate but I don't
consider that dramatic.
My first priority is stability. Then I'll check which parts of the
program account for the improvements.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 23.07.2015 um 20:28 schrieb tim Rowledge:

> On 23-07-2015, at 11:17 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey, great!
>>
>> downloaded it on the Pi A+ installed my trusty 24/7 cat surveillance app and it worked.
>> CPU usage went down from 50 to 40%.  It exercises BitBlt, Collections, file I/O incl. GPIO, OSProcess and CommandShell
>> Memory went up from 52M to 75M which is critical as I use the PiNoir Camera.
> Well the base image is about 20M bigger than the base 4.5 one for some reason, so that explains most of it. The VM is a touch bigger since it has the Cog translation system now, so you should notice a dramatic speedup.
>

> tim
> Useful random insult:- He has a tenuous grip on the obvious.

Re: Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

Herbert König

I noticed some glitches:
When I use list filtering for the instvars in an inspector the list
doesn't automatically  return to normal. Maybe a preference I missed.
When I play with that list filtering at some point the CPU goes up to
90% and does not return until I shut down the image.
The right click (personal) World menu has lost the entry to disable the
main docking bar. I disabled it via preferences.

Otherwise it survived the first hour :-))

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 23.07.2015 um 20:17 schrieb Herbert König:

> Hey, great!
>
> downloaded it on the Pi A+ installed my trusty 24/7 cat surveillance
> app and it worked.
> CPU usage went down from 50 to 40%.  It exercises BitBlt, Collections,
> file I/O incl. GPIO, OSProcess and CommandShell
> Memory went up from 52M to 75M which is critical as I use the PiNoir
> Camera.
>
> I'll watch what comes out of Tim's (Rowledge) recent post.
>
> And I'll watch if it runs as stable as 4.5.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herbert
>

> Am 23.07.2015 um 17:55 schrieb Chris Muller:
>> I managed to successfully incorporate the ARM platform into the 5.0
>> All-In-One -- so Squeak 5 will now start up with one-click on FOUR
>> platforms, OOTB..!!

Re: Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

Levente Uzonyi-2
I think it's related to the segmented memory model of Spur, which uses
more memmory than the the compact model of pre-Spur Squeak.
I think in Spur there should be a primivite which condenses all
(non-pinned) segments, and minimizes their number. I'd probably be worth
using such thing on "Save and Quit", because that way all pinned objects
could be condensed too.

Levente

On 23-07-2015, at 2:43 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it's related to the segmented memory model of Spur, which uses more memmory than the the compact model of pre-Spur Squeak.
 Highly unlikely  to make for a 16Mb -> 35Mb jump.

tim
If you don't pay the exorcist do you get repossessed?

On 23-07-2015, at 2:54 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23-07-2015, at 2:43 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think it's related to the segmented memory model of Spur, which uses more memmory than the the compact model of pre-Spur Squeak.
> Highly unlikely  to make for a 16Mb -> 35Mb jump.

If you run the Space Analysis within the ‘About Squeak’ applet, it claims that the image has 300,000 objects taking up 25Mb . So somewhere there is 9Mb ‘wasted’ in some fashion. Since the tally code finds object sizes via a primitive that takes into account header sizes it should be adding up ok.
There *is* code that avoids writing free space in each of the segments when snapshotting, as well as doing a garbage collect. So all in all, I’m puzzled where the space comes from. Run it under sim I guess and find out...

tim
Loyalty oaths.Secret searches.No-fly lists.Detention without legal recourse.
Remind me - who won the cold war?

Re: Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

Chris Muller-3
>> I managed to successfully incorporate the ARM platform into the 5.0
>> All-In-One -- so Squeak 5 will now start up with one-click on FOUR
>> platforms, OOTB..!!
>
> Excellent - one tiny change needs to be made to let it work on a Pi2 though; the shell script test for ARMv6l, which is correct for PiA+, B * B+ but the Pi2 is ARMv7. With that changed it fired up on my pi2 ok.

Is it case-sensitive?  Mine reported armv6l, not ARMv6l.  If it is,
I'll bet on consistency, if it isn't, lowercase won't matter.  I added
a check for armv7l.

>> - Look at the image size, its DOUBLE the size of the 4.6 image.  Why?
>
> Space analysis on my Pi2 shows a lot of MC* objects, which as we’ve seen before seem to hold onto a lot of the 4Mb of String and quite a few arrays, symbols etc listed.

I can't believe MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches is not part of
#prepareNewRelease (which makes me wonder whether 4.6 may have a bunch
of cached versions.. please no!).  I'm adding it.

Oops..

Is this the same as 4.6?

Re: Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

Chris Muller-3
It appears I may have had my .prefs file loaded when I ran
#prepareNewRelease, which sets many preferences but not all of them.
The ones it doesn't set were left to my preference.  I was surprised
to notice my scratch pad preference was on, it shouldn't be for the
release (actually it should!  but I won't go there..   :)   ).

