Squeak Awk Rumor

SmallSqueak
Dear Squeaker,

        Does any one know where is Squeak Awk available for
        download?

        It is rumored Squeak Awk will be used to run the robots
        in the Sun SPOT project (NASA is going to land the
        robots on the sun to count the spots?).

        Let's hope some Squeak robotics expert will confirm or
        deny this rumor.

        Oh, BTW, that Squeak Awk is named Squawk and it's a VM.

        Cheers,

        SmallSqueak

Re: Squeak Awk Rumor

Gary Fisher-3
(NASA is going to land the robots on the sun to count the spots?).

Ah, it seems to me the first test landing resulted in SqAsh (Squeak on
Atomically Sublimated Hardware) and ended as SqRap (Squeak Returning As
Photons).

Gary

re: Squeak Awk Rumor

ccrraaiigg

 > It is rumored Squeak Awk will be used to run the robots in the Sun
 > SPOT project (NASA is going to land the robots on the sun to count the
 > spots?)... Oh, BTW, that Squeak Awk is named Squawk and it's a VM.

        Squawk has nothing to do with awk. It's Java implemented in Java,
inspired by Squeak's reflective VM approach. Project Sun SPOT ("Small
Programmable Object Technology") is a wireless sensor network platform,
featuring devices which run Squawk; see [1]. If you're in the San
Francisco Bay Area, you can see the stuff at this weekend's Maker Faire[2].

        I have no affiliation with Sun, but I used to work with a few of the
people who now work on this (none of the above information comes from
them :).

-C

[1] http://www.sunspotworld.com
[2] http://makezine.com/faire

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: Squeak Awk Rumor

Chris Muller-2
Gary, you just took care of my ab workout.  Thanks!

Re: Squeak Awk Rumor

SmallSqueak
Hi Craig,

    Sorry, couldn't get back to you sooner.

    I'm just back from a trip.
    (Oh man, those mushrooms are gooood ;-)

>  > It is rumored Squeak Awk will be used to run the robots in the Sun
>  > SPOT project (NASA is going to land the robots on the sun to count the
>  > spots?)... Oh, BTW, that Squeak Awk is named Squawk and it's a VM.
>
> Squawk has nothing to do with awk. It's Java implemented in Java,
> inspired by Squeak's reflective VM approach. Project Sun SPOT ("Small
> Programmable Object Technology") is a wireless sensor network platform,
> featuring devices which run Squawk; see [1].
>

> [1] http://www.sunspotworld.com

    Thanks for the link.

    So, Sun SPOT project has nothing to do with counting the
    spots on the sun and Sqawk has nothing to do with Awk.

    Maybe Sun is just trying to make people think that these
    robots have "Squeak Inside" (TM ;-)

    I hope The Board will take some kind of action!

    Since Andrew is not on board, litigation is out of the question. ;-)

    To make best use of the strength of The Board and to beat Sun
    at its own game, let's hope SqF will spend 500 bucks to get
    couple of SPOT's, load them with S4ME (Squeak 4 Micro Edition)
    to show the world what it really means to have "Squeak Inside"
    the robots.

    Cheers,

    SmallSqueak.

Re: Squeak Awk Rumor

Noury Bouraqadi
Hi,

Le 24 avr. 06, à 20:54, SmallSqueak a écrit :

>> [1] http://www.sunspotworld.com
>

>     To make best use of the strength of The Board and to beat Sun
>     at its own game, let's hope SqF will spend 500 bucks to get
>     couple of SPOT's, load them with S4ME (Squeak 4 Micro Edition)
>     to show the world what it really means to have "Squeak Inside"
>     the robots.

What is S4ME ? Is it Squeak on top of J2ME ? I googled it and found
nothing.

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

re: Squeak Awk Rumor

ccrraaiigg

Hi Noury--

 > What is S4ME ? Is it Squeak on top of J2ME ? I googled it and found
 > nothing.

        It's nothing; PhiHo made it up, along with a bunch of other weird stuff
in his original message. :)

-C