Squeak All-in-One

12

Re: Squeak All-in-One

Bert Freudenberg
On 30.04.2010, at 04:33, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 02:13:30PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> Also, we could add more VMs if people provide them, though these three
>> should go a long way.
>> Not sure what to do about 64 bit Linux, maybe just tweak the script to
>> run the 32 bit version anyway?
>
> IMO tweaking the script to run the 32-bit VM is the best thing to do
> right now. It gives more consistency in the plugins (some are still
> not available in 64-bit form), and the only real downside is the need
> to install 32-bit runtime libraries. I expect that it is easier to
> explain to new users that they need to install 32-bit libraries from
> their Linux distro than it is to explain way some Squeak capabilities
> do not work if they happen to be using a 64-bit OS.
>
> Dave

Sounds good. What is the output of this on your 64 bit machine?

        echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`

... or send me a patched Squeak.sh :)

- Bert -

Re: Squeak All-in-One

Ian Trudel-2
Does this Squeak All-In-One need a shiny Windows installer?

Ian.
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: Squeak All-in-One

Hannes Hirzel
Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends. I currently use the All-In-One in a
'portable' way (like www.portableapps.com).

I keep the folder in a data area (or on a pendrive) and open it from
the MSWindows and Linux (dual boot).

Actually I consider everything there as 'data'.

--Hannes

On 4/30/10, Ian Trudel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does this Squeak All-In-One need a shiny Windows installer?
>
> Ian.
> --
> http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: Squeak All-in-One

Bert Freudenberg
On 30.04.2010, at 05:05, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 4/29/2010 2:51 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Agreed. Let's build it. But Amazon marketing be damned, please don't call it "1-click". Makes me cringe every time.
>>
>> Actually ... I just made one. Only tested on Mac and Linux-i686, but chances are it works on Windows, too:
>>
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments/Squeak-4.1-All-in-One.zip
>
> This is great! I see someone has already put a copy into the 4.1 directory - should we put this up as a download option on www.squeak.org, perhaps labeled "Universal Install"? (to make clear that it applies to all platforms)
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
People seem to like it, it appears to work, sure, should be on the download page.

Not sure about "Universal Install" - it's not a proper installation at all, more like a teaser. Something more like

=============
If you just want to try Squeak, download this all-in-one package which will work without installation on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. After unzipping, double click it ("Squeak.exe" on Windows, "Squeak.sh" on Linux).
=============

I see this mostly as teaser for beginners at this point.

It also is a more visible template for how to deploy desktop Squeak applications. This scheme exists for at least 4 years now (*), but is still somewhat unknown in the community. We *do* have a documentation problem ;)

- Bert -

(*) from http://www.esug.org/data/ESUG2006/esug06_inno_aw_plopp.pdf

Application Directory Layout: We came up with a portable directory structure which keeps Mac, Windows, and Linux VMs, image and content data in a single place. On the Mac, you simply drag-and-drop the Plopp application icon from the CD to your application folder, and double-click it to run. The very same icon appears as directory on Windows and Linux. Once copied to the hard-drive, double-clicking Croquet.exe or Croquet.sh in that directory launches Plopp.

And while impara (headed by Michael Rueger) won the price, this also depended on VM features added by John McIntosh and Andreas Raab for Mac and Windows. Only unix with its shell scripting was flexible enough to not need a VM change, so I could do that one my own ;)

esugwinner1.jpg (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Squeak All-in-One

Bert Freudenberg
On 30.04.2010, at 10:23, Ian Trudel wrote:

> Does this Squeak All-In-One need a shiny Windows installer?

No. One of the major advantages is that this does not need any installation. Unzip and run.

That's a major plus IMHO, you can tell people to just try, because it does not do harm to their system. If they do not want it any longer they just delete it and it's gone.

- Bert -

Re: Squeak All-in-One

Bert Freudenberg
Yep, that's where the "Etoys-To-Go" idea comes from. It's typically installed to a USB memory stick. Can be plugged into any machine, keeps all data on the stick itself (in a folder next to Etoys-To-Go). But unlike those other "portable apps" the same stick not only works under Windows, but Mac and Linux too :)

- Bert -

On 30.04.2010, at 10:39, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends. I currently use the All-In-One in a
> 'portable' way (like www.portableapps.com).
>
> I keep the folder in a data area (or on a pendrive) and open it from
> the MSWindows and Linux (dual boot).
>
> Actually I consider everything there as 'data'.
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 4/30/10, Ian Trudel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does this Squeak All-In-One need a shiny Windows installer?
>>
>> Ian.
>> --
>> http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: Squeak All-in-One

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:08:06AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 30.04.2010, at 04:33, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 02:13:30PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >>
> >> Also, we could add more VMs if people provide them, though these three
> >> should go a long way.
> >> Not sure what to do about 64 bit Linux, maybe just tweak the script to
> >> run the 32 bit version anyway?
> >
> > IMO tweaking the script to run the 32-bit VM is the best thing to do
> > right now. It gives more consistency in the plugins (some are still
> > not available in 64-bit form), and the only real downside is the need
> > to install 32-bit runtime libraries. I expect that it is easier to
> > explain to new users that they need to install 32-bit libraries from
> > their Linux distro than it is to explain way some Squeak capabilities
> > do not work if they happen to be using a 64-bit OS.
>
> Sounds good. What is the output of this on your 64 bit machine?
>
> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
$ echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
Linux-x86_64

> ... or send me a patched Squeak.sh :)

Here is an etoys.sh that works for me.

Dave

etoys.sh (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Squeak All-in-One

Bert Freudenberg
On 30.04.2010, at 13:50, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:08:06AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> IMO tweaking the script to run the 32-bit VM is the best thing to do
>>> right now. It gives more consistency in the plugins (some are still
>>> not available in 64-bit form), and the only real downside is the need
>>> to install 32-bit runtime libraries. I expect that it is easier to
>>> explain to new users that they need to install 32-bit libraries from
>>> their Linux distro than it is to explain way some Squeak capabilities
>>> do not work if they happen to be using a 64-bit OS.
>>
>> Sounds good. What is the output of this on your 64 bit machine?
>>
>> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>
> $ echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
> Linux-x86_64
>

>> ... or send me a patched Squeak.sh :)
>
> Here is an etoys.sh that works for me.
>
> Dave
>
> <etoys.sh>

Cool, thanks.

Do you think it's possible to check if the 32 bit support is installed, to warn the user? E.g., parse the output of "ldd $VM" to see if libraries are missing. Or something.

- Bert -

Re: Squeak All-in-One

Bert Freudenberg
On 30.04.2010, at 13:50, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:08:06AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> IMO tweaking the script to run the 32-bit VM is the best thing to do
>>> right now. It gives more consistency in the plugins (some are still
>>> not available in 64-bit form), and the only real downside is the need
>>> to install 32-bit runtime libraries. I expect that it is easier to
>>> explain to new users that they need to install 32-bit libraries from
>>> their Linux distro than it is to explain way some Squeak capabilities
>>> do not work if they happen to be using a 64-bit OS.
>>
>> Sounds good. What is the output of this on your 64 bit machine?
>>
>> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>
> $ echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
> Linux-x86_64
>

>> ... or send me a patched Squeak.sh :)
>
> Here is an etoys.sh that works for me.

I updated both Etoys-To-Go and Squeak-All-In-One with this. Made it print a warning though. Thanks :)

- Bert -

Re: Squeak All-in-One

NISHIHARA Satoshi
Hello

muO-All-in-Onev2.zip, can't boot on my Mac.
Please change "SqueakImageName" key of app/Contents/Info.plist, to
correct image fine name: "Squeak3.8.2-6779+muO235.image" (not include path).

it can't to run all tests, because of vm crash.
2 testcases
UnixProcessFileLockingTestCase
UnixProcessTestCase
cause a VM crashing.

Except 2 testcases above, the result is...

3076 run, 3039 passes, 0 expected failures, 27 failures, 10 errors, 0
unexpected passes

regards.

on 10/04/29 23:45, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> Okay that seems to be fixed in
>> http://www.filebanker.com/muo-all-in-onev2
>
> yes, very nice: all tests are green.
>
> thanks for your work, this definitely is inspiring.
>
> I tried the All-in-One in linux:
>
>    - the squeak.sh script must be updated to the new image name (BTW
> where is the similar setting for MacOS, if any ?)
>    - I had to set permissions for squeak.sh and bin/squeak since they
> were not executable by default.
>    - the mouse buttons for halo and context menus were inversed, so the
> behavior is not the same on Linux and Windows
>
> I have no Mac so could not test the third platform.
>
> thanks again,
>
> Stef

西原聡士 (NISHIHARA Satoshi)

OSProcess reported crashing Mac VM (was: [squeak-dev] Squeak All-in-One)

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:12:26PM +0900, NISHIHARA Satoshi wrote:

> Hello
>
> muO-All-in-Onev2.zip, can't boot on my Mac.
> Please change "SqueakImageName" key of app/Contents/Info.plist, to
> correct image fine name: "Squeak3.8.2-6779+muO235.image" (not include path).
>
> it can't to run all tests, because of vm crash.
> 2 testcases
> UnixProcessFileLockingTestCase
> UnixProcessTestCase
> cause a VM crashing.

Thank you very much for reporting the VM crash.

I do not have a Mac to test this, but if anyone has further
information on which primitive is crashing, I'd appreciate hearing
further. Obviously save your image first ;-)

Dave

Re: OSProcess reported crashing Mac VM (was: [squeak-dev] Squeak All-in-One)

NISHIHARA Satoshi
Hello

The crashing  primitives are:
UnixOSProcessAccessor>>#primForkSqueak
UnixOSProcessAccessor>>#primOldForkSqueak

crashing methods are:
UnixProcessFileLockingTestCase
        testCooperatingProcesses01
        testCooperatingProcesses02
        testCooperatingProcesses03
        testCooperatingProcesses04
        testCooperatingProcesses05
        testLockEntireFileForWrite01
        testLockEntireFileForWrite02
        testLockEntireFileForWrite03
        testLockEntireFileForWrite04
        testLockEntireFileForWrite05
        testLockEntireFileForWrite06
        testLockRegionForRead01
        testLockRegionForRead02
        testLockRegionForWrite01
        testLockRegionForWrite02
        testLockRegionForWrite03
        testLockRegionForWrite04
        testLockRegionForWrite05
        testLockRegionForWrite06
        testLockRegionForWrite07
        testLockRegionForWrite08

UnixProcessTestCase
        testClassForkHeadlessSqueakAndDo
        testClassForkHeadlessSqueakAndDoThenQuit
        testClassForkSqueak
        testClassForkSqueakAndDo
        testClassForkSqueakAndDoThenQuit
        testEightLeafSqueakTree
        testHeadlessChild
        testSpawnTenHeadlessChildren
        testForkHeadlessSqueakAndDo
        testForkHeadlessSqueakAndDoThenQuit
        testForkSqueak
        testForkSqueakAndDo
        testForkSqueakAndDoThenQuit

my environment is
muO All-in-One.app (app/Contents/Info.plist changed, only)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30)
MacBookPro5,1, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz

regards.

On 2010/05/02, at 00:15, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:12:26PM +0900, NISHIHARA Satoshi wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> muO-All-in-Onev2.zip, can't boot on my Mac.
>> Please change "SqueakImageName" key of app/Contents/Info.plist, to
>> correct image fine name: "Squeak3.8.2-6779+muO235.image" (not
>> include path).
>>
>> it can't to run all tests, because of vm crash.
>> 2 testcases
>> UnixProcessFileLockingTestCase
>> UnixProcessTestCase
>> cause a VM crashing.
>
> Thank you very much for reporting the VM crash.
>
> I do not have a Mac to test this, but if anyone has further
> information on which primitive is crashing, I'd appreciate hearing
> further. Obviously save your image first ;-)
>
> Dave

Re: OSProcess reported crashing Mac VM (was: [squeak-dev] Squeak All-in-One)

David T. Lewis
Thanks, this is very helpful. These tests are all using #primForkSqueak
to run a headless background Squeak process. I think that this used
to work on OS X, although I am not certain.

As a workaround until this can be fixed, you can prevent the VM crash
like this:

UnixOSProcessAccessor>>primForkSqueak
        self primitiveFailed "broken on OS X"

Dave