I'll have to fix this... somehow.  Now we know why Bert wants to
support Preferences outOfTheBox.  The one use-case we're missing is,
we need to be able to _generate_ a #defaultValueTableForCurrentRelease
from current preference settings..

On 23-07-2015, at 8:03 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Excellent - one tiny change needs to be made to let it work on a Pi2 though; the shell script test for ARMv6l, which is correct for PiA+, B * B+ but the Pi2 is ARMv7. With that changed it fired up on my pi2 ok.
>
> Is it case-sensitive?  Mine reported armv6l, not ARMv6l.  If it is,
> I'll bet on consistency, if it isn't, lowercase won't matter.  I added
> a check for armv7l.

`uname -m` seems to return all lower case ‘armv7l’ on my particular Pi2 so I imagine that is typical.

>>> - Look at the image size, its DOUBLE the size of the 4.6 image.  Why?
>>
>> Space analysis on my Pi2 shows a lot of MC* objects, which as we’ve seen before seem to hold onto a lot of the 4Mb of String and quite a few arrays, symbols etc listed.
>
> I can't believe MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches is not part of
> #prepareNewRelease (which makes me wonder whether 4.6 may have a bunch
> of cached versions.. please no!).  I'm adding it.

What I’m a bit puzzled about is that I have now tried out an assortment of MC reduction stuff -
        MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
        MCDefinition clearInstances.
        MCWorkingCopy stubAllAncestryForScratchRelease.
        MCWorkingCopy allManagers do: [:wc | wc unregister].
        Project allSubInstancesDo:[:pr| pr resourceManager reset].
for example and it isn’t making any change to the image size at all so far as I can tell. I’ve even whacked the stubAncestry to to cut back to a single stub instead of 10 and no effect can be seen. Sumfing not right here...

>> Oh, and I noticed in the Contents/Resources directory that there seems to be a spare _test.[image|changes] pair. Presumably not actually wanted?
>
> Oops..

Many, many oops. Around 300,000 in that image :-)

tim
Strange OpCodes: WAF: Warn After the Fact

Re: Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

marcel.taeumel
I cannot reproduce the bug with the duplicate prompt. All tests ran after hitting the 'Yes' button.

SUnit Results
-------------
3763 run, 3703 passes, 24 expected failures, 31 failures, 5 errors, 0 unexpected passes

Best,
Marcel

re: diagnosing Spur object memory growth (was "Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB")

ccrraaiigg

Hi Tim and all--

> ...somewhere there is 9Mb ‘wasted’ in some fashion... Run it under
> sim I guess and find out...

     If anyone has done this, please let me know what you found, so I'll
know a bit more going in. Seems like a good use for [1].

-C

[1] http://netjam.org/context/viz

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

Re: Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

Karl Ramberg
The FileList services is not initialized to read .prefs from FileList in the 5.0 image.

Do it:
FileList initialize

Then you can load any saved preference file with the FileList.

Karl

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 5:46 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
It appears I may have had my .prefs file loaded when I ran
#prepareNewRelease, which sets many preferences but not all of them.
The ones it doesn't set were left to my preference.  I was surprised
to notice my scratch pad preference was on, it shouldn't be for the
release (actually it should!  but I won't go there..   :)   ).

I'll have to fix this... somehow.  Now we know why Bert wants to
support Preferences outOfTheBox.  The one use-case we're missing is,
we need to be able to _generate_ a #defaultValueTableForCurrentRelease
from current preference settings..

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed some glitches:
> When I use list filtering for the instvars in an inspector the list doesn't
> automatically  return to normal. Maybe a preference I missed.
> When I play with that list filtering at some point the CPU goes up to 90%
> and does not return until I shut down the image.
> The right click (personal) World menu has lost the entry to disable the main
> docking bar. I disabled it via preferences.
>
> Otherwise it survived the first hour :-))
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbert
>

> Am 23.07.2015 um 20:17 schrieb Herbert König:
>>
>> Hey, great!
>>
>> downloaded it on the Pi A+ installed my trusty 24/7 cat surveillance app
>> and it worked.
>> CPU usage went down from 50 to 40%.  It exercises BitBlt, Collections,
>> file I/O incl. GPIO, OSProcess and CommandShell
>> Memory went up from 52M to 75M which is critical as I use the PiNoir
>> Camera.
>>
>> I'll watch what comes out of Tim's (Rowledge) recent post.
>>
>> And I'll watch if it runs as stable as 4.5.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Herbert
>>

>> Am 23.07.2015 um 17:55 schrieb Chris Muller:
>>>
>>> I managed to successfully incorporate the ARM platform into the 5.0
>>> All-In-One -- so Squeak 5 will now start up with one-click on FOUR
>>> platforms, OOTB..!!

